07 G35 sedan - aux in question

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
eyekutr

I test drove a 4dr g35 sedan today, I noticed it has a nice display screen and also has an aux button that has both audio and video input. Sales guy told me that you can hook up a plsystation or whatever you want and car must have parking brake on.....Has anyone hacked around this already, since audio and video is inputed, possibilies are endless such as a cheap aftermarket nav unit or viedo ipod.....I am not for watching TV while driving, but I am not sure I want to put up the extra few grand for nav, and thought this may be a way to go. In fact, it would be nice to use a nav and mp3 unit combo since factory has no CF slot card in the base car, only MP3 play via CD changer.....Thanks for inputs...

Snicewicz

I got my 07 G35x last week and when the guy was going over everything he didnt go into detail about it but he did say that there are shops you can take it to and it can easily be bypassed.

eyekutr

I am sure there is a way, we should figure this out, a video input is as sweet as it gets IMO

Omegamerc
Car: 2008 G35xS

AFAIK no one has gotten past the 2(or is it 5?) mph speed limiter that disables the feature. (video)

eyekutr

Come on guys, who has a schematic for the wiring, we need to cut hr VSS wire or simply give it a 2nd parking brake, often accomplished with a new ground.

hokiesean24

We have been searching diligently for a way around it, cant seem to find it yet. We are looking to pull the files from the hard drive, as this is a hard drive based Nav system, and have a software guru rewrite the code that tells it to shut down the video when X/Y occurs. No one knows how they upload/download info to the HD though. Any ideas?!?! anyone willing to take their hard drive out and mirror it?!?!

If you dont have the NAV, a hack has been figured out cutting wires and grounding etc etc.

I dont post here often, any info email [email protected]

eyekutr

Thanks to NewMexicoG.....got this from another forum

Thanks to the folks that posted the link to the service manual I have just finished defeating the lockouts on my car. Most of the threads regarding this have dealt with the Nav equipped cars so I thought I would give some imformation to the cheap folks like myself.My plan is to install the Garmin GVN-52 black box nav unit using the auxillary inputs. This will use a remote for setting and will output video and spoken directions through the cars screen and audio. I would have got the nav if I could have had Sirius but if it works, this should come pretty close for the few times I don't know where I'm going.

So, for the nitty gritty.The wires you need to get to are in the back of the AV control unit.

a) Remove shift knob by pushing the boot down and removing the clip.b) Pull up on shift cover until it comes loose, remove connectors and cover.c) Remove two screws and gently pull on control panel, remove connectors and panel.d) Remove two upper screws holding screen fascia and vents, pull gently and remove.e) Remove upper two screws holding display, pull gently and remove connector. Remove display.f) Remove two lower screws and pull out AV unit. This doesn't have to come out all the way, just far enough to get at the back.g) Looking down at the back the connector you want is the 32 pin connector slightly to the right at the top. The two wires are pins 106 (parking brake) and 107 (VSS). Looking at the back of the connector these are the two on the top right. I didn't take photos, sorry, but it should be fairly obvious if you check out the service manual. The manual says they are Violet (106) and Red (107) but on my car they appeared light blue and pink. I cut the two wires and soldered a phone lead to all four ends in case I had to install a switch. This proved unnecessary but it did give me peace of mind in case I had to get at the wires again after I had put everything back together. It turns out that you only need to cut the VSS wire and ground the Brake wire going into the AV unit.h) Reassemble in reverse order!

I was concerned that this would screw up the mpg calculations and the range for both displays but this is not the case. I would imagine that the only thing that will not work is the speed sensitive volume but I never use that anyway.

Just to be sure, I drove around for a few minutes and checked everything out. All the displays work as normal and I can watch video on the auxillary input at any time. I don't condone watching video while driving (why would you want to anyway?) but this seemed like a perfect way to add aftermarket nav and still utilise the screen in the car. I still have some questions for Garmin regarding placement of an antenna but I'm happy to have got around the video nanny for now.

Anyway, I hope this is of help to the brave few.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Thanks,

You have done an awesome job. It seems to be pretty easy to do it. I'll look into buying a navi system. I believe many of us will do the same. Thanks again.

Zozoka

eyekutr

I take no credit but thanks......the one concern I can see immediately is that if aux input is on, audio is obviously "expected" from the a/v source, so youll lose radio or mp3 ...that is the whole point of aux input....with that said, no reason why you cant get a garmin unit with built in mp3 player nice way to get 2 things in one

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

That's right.

Thanks for tthe info.

Zozoka

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Wow...nice find!

virginfiniti

eyekutr wrote:Thanks to NewMexicoG.....got this from another forum

Thanks to the folks that posted the link to the service manual I have just finished defeating the lockouts on my car. Most of the threads regarding this have dealt with the Nav equipped cars so I thought I would give some imformation to the cheap folks like myself.My plan is to install the Garmin GVN-52 black box nav unit using the auxillary inputs. This will use a remote for setting and will output video and spoken directions through the cars screen and audio. I would have got the nav if I could have had Sirius but if it works, this should come pretty close for the few times I don't know where I'm going.

So, for the nitty gritty.The wires you need to get to are in the back of the AV control unit.

a) Remove shift knob by pushing the boot down and removing the clip.b) Pull up on shift cover until it comes loose, remove connectors and cover.c) Remove two screws and gently pull on control panel, remove connectors and panel.d) Remove two upper screws holding screen fascia and vents, pull gently and remove.e) Remove upper two screws holding display, pull gently and remove connector. Remove display.f) Remove two lower screws and pull out AV unit. This doesn't have to come out all the way, just far enough to get at the back.g) Looking down at the back the connector you want is the 32 pin connector slightly to the right at the top. The two wires are pins 106 (parking brake) and 107 (VSS). Looking at the back of the connector these are the two on the top right. I didn't take photos, sorry, but it should be fairly obvious if you check out the service manual. The manual says they are Violet (106) and Red (107) but on my car they appeared light blue and pink. I cut the two wires and soldered a phone lead to all four ends in case I had to install a switch. This proved unnecessary but it did give me peace of mind in case I had to get at the wires again after I had put everything back together. It turns out that you only need to cut the VSS wire and ground the Brake wire going into the AV unit.h) Reassemble in reverse order!

I was concerned that this would screw up the mpg calculations and the range for both displays but this is not the case. I would imagine that the only thing that will not work is the speed sensitive volume but I never use that anyway.

Just to be sure, I drove around for a few minutes and checked everything out. All the displays work as normal and I can watch video on the auxillary input at any time. I don't condone watching video while driving (why would you want to anyway?) but this seemed like a perfect way to add aftermarket nav and still utilise the screen in the car. I still have some questions for Garmin regarding placement of an antenna but I'm happy to have got around the video nanny for now.

Anyway, I hope this is of help to the brave few.
I have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me.

1. This might be a stupid question, but by grounding the Parking Brake wire, will the Emergency Brake light be lit on the dash, and will the parking brake ON sensor sound off constantly as if you have the parking brake depressed?

2. After pulling down the boot cover and removing the shift knob, how do you remove the shift cover panel? I've tried, even with force and it didn't budge. I didn't want to put too much force in fear of breaking it in half. Am I doing something wrong?

eyekutr

check this thread for some more info

g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143082&highlight=non-nav+lockout

virginfiniti

With a little persistence, I was finally able to perform this hack. I had to tug a little harder to remove the shift boot panel, but eventually it came loose from the metal clips. Anyway, now my kids can watch movies while I'm taking them on long trips, though I wouldn't watch it myself. That would just be completely irresponsible. Saves me from having to get one of those headrest monitors for the kids.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”