06 Murano altenator problems

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
nsatl

Hi all,
Bought the car in 2018 (227K), previous owner replaced the altenator already (not sure when). Drove it for 7K then altenator died.

Mechanic took out the altenator and it was from local altenator rebuilder. Installed altenator from another local alternator rebuilder, 60K after, altenator died.

I was browsing and came across OEM alt manufacturer such as Denso, AC Delco and they have remanufactured alt.

I'm assuming remanufacture = rebuilt, if so, not sure if the alt kept failing because it was low quality from local rebuilder and going with remanufactured brand name like Denso and the like makes a different?

Or, any re-manufactured alt are basically the same and I have to go with a brand new and not remanufactured (if such things exist) or all alt are basically remanufactured?

I see some people posting similar situation where they had to replace the alt multiple times and wondering if this is a known issue for 06 Murano? If so, is there a known reason as to why this is an issue?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

There is a difference between rebuilt and remanufactured although some aftermarket suppliers may use the terms interchangeably and misleadingly call a rebuilt alternator a remanufactured alternator instead. An actual remanufactured alternator is an affordable alternative to the higher cost of a brand new one but costs more than one that is simply rebuilt. A remanufactured alternator has all its parts re-machined or replaced compared to the ones that didn't work or were not within new part specifications. A rebuilt alternator had its worn out parts replaced with new or remanufactured parts but a rebuilt system won't have all its parts at the same state of wear and tear. Remanufactured is better because all the parts should be within new part OEM specifications. A remanufactured Denso or AC Delco are reliable lower cost solutions compared to buying a brand new OEM alternator.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Muranos don't have any worse alternator issues than any other 3.5, but given what a PIA job it is changing one, I usually recommend a new one for customers who can afford it. Remans and rebuilts are a crapshoot, no matter what standards the rebuilder adheres to. Even remans often re-use the existing silicon (regulators, diodes, etc), and we've seen both kinds perform well or fail in days. That may be one thing on a 2.5 with the alternator right out front, it's another on a 3.5 where the A/C compressor and subframe need to drop. Issues with new ones are very, very rare. One thing you probably should check is belt alignment, thrust load is a bearing killer that can result in premature failure of both components and drive belts.

Return to “Murano Forum”