14 Altima 2.5SL Windshield Wiper

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
boymimbo
Car: Altima 2.5 SL Black

Bought 2014 Altima a little over two weeks ago. Up until yesterday, all worked well, including wipers in various states of rain.

Yesterday, drove car from work, travelling about 75mph. It's raining, and the wipers are on normal (LO) speed. All of a sudden, wipers stopped working. I thought for a second that I had mistakenly turned them off, and tried flipping them on and off again. Nothing happens - windshields are in the down position. i slowed down (couldn't see) and tried to pull over, then the windshields just started working again. Drove again, slower now (70mph) leaving room around vehicles in case it happens again, and about a minute later, in the same rain, windshields stopped working again. I started the process of pulling over again, and they stopped working again, this time, the wipers were in mid stream in the middle of my windshield. i tried using the wash function to automatically get the wipers working again to no avail.

In all three cases, the wipers stopped working for a period of somewhere between what seemed to be between 10 and 45 seconds (though when panicking time seems longer).

After the third time, the wipers worked again, and in light rain, i was able to complete the 2 hour drive home with the wipers working the rest of the way home, confident that there was enough room in front of me that should the wipers stopped working again i would be able to pull off fairly easily before my visibility was reduced to zero.

Obviously this is a very dangerous situation. i checked the NHSTA web site and there is one report of this happening with the '13 Altima. i looked at the service manual and it seems that the sympton i am seeing is what is seen on WW-50 -- Front Wiper Motor Protection Function: IPDM E/R MAY STOP the front wiper to protect the front wiper motor if any obstruction (operation resistance) such as a large amount of snow is detected during the front wiper operation. at that time turn off the front wiper and remove the foreign object. Then wait 20 seconds and reactivate. Wiper will operate normally. But they call this normal operations. The only obstruction on the windshield was the rain.

i will take the car in to Nissan early next week but i have a feeling that they will find nothing. Obviously i feel unsafe driving the car.

What do I do to ensure that the car is safe to drive and Nissan takes the right steps to fix my problem?

Thanks,
Tim

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Why don't you take your Altima to the dealership and have them look into the matter. Potential safety recalls can only be instigated when enough people report the problems.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”