09 Murano decision time - high mileage and costly upcoming repairs

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
sr222

I have a 2009 SL Murano with 151,000 miles (vast majority highway). I am the original owner. A few days ago the air conditioner went bad and it looks like it's going to need a whole new A/C kit. I also found out my transfer case is leaking. These both are going to be very costly repairs. I just replaced a wheel bearing that went out last month, put new tires on it three months ago, and had to replace the radiator last summer.

I've loved this car and taken good care of it but it's starting to become a money pit. For other high mileage Murano owners of the same vintage, any thoughts on what I could possibly expect in the way of other big upcoming repairs? I'm not going to get much bang for the buck on a trade-in and I think it will be a tough sell to a private buyer with the A/C issue.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on whether to make the repairs and keep driving my Murano until the wheels fall off or finally throw in the towel and get something that won't be so costly to maintain. Thanks!

Florida Boxdog
Car: '04 Murano SE

We have an '03 with 158K, and in the last year we've done this:
Replace 2 broken engine mounts -- $800
Head gasket -- $900
Alternator -- $600 + new battery
Right front axle -- $400 (left front pending in a month or so)

We're not in a position to buy a new one for a year or so, even with these expenses...but it all started about where you are now.

Does that help?

sr222

Thanks, that does help. It seems there could be some things looming for me, but you never know. I accumulated about 100K of the miles the first few years I owned mine and have scaled back a lot the last few years.

The estimate for repairs came back a little lower than I expected, so I think I'm going to ride it out and try to squeeze a few more years out of it. I'd still be interested in hearing opinions from other high mileage Murano owners of what to expect, good or bad.

Florida Boxdog
Car: '04 Murano SE

Good -- and to be fair, the last few years have been pretty light. It just seemed that at 150K, the rent came due. We've had a paid-for car for 5-6 years already, so you kind of have to expect that.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Weigh those costs vs. the cost of a car payment.

gamado
Car: 2006 Murano

Coming from an owner of a 2006 Murano with 147K, with my share of recent upkeep... I now have a shot CVT(transmission). Quotes range from 2-4K to replace. Do some research on the Nissan CVT, it is a know fact that this is a poor design and will fail. They even extended the warranty to 120K miles after a class action law suit. Keep this in mind as you ponder keeping much longer. Good luck to us both!

iSurge

You didn't sell this in Michigan since the time you wrote this? I'm looking at buying one with 159,000 miles but the miles scare me so thank you all for your input.

Return to “Murano Forum”