'10 Rogue S Engine Stalls @ complete stop

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
stack316
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S
360 Package
Alum Kick Plates

2010 Rogue S 85K miles

Engine Stalls @ complete stop, mainly during/after long drives @ highway speeds, however has also occurred on short drives in town. Getting dangerous as stopping at red lights after coming off the highway or stopping in gridlock traffic on the highway, the rpms will jump around from 500 to 700 then stall on me, been having to use my left foot on the brake pedal, throw the car in neutral and pedal the gas to keep from stalling.

non Nissan Mechanic - mentioned to me the CVT bulletin about the overheating of CVT fluid as a possible cause, and mentioned that adding of the addon fan for $700, which sounds like adding an external trans cooler

(I have not had any issues with the CVT otherwise)

What has not solved the stalling:
new spark plugs and coils
increasing engine idle

next on the plate.
CVT fluid exchange (by Nissan)
Fuel System Service (by Nissan)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Sounds like cvt.

+1 on the transmission cooler.

Also to be proactive with future stalling.

Try cleaning the oxygen sensor & throttlebody.

Might give a fuel/fuel injector cleaner a try, since gas tanks at non top tier gas stations could be dirty with gunk and debris in addition to the government forcing us to use crappy corn in our tanks.

Been through a few stalling incidents myself.

Eventually I was able to cure it with the above steps.

Mainly above with the lean bank codes.

Good luck

casperfun

Moreover, Your still in luck, the cutoff for the 10yr 120,000 mile warranty covers the CVT for the Nissan Rogue up to the 2010 year.

So if your cvt is going to crap. No worries. Your still covered.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I encounter a similar issue with my 08 Rogue SL today. I was driving from Richmond VA to Philadelphia PA. There is no traffic the entire way so I was traveling at around 70 mph. I stopped at a service station, stop the car (no issue so far). When I come back to the car and try to start it, it started, then the RPM slowly drop and stall. I tried restarting a couple times but still have the same issue. I then try holding the gas and crank, and it started with RPM holding at 5-6k for a few seconds. I then let the gas go and it seems to be back to normal again. I did make a few stops later down the drive and the issue disappear.

This feels like the computer is "stuck" on highway driving mode and when starting the engine, it "thinks" it has enough air from the moving vehicle but in fact it doesn't, and stall out the engine.
I did use Shell as my only brand of gas to use (other than emergency situation which rarely happen) so I don't think its dirty gas, and it didn't happen in the later restart which is weird if it is hardware issue.

stack316
360 Package
Alum Kick Plates

increasing engine idle

Had the following services performed at Nissan (did not tell them ahead of time of the stalling) as i wanted these services as well
these were not the solution of the stalling

Finally told Nissan of the stalling and they performed the following services which has resolved the issue
one week has gone by and not evidence of the fluttering RPM at a complete stop after highway driving or during stop and go highway traffic
Nissan cleaned the Throttle Body and performed an idle air relearn

they then told me i needed a new belt, my sway bar was bent and grease was leaking from boot UGHHH

stack316
360 Package
Alum Kick Plates

increasing engine idle

Had the following services performed at Nissan (did not tell them ahead of time of the stalling) as i wanted these services as well
these were not the solution of the stalling

Finally told Nissan of the stalling and they performed the following services which has resolved the issue
one week has gone by and not evidence of the fluttering RPM at a complete stop after highway driving or during stop and go highway traffic
Nissan cleaned the Throttle Body and performed an idle air relearn

they then told me i needed a new belt, my sway bar was bent and grease was leaking from boot UGHHH

casperfun

Surprise, surprise, of course the dealer finds other things wrong.

Which is why I try to avoid the dealership repair vortex as best as I can until I need something that is just above my capabilities.

So how much was the throttle cleaning service by the way?

Mine was just a cost of a can of throttle body cleaner for under $5 from my local advance auto store.

Didn’t need a idle anything relearn or whatever.

Just drove around and let the rogue figure itself out.

My vehicle accelerates very smoothly and has not stalled for a long time thank goodness.

Return to “Rogue Forum”