12V battery replacement in M35h

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
trecu
Car: Infiniti M35h

Good afternoon all,

I am new in this forum and I would like to take the opportunity to say hello to everybody.

I have owned a M35h since 2012 very proudly in Spain and I have to say that I am very happy with the car . The fuel consumption is not the strongest point of this car but the reliability that I have had til this moment is unquestionable.

However, I have been outside the country for a while and the 12V battery has run out of power. I have called the official/authorized dealer and they tell me that replacing one will take 15 days because it is imported from Japan!! and on the top of that the price I have to pay is close to 600 euro!!! wt*!!! I know that it is a 70A battery but the limitation of the space to install it (space equivalent to a 60amp battery) normal batteries do not fit.

Any suggestions of this respect? Do you know any equivalent battery with the same specs that could fit on it??

Also, I was thinking on installing roof rack (bars) because the trunk space being hybrid is very limited but it looks like that, again, the only place where you can find the proper adapter (to fit in the M35H) is in the retailer and just the racks cost 1000euro.....I tried to go with another options like rhino rack but are very limited in Spain and not available as far as I know.

Any suggestions again with this issue? I have tried also to contact Thule directly but they supply the adapter to Infinit so they will never sell it directly to the customer....

I hope someone can help me with this not very common issues.

Thanks in advance!! :dblthumb:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum. Moving this to the correct forum.

I can't help you with either issue as I've never even seen an M35h in person, but I'm sure some of our members can assist.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

The conventional battery in the M35H is just that, a conventional battery. You should be able to get a replacement at a local automotive battery supplier. The group size SHOULD be a 24F. Have them check the OEM battery to make sure.

For the roof rack it looks like Inno and Yakima, in addition to Rhino Rack, have products available for the 11+ M-series cars. The hard part is finding them in Spain. This is where I am really of no help. :frown:

trecu
Car: Infiniti M35h

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Regarding the roof rack type, because it is the same connection used in the M37/M45(I think), is it normal roof, fixed point,.....??? . Unfortunately I do not have access to the car right now and I cannot verify this point to ask for quotations.

Anyway, I will look at them deeply (regarding the battery model and roof racks) and if I find any model for any of them I will post it. If someone else in the future have the same issues will have a direct answer.

Thanks again.

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Debonair wrote:The conventional battery in the M35H is just that, a conventional battery. You should be able to get a replacement at a local automotive battery supplier. The group size SHOULD be a 24F. Have them check the OEM battery to make sure.

For the roof rack it looks like Inno and Yakima, in addition to Rhino Rack, have products available for the 11+ M-series cars. The hard part is finding them in Spain. This is where I am really of no help. :frown:
No it's a special battery, and for some reason they cost a fortune. It's externally vented and installed in the trunk. Get it on a charger, it may take a charge and be ok.

Debonair

BlackCat81 wrote:
Debonair wrote:The conventional battery in the M35H is just that, a conventional battery. You should be able to get a replacement at a local automotive battery supplier. The group size SHOULD be a 24F. Have them check the OEM battery to make sure.

No it's a special battery, and for some reason they cost a fortune. It's externally vented and installed in the trunk. Get it on a charger, it may take a charge and be ok.
If that is the case it sucks. Other vehicles do have externally vented batteries though. And all the documentation calls it a conventional 12v lead acid battery. It looks pretty normal as too.

Here it is sitting next to the hybrid battery.

Infiniti battery part# 244101MG0A

BlackCat81
Car: 2006 M35x
2003 Lexus GX470

Ya, I don't know if a regular battery will work, I do know that Infiniti calls for a very expensive battery for it though.

ALIGT4
Car: 2012 M35h, 2012 Ducati Monster 796, 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom, 2007 Gsxr 750, 2006 Honda CRV AWD

Any luck with this? I parked mine for the winter and my battery was also dead when i went to start it in the spring. Battery shops will not touch it as it is a different kind of battery. I boosted it and drove it straight for about 10 hours without turning the engine off and it must have gave it a good charge because it's ok now.

Debonair

It really looks like a conventional 12v lead acid battery. I am personally baffled by people's fear of it. The hybrid battery- don't mess with it. The 12v conventional battery? Me? I would yank it out, find a battery with the same post orientation, general dimensions, and CCA specs, and get it in there. A high OEM retail price does not equal complexity. Prius hybrids run the same setup and people slap non-OEM batteries in them all the time. Some even use optima batteries in them.

Good luck with this. I hope someone can verify my theories for the good of the M hybrid community.

ALIGT4
Car: 2012 M35h, 2012 Ducati Monster 796, 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom, 2007 Gsxr 750, 2006 Honda CRV AWD

Looks can be deceiving...also it would be a very expensive lesson if it was not a conventional battery as warranty would not cover it.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

It's a 12V, lead-acid battery. Nothing special.

Replace with a good brand conventional battery and rock on. I prefer Duaralast Gold. I've used several and only one failure within their warranty period. AutoZone replaced it for free no questions asked with a brand new one and no issues since.

M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

I would get an AGM battery, not the lead-acid type used in the "old days". Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are better in every way (except they cost more), they handle vibration and heat better and can be drained and recharged (deep cycled) many more times than lead acid batteries. They are also sealed - so no gas venting.

I just replaced my M37 battery (a group 24) with the Sears Die-Hard Group 34 AGM battery.
I only buy AGM batteries now - even my 1982 F250 4X4 runs an AGM.

JohnS2012
Car: 2012 Infiniti M35h

The 12V factory battery dimensions match group size 35. Seems like most auto parts stores say the replacement for a M35h 12V battery is group size 27, but that will not fit. I do think it is important to be able to vent the battery outside using the factory vent tube since the battery is in an enclosed space, so I would make sure the replacement battery has a vent port that can be connected and is not completely sealed, even if it is a maintenance free battery. I can't tell if the factory battery is AGM or not, but seems to me even if it was, a non-AGM battery would be fine, although might not last as long.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

This has been covered before. It is a sealed, AGM, vented battery due to it's close proximity to the hybrid battery and other equipment. The car was designed for an AGM battery and the charging system was designed for it. AGM batteries require a different charge than wet cells. If you want to be cheap and risk damaging the hybrid power system and / or charging system go for it. Prius are the same, the 12v accessory battery is a AGM.

06M35XVA
Car: 2006 M35X

I also ran into this same issue with my 2013 M35h, the dealership ran a test on my battery, after it wouldn’t start, and told me my battery required replacement. As of yesterday all batteries for my model are on back order (there are zero in the U.S.) and the price just went up from $389 to $489! I was able to get a battery (group size 24f) that matched the CCA, type (AGM) and it has a vent port that will allowing my vent line to connect. I thought the battery would be an easy drop however I’ll have to modify the battery box because it’s an inch to small, the new battery will not fit. Going to remove the back seats and trim the battery box mount from the back so the front brackets keeps its original look, however aftermarket batteries will fit. The manufacturer was smart when making this vehicle, made it challenging for those who choose not to use their replacement parts! In my case there are no batteries in stock and I need my car running. Good luck to those who run into the same issue.

EdBwoy

06M35XVA wrote:... I thought the battery would be an easy drop however I’ll have to modify the battery box because it’s an inch to small, the new battery will not fit. Going to remove the back seats and trim the battery box mount from the back so the front brackets keeps its original look, however aftermarket batteries will fit...
At $500 for approx 8 years of battery life on an original battery, it doesn't sound too bad to me. I'd consider the OEM one, unless I plan to get rid of the car soon.
I am curious if you could get a different aftermarket battery to fit your compartment. What are the dimensions of the factory battery?

Either way, please take some pictures of the work if you can. This has gotten a lot more interesting because we have a crazy hybrid project in the pipeline.

06M35XVA
Car: 2006 M35X

I would totally agree and was ready to spend the $500, however, they are on back order with no expected delivery date. The old part number is obsolete and now requires the new part number. The battery box doesn’t need as much nodding as I initially thought, I need a 1/4 inch larger surface from the battery box. I did this by eliminating the front plate for the box and bending the lower front lip down on the battery box. This allowed the battery to slide in with ease. I had to trim some of the metal panels in the front but it looks close to factory and the battery is secure. I’ll post pictures when I have a moment

belleth
Car: 2012 M35H

I ended up with an AGM battery about 1.5 years ago as a replacement. I agree it wasn't a "perfect" fit, but snug enough to where it doesn't move.

If my dealer would've offered one for 500$, i'd buy it, they were quoting me like 1000$.

Was edgy about an aftermarket battery, but once I looked in the back... it had an exidy already... so i figured oh well... i bought the car with an aftermarket one...

couldn't locate exidy, but that one was actually a perfect fit...

Davealan
Car: 2012 M Hybrid Black Obsidian & graphite w/ Deluxe Touring package

I went to PEP Boys and they had the correct battery type/size and installed it under there free installation policy, I tipped the tech very well because of the risk and addition effort.

Alexs7
Car: 2012 M35h

Just replaced mine today on a 2012 M35H. NAPA 983585 battery fits like a glove. The battery is actually about an inch shorter, but it comes with a plastic spacer that you can put under it to make it an exact fit. It's an AGM battery and it has a fume vent port like the OEM battery. The vent port is a little different in shape (more oval than round), but the hose fit in there with a little squeeze. I put some electrical tape on it for good measure so it doesn't come out, but probably not really necessary. Oddly, on the NAPA website it says it won't fit (no idea why). I just brought it to the store counter and they found a match by hand.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP983585

Ejprez
Car: 2012 Infiniti M35h

For anyone curious. I checked mine and it's an AC DELCO 24rps, I assume group 24. Mine is a 2012 M35h. The vent tube wasn't connected and so assume it doesn't need to be vented, i can't find a vent port on the battery. Looks to be attached pretty solid.
Attachments
IMG_20201002_185019829.jpg

immber
Car: 2012 Infiniti M35H

Hi everyone,

First reply to this forum. I bought a 2012 Infiniti M35H with 100k miles ~5 months ago. I am based in the UK and the car didn't start after leaving it for 1 month in cold-ish weather over Dec/January. Breakdown cover guys jumped it and it worked. Last week I had not driven the car for a week and again, I couldn't start the car. Jumped it again and is now working, but I thought it's a good idea to replace it soon.

I measured the battery and, looking at the posts above, I bought an AGM battery - the S5 A05 Bosch AGM Car Battery 12V 60Ah Type 027 S5A05.

Now, to my question - has anyone replaced the battery themselves and any tips on the procedure? Specifically, after removing the trunk panel to gain access the the 2 batteries (hybrid + 12V), do I need to do anything special - e.g. does the car need the battery registered/coded in, in any way? I am only asking since I don't trust the mechanics close to my flat very much (the m35H, and Infiniti in general is quite rare in the UK). If I can do the job without any special equipment, I prefer doing it myself.

There were a number of shops which had a battery replacement service, but only if you purchase the battery from them (and Halfords had only 1 battery which fit my vehicle, which was a wet flooded Yuasa).

Help much appreciated!

belleth

It's been a few years since e i did mine, but I do not remember anything "special", aside from the difficulty of working in that tight space. Especially handling the battery at stretched arms.

If I remember correctly I put the battery in while covering the battery terminals, making sure not to touch anything, then connected everything up.

For me the weirdest thing was not working auto open and close on door windows, freaked out a bit, but then realized they had to be reprogrammed by fully opening and closing them a couple of times.

immber

Thanks, belleth, I will try to do it and update on how it went!
What's the auto open/close issue - can you give a few more details on that?
Also, I can't keep the car powered while doing the 12 V battery replacement, hope that doesn't wipe things from memory or cause error codes. Good to know that the 12 V battery doesn't have to be registered/coded in the car.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

immber wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:19 am
What's the auto open/close issue - can you give a few more details on that?
The auto windows (and usually the sunroof if you have one) lose their position memory when you disconnect. They need to be re-timed after reconnection.

belleth

You basically have to hold the open/close button and fully open and fully close windows a few times. That's all.

immber

belleth wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:01 am
You basically have to hold the open/close button and fully open and fully close windows a few times. That's all.
Got it! Sounds like I should be able to do the 12V battery replacement myself, then. Much appreciated.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”