16 Altima Navigation software update

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
just learnin
Car: 18 Rogue Sport
19 Frontier
13 Ram 2500
01 Civic
12 Jetta

Hey Guys / Gals,
does anyone know how to update their OEM navigation head units software version from a bench? I have 2 2016 altima navi units with 2 different software versions and would like to update them to the latest SW version for the 13-17 Bosch units (LCN2kai). I was able to power them up on bench using a regulated power supply (Pyramid PS-15kx) and I was able to go through the user interface on both units and they looked different. One was manufactured in 2015 the other in 2017 and both worked in the vehicle after I connected each wire via jumper cables (no cutting, plug and play).

You may ask yourself why, and I did too after I realized what I signed up for. Basically, I am doing a final project for a Linux developer class. The professor asked us to either create a software or manipulate a software for his 2016 Altima that would benefit the driver. Of course everyone wanted to make a dash mounted camera that measured something not necessary, but I noticed that my professor had a basic radio (no display or touch) in his 16 Altima. Well, apparently only certain trims come with navigation and a new replacement cost 3500.00 from Nissan...

I am stuck on the updating part, professor is too scared to let me plug this Consult 3 plus program and OBD tool into his OBD port (for Bose and Camera configuration) and the Bosch Software Version via USB does not work, so updating on a bench would be the best option. I have invested $0 dollars into this project, both units were junkyard no-power navis (fixed by re-soldering components on board). I will pass the class, however my professor asked for this extra step after I notified him that the SW version is different between between the 2 units. I am making something work in an environment that wasn't intended for it (the plugs are clearly different), but here is the fun part: It seems to be a linux OS, which can be manipulated even further :chuckle: .

Any help would be great, I would ask stack exchange /overflow, but reaching out to Nissan hackers and enthusiast would be the best start. :)

Anything I find I will share here because I believe in Open Source!

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”