08 QX56 Front End Shimmy

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
q56er
Car: QX56

As I mentioned in my first post, First Impressions, I experienced some front end shimmy on rough pavement. I've come to the conclusion that it's time to ask here on this forum first of all whether others have noticed it and second of all find the best way to minimize it. Normally, steering stabalizers are installed on 4x4s that have oversized tires. Before front end geometry was really understood, this shake and wobble was the norm. Eventually engineers came up with castor as 1 way to combat the problem. Resonance of the system can be move up or down in frequency with the addition or removal of weight but when the weight, and rolling mass gets to a certain point dampening is usually employed to move the resonant frequency of the system to an acceptable limit. Bushings, add resistance to the system and that helps. Over time bushings wear and the wobble increases. The question now is what is the best dampener for the job and where is the best place to install it and is there possibly someone like Rancho already working on the problem. I've visited Rancho's site and at this moment the QX is not in their list of vehicles that have been designed for. Anyone else that noticed this problem, whether it's on an Armada or QX especially if you've gone to oversized tires please speak up. A solution for one may work equally well for the other. I'll continue to investigate. My first oil change is coming up soon and that'll give me a chance to get the skid plate off and get a better look at where a steering damper might fit. It's tight up in there, I have no doubt that this might not be an easy task.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I have the 20's, and I have never experienced any shimmy at all. Hope you figure out what is causing it. Keep us posted!

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”