08 ex35 wont start, doesn't even try?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
apeg
Car: 2008 Ex35

The car's been running fantastic for years now but we hit some really cold weather and all of a sudden I can't get the car to start?

- I press the button and it doesn't try to turn over, but a few seconds later I do hear a fan kick in (heating/AC off)
- no clicking, no struggle or any kind.
- The car acts identically as if I had just started without holding down the break. (electrical only)
- I don't see any dimming or any indication the battery is low
- The press brake light comes on when I get in the car and goes away when I press, but it doesn't sound like it's even trying to start.

I've read a few other posts with similar problems but they seem to mostly originate from a dead or dying battery, all other electrical seems to be working perfectly.

Any pointers? My best guess at this point is fuse or electrical harness?

Thanks,

apeg
Car: 2008 Ex35

Strange, it was just the battery.

I found out most cars have the ability to detect if the battery has the cranking power needed to start the car, if not it doesn't bother trying.

So strange that the car knows the issue is with the battery, yet it does not alert the driver via car code or something along those lines.

live and learn.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

It seems to me that nowadays car batteries don't give as much warning as they used to when they're about to go bad. One day the car starts fine, and the next the car won't turn over. Unless you're testing them on a regular basis, I think it's hard to tell if they're on their way out.

You're right, the instrument panel can fool us into thinking the battery is still good. But I guess powering the car's computer and dashboard lights only requires a small amount of voltage and amperage compared to what's needed to turn the engine with the starter motor.

Whenever I have a starting issues, the battery is one of the first things I check. They are essentially "wear items" that require periodic replacement; and for the most part, it's one of the simple things an owner can still check and replace on their own. In my experience, replacement solves starting problems almost all the time. If I rule out the battery as a cause, then I start to worry a bit.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”