06 QX56 Rear Brake Rotor Removal

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
dagnew463
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

I have searched through the forums and even posted regarding removing the rear brake rotors on a 06 QX56. I subscribe to Alldata and the manual is not helpful in regards to this process. Once I remove the brake caliper the rotor seems to be stuck and I cannot find any other obvious bolts to remove. Is there a special tool or technique to removing the rear rotors? I have read on other vehicles you have to do something with the parking brake, but there is not enough detail to explain the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Sadly Nissan didn't give some nice threaded holes in the rotor hat to push them off of the hub in a civilized way, like it said on the front. If it's anything like the rear rotors on the wife's G they're a real pain. Try spraying a penetrating oil in around the area where the studs fit through the rotor and let them sit for a while - preferably overnight. Clean everything up with brake parts cleaner when they're off. Rotate each one so that while you're spraying the oil in it's facing down so that gravity can help it seep in around the stud onto the face of the hub where it's rusted to the inside of the rotor hat.

On the wife's G I used a big hammer and a long scrap of 2x3 and beat the crap of of it placing the wood on the hat. Eventually I pryed the rotor off by placing the handle of a big adjustable wrench that has a rubberized coating between the back of the rotor and the "ears" that hold the caliper on.

They aren't bolted on or attached in any way - so pound away...

You can download the 2005 FSM here at http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/ for other information and torque specs. It only says "remove brake rotor" in the manual, but it helps. I coated the hub with a light coating of antiseize compound, so we'll see if that helps next time.

Good luck!

Heath

dagnew463
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

Heath,
Thanks for the info and I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

Thanks, Dana

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”