08 g35xs Water damaged from faulty windshield caused p1705

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Tmoore006
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35XS

I apologize for the long post but I could really use some input!

I had a windshield replaced on a 08 g35xs, w/ 102,000 miles 5AT, it was performed by safelite. A week after we received a heavy rainstorm, as I was driving down a street; suddenly, slip light, vdc light, and ses light. The vehicle in return felt like "s***", bogging out, and felt like it was going to stall any second. I pulled over and turned the car off for around 30 minutes. After it started up and slip and vdc were gone, ses light was still there. Drove it about 7 minutes’ home and shut it off. I popped the hood looking for water in any cavities, filters, battery cabin, didn’t see much, filters were not wet at all. Let it sit overnight, and tried resetting ecu, but it was still running rough.

Some of the things to consider the following day, the vehicle started right up but rpm's dropped and were very erratic. The erratic idle slowly got better over a couple hours after trying to take it for a little drive and starting it up. Another strange thing that happened was there was a lot of water coming out of the rear exhaust the following day of the incident. I started it up and it acted normal, so I went inside and when I came back, it stalled and I could see the formation of a puddle around the exhaust pipes. The next day I started it up and decided to try to drive to my parents which is a 10-minute drive, car acted normal at higher speeds but at every stop, idle was erratic. Eventually I made it the gas station very close to my parents and got gas (93 as usual and never anything else), and then it started to act up again, hard to keep it going (No blinking ses), I had to give it a little gas to keep it running. I made it about two blocks around the neighborhood, then it stalled and locked the steering wheel, would not start at all. I had it towed to the local infiniti dealer on a flatbed.

The dealer had my vehicle for three days, when it was done they said it threw a code pertaining to throttle position sensor, and they found a fair share of water in my glove-box. They basically told me they did nothing except, “let it dry out, and they unplugged and re-plugged some electrical connectors and all is good". The tech asked me if I had my windshield installed lately, I said yes. Turns out they said it had a leak and caused the damage. Called safelite and they agreed to pay the expense, so I told the techs to replace anything that could have been damaged. They did not replace anything nor did they give me the choice. I received my vehicle back and drove it to safelite to get a new windshield under-warranty. After picking up my vehicle from safelite, 5 mins later my ses light came back on. So, I took it back to the dealer, saying my ses light is back on. They scanned it and now they tell me it’s my bank 2 O2 sensors. He then charged me 100 bucks saying it didn’t pertain to the previous incident. I was pissed! I then gave it a week and it went away! Car seemed to be alright at this point.

My current problem is that my vehicle has started experiencing small issues that I just can’t seem to fix and somehow I think it pertains to this incident. The vehicle currently has not thrown a code since the service. The water damage incident happened in early April of 2016. Since my vehicle over the course of 6 months, starting experiencing worsening rough cold start, idle doesn’t drop significantly like a dirty throttle body, it bobs up and down slightly till warmed up. My vehicle is completely stock besides HFC’s in which return you can also hear this anomaly. I’m not 100% sure if it’s the HFC’s, but it seems like it may be running just a little rich. Also on vehicle start you feel more vibration in the seat and pedal, the warm idle is constant and still, but you still feel these slight vibrations only on start and stand still, warm or cold and only seem to occur in park or at a stop without rpm change. There is a greater hesitation in lower gears, when fully releasing pedal and then re-applying, this is probably the least significant issue, I’ve heard it’s a characteristic of the 5 speed AT but I’m not sure. Also seems there could be a lack of acceleration in the lower end.

I will list what I have done to combat this issue, let me also make this clear,I use all OEM parts and anything I can’t 100% handle, I take it to the dealer. Oil every 3500 miles, all fluids changed on service interval, all required maintenance. Pertaining to the rough start, over a year and a half ago when I bought the vehicle, the idle would drop significantly on cold start and stalled one time. I researched and cleaned the throttle bodies, issue solved, thing started like a champ. This was the first procedure I performed, took off the TB’s, they were not even dirty, disconnected neg terminal and cleaned them anyway, FYI I did not move butterfly plates nor disconnect them. Also, I made sure all lines where not broken and fastened all intake and vac lines. I also decided to change each TB gasket, no difference. I then changed my air filters, no help. I then replaced the spark plugs, previous plugs were in great shape, car received the standard benefits of new plugs, but my issues didn’t get better. I have replaced the negative battery terminal due to wear on clamp, and cleaned MAF sensors properly. Most recently I had the Infiniti dealer perform the 3-step fuel system cleaning process and all relearns. I think it made it a little better but issues remain. I have tried to get the Dealer to look at it but they keep blowing me off by saying its fine or its normal.

All in all, it seems there are grey areas, I was not provided any codes from the dealer even upon initial request, no specification on either throttle position sensor nor O2 sensors, he now just gave me the code for a general Throttle Position Sensor (p1705). From my collection of data on the forums SES, VDC, Slip, correlate to either camshaft or crankshaft sensors, not throttle position. The o2’s lit up right after the incident and left a few days after, coincidence or not? Also, if there’s water in my glove-box, isn’t there a good chance my ecu or harness was damaged thus? With a covered expense and 100,000 miles shouldn’t a sensor that gets shorted or damaged be replaced? I’m certain this issue correlates with the issues present because my vehicle did not exhibit these symptoms beforehand. I could be wrong so I’m open for any suggestions. Also, I try to be very observant in very small implications, I like to take care of things before further damage. There is also a chance I’m completely wrong, maybe all these things are a characteristic of the vehicle but I strongly doubt it.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Okay, it seems like Safelite has some sort of guarantee of work and they are willing to do their part. The dealership seems to be confused about the work orders or you possibly did something out of order from normal procedure. I would ask Safelite if they will pay for related repairs due to the water damage and then I'd take it to the mechanic they're willing to deal with. Let them do the back and forth and deal with the billing and such. You should get a loaner car during the work.

But! I read all of this and it doesn't sound recent. It sounds like some time has gone by and you haven't put dates in your story. You reference your current issues, as if there are separate, past issues. Safelite might not feel responsible for your current issues if you weren't up front about it at the time and getting it resolved then.

So, I'm curious, when did you get the windshield that leaked installed and when did you get it fixed? This story isn't much help without a timeline applied to it.

On another note, it's good of you to try to stay ahead of repairs with proper maintenance. I think you could do well to invest in a code reader for OBD-II systems. They're pretty affordable and give you the numbers to research stuff on your own. Also, there is the FSM. You can view or download yours from our website here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infini ... nuals.html

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”