09 M45 steering wheel issues

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mactaite
Car: 2009 m45

Hi everyone,
I am having problems with my steering wheel extending out (telescope motor). It extends out but does so in a jerking motion. The tilting function works just fine. It does it when I use the switch to adjust or when it automatically adjust when getting in and out of the car. I am trying to see if it is something I can do before the gears completely strip or motor goes out.

I have searched the forums and mostly see people who have had module problems when they lose both functionalities.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yeah sounds like it's a gear issue. You'll have to take it apart to confirm but that's a solid guess.

mactaite

ok, I plan on taking it apart this weekend. I am hoping it won't be too hard to find parts if needed. I will try and take photos and video just in case someone else have this problem in the future.

EdBwoy

Have you considered setting it at your normal desired position then turning the feature off? Once I set my memory deating position, I like to disable the ease-of-entry features to avoid excessive wear.

mactaite wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm
ok, I plan on taking it apart this weekend. I am hoping it won't be too hard to find parts if needed. I will try and take photos and video just in case someone else have this problem in the future.
Welllllllllllll........ Brace yourself for an adventure.
Let me just say, I had to Frankenstein 2 steering columns when I attempted to fix my jiggly steering wheel.
But, I'm sure these are semi-standard parts. Once you find out who makes the motors, you can try to find their catalog and possibly the newest versions of those parts.

Good luck and I look forward to your progress.

mactaite

EdBwoy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 am
Have you considered setting it at your normal desired position then turning the feature off? Once I set my memory deating position, I like to disable the ease-of-entry features to avoid excessive wear.
I thought about turning off the feature but my wife drives my car sometimes and uses the 2nd memory button. But if I can't figure it out or find the parts then I will have to do just that.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

EdBwoy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 am

mactaite wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm
Welllllllllllll........ Brace yourself for an adventure.
Let me just say, I had to Frankenstein 2 steering columns when I attempted to fix my jiggly steering wheel.
But, I'm sure these are semi-standard parts. Once you find out who makes the motors, you can try to find their catalog and possibly the newest versions of those parts.

Good luck and I look forward to your progress.
I would hate to have to mess with this part but at the same time, the feature is so nice and I want to keep it on..Old 98 Q45 had it and drove that car till 280K, granted I wholeheartedly believe it was of superior build quality to the 06-10 M45, but yeah never had a problem from the telescopic steering wheel on it, is it an issue that pops up regularly on the M45?

EdBwoy

LIBRILZ wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:01 am
... is it an issue that pops up regularly on the M45?
I wouldn't say so.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Once you save yours and the misses position in the memory, you can turn off the feature in settings. When either of you mash your memory button, the seat, mirrors, amd wheel will go to that setting.
My wheel makes a low volume weird noise when the wheel moves in and out of position on engine start and engine off. My dealer says they cannot replace it under warranty because it is still working as it should, regardless of the faint noise. It has been making that noise for 2 years but still works fine. Far as I know, you have to replace the entire motor assembly and it cannot be lubricated.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

My steering wheel will angle but not telescope at all. According to what I read what is required is the motor itself.

Can you guys confirm it's this part?

Motor Assy-Tilt
48990-EG16A
$375

In this diagram, it's part 48990
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... ASE;5=5AT)

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”