'08 Armada LE Liftgate Issue

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Well, I love Nissan, and as much as I hate to tell everyone about this, but it seems I have a problem on my new beast. I have an '08 Armada LE that many of you may know I just purchased in January. I have had a problem where when I am in a car wash, the lift gate will start making the "beeping" that you hear as a warning before it actually opens or closes. Well, eventually the beeping led to the door actually opening in the middle of the car wash. Of course it opens when the water is being sprayed on the back. My 13 month old son thought it was pretty funny when water came misting in the vehicle, needless to say, I was not amused. After this happening a few times, I took it to the dealer. Turns out the handle for the liftgate has a control module right behind it. When they tested mine, it was receiving mixed signals from the vehicle. They inspected it and found it to be all corroded. They replaced it for me on Thursday. I got a car wash on Friday, and guess what??? It started beeping and getting all goofy again.

I have a lot of faith in my local Nissan dealer, and Nissan as well, I know the problem will be resolved, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem at all. I know '08 QX56's don't have the handle, so it would be isolated to the Armada. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM! I will keep everyone posted as to my findings.

Timmbo

They now have replaced the control unit behind the handle, and another switch last week, they re-bundled a wiring harness, and covered in di-electric grease. Guess what? It is still doing it when I get a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimTheEnchanter
Car: 2008 Armada

We own a couple car washes, so I wash my car at least once a week. My '08 has been washed about 30 times and I haven't had that problem.

Just out of curiosity are you using a roll over or a tunnel wash? Are you thinking it is shorting out from water finding it's way? I'm not sure if the door works this way, but if it will open when someone pulls the handle while the fob is inside, maybe the cloth is grabing the handle (especially if it is a horizontal one). Have you tried locking the doors?

My only car wash issues are the blower flips open the fuel door, soap pools at the bottom of the window then the blowers push it up (causing spots), water leaks (small amount) around the hinge for the rear window, and the thought of stripping the gears on the auto mirrors scares me.

Timmbo

Welcome to NICOclub! Glad you could join us here in the Armada / QX56 Forum!

I can't remember if I tried locking the doors or not, but the issue is the control unit behind the handle continues to get wet and starts to corrode itself, so regardless of whether or not I lock the doors and at the very least prevent the door from opening on its own, the control unit is suffering a slow death over time.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”