06 Quest CV joint replacement

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
gortega
Car: 2006 Nissan Quest
2004 Nissan Sentra

Hi all,

I found out that the CV joint on the driver's side is clicking/ clunking when shifting gears. e.g P to D, P to R, R to D, also it makes the same noise when accelerating, I do not think it does it when turning the car, there is not grease leak nor the joint boot appears to be broken. I checked the transmission mount and it looks ok to me also there is not noise coming from there
The quest is 2006 year and has only 45K miles.
A couple questions for you.

Based on the symptoms do you agree the CV joint is the culprit?

I am not a professional mechanic but I am one of those guys that likes mechanics and likes to “do-it yourself” and I have done some minor work under the car.

How hard this can be for an amateur mechanic?

I found the following manual and it shows that I will need a few special tools is that true?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/quest/2006_Quest/fax.pdf

Any comments are really appreciated.
Gerardo

superuber

It very well may be the axle. I replaced one for one of my customers and it sounds like yours is doing the same thing. As far as doing it yourself, it depends on your skill level and tools. It really is not hard with the right tools.
My customer had a 06 quest.

gortega
Car: 2006 Nissan Quest
2004 Nissan Sentra

Thanks for the reply. I took it to a shop instead and the diagnostic was the following:
Track down a noise @ the outer CV axle join and the wheel bearing, remove both front drive axles and grease @ outer CV axle join an the wheel bearing.
The person on charge showed me a print out from some web site and said that it was an issue with 2006 Nissan quest, he also said was more like a clicking instead a clunking type of noise.

I other words he only apply grease on it to get rid of the noise. BTW noise where coming from both sides.

I drove the car after that and appears that the noise when away, but when I parked on the parking lot at work I think I heard it again but it is not that loud as before it is soft I think because the grease.

I will try to replicate it this evening at home.

Does the fix make sense to you?

Do you know about the Quest issue the mechanic was talking about?
Thanks,
Gerardo

superuber

Like I said before i have seen axle problems with this year. They do make more of a clicking noise. I'm not sure if greasing them will help. See what happens. Axles are not a huge expense. Remanufactured ones are easy to come by. However I would go with a better quality remaned. As far as doing it yourself, they are not fun to do without a lift and the right tools.
Also welcome to nico. Nico is pretty good with tech issues. The quest forum is pretty slow though. Not many minivanners! I quess it's not cool? I come here sometimes to ask a question but I usually don't get much help. I also have a Q45. I pretty much stay away from that forum.

Good luck- Rick

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

gortega wrote: Track down a noise @ the outer CV axle join and the wheel bearing, remove both front drive axles and grease @ outer CV axle join an the wheel bearing.
The person on charge showed me a print out from some web site and said that it was an issue with 2006 Nissan quest, he also said was more like a clicking instead a clunking type of noise.

I other words he only apply grease on it to get rid of the noise. BTW noise where coming from both sides.

Do you know about the Quest issue the mechanic was talking about?
Thanks,
Gerardo
i went to try to find the Technical service bulletin about this & nada... u got a copy of that?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... &year=2006

slightly off topic, you got 1 recall about seatbelts...

Return to “Quest Forum”