06 M45 14 spkr Sound Upgrade (w/pix)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

Hi all,
I had tacked onto another thread but I am going to move my "build" over to this thread.

I went ahead and took the plunge today. I have the 14 speaker system and ordered the 62.9i kappa and 1031t tweeters. The sound is much cleaner than the stock setup, comparable to my Lex GS stock system. Lacks some mid bass but I am pretty sure it will sound better as the speakers break in/loosen up. I used the stock mounts with the bose speaker guts removed. Dynamatted the door and sealed the speaker and mount together and to the door frame.

Not pretty but solid as hell (rigid mounts are the best when trying to seal off a speaker). Use epoxy to seal any potential gaps between the stock Bose speaker mount and the new Infinitys. The speakers are screwed to the mount which is the primary method of attachment.

The Dynamat is on the backside of the door panel, sorry no picture but not rocket science.

I am VERY pleased with the results. The new woofers give a good deal more bass (some is probably due to sealing the door up as well) than I thought but the real highlight is the tweeters on the upper doors. Much much better sound. On the co-axle woofers I have the tweeters at -3db and the imaging is really good.

I would like more "deep" bass so I pulled the trunk liners out and started looking around. Found out that I have a full size spare which was a cool find.
There is FAR more bass in the trunk than in the cabin (with the deck lid open) so that got me to thinking......there are NUMEROUS holes on the trunk skin, some of which must undoubtedly find their way into the cabin. In an infinite baffle (stock) system it is extremely important for the cabin to be sealed from the trunk.

Sealed up all the holes in the parcel shelf (the openings for the, I assume, base audio rear speakers were leaking badly. There is a cover on them from the top (much like Dynamat material) but it was not sealed well). Also pulled out the stock sub and used some weatherstripping to seal it better in the parcel shelf. Found a few more holes from the top that I could not reach from the trunk area. The rear seat "bulkhead" is pretty well sealed and did not need too much work. The ski pass through already has a pretty good weatherstrip type seal on it BUT you must seal around the plastic door flange. The ski pass through is on a "plate" that is bolted to the trunk bulkhead. Thinner sheet metal was used for some reason. I Dynamatted the plate and now it has a much more solid sound when hit with a mallet.

Pictures of the "sealed" trunk:

The sound output is now vastly improved from the stock sub and I mean vastly. I used about 1/2 a roll of Gorilla tape , Dynamat and two cans of "Great Stuff" expanding foam. LOTS of trimming and sanding makes the mods pretty much invisible. It is a bit harder to close the trunk now and you can see the sub move (from the top of course) when closing the trunk which leads me to believe that most of the air leaks have been sealed.

Also, Dynamatting the center of the spare wheel well really helped to quiet down road noise (and exhaust noise). Really thin metal there:

I went ahead and installed a Kenwood old school KAC 744 amp today to drive the door speakers. I used two Line Output Converters from PAC attached to the stock Bose amp outputs. Worked out REALLY well. Looking at the Bose amp in the car all of the door speaker outputs are on the far left connector. Pinouts are in the FSM. The remote for the Kenwood is on the far right connector, brown wire (only brown wire) on the far right.

The LOCs are on top of the factory Bose amp:

I ran the power wire (4 gauge) through the bulkhead connector under the windshield on the passenger side. Ran stiff wire around the factory grommet down behind the glovebox (pull the passenger under panel off and you'll see the wire. Attached the power cable and pulled it up. Drilled a small hole in the grommet and poked the power wire through. Then to a block fuse and then the batter terminal. Went back and sealed the wire to the grommet with silicone (don't want any water dripping inside the cabin):

Drilled a small hole in the lower trunk firewall , put a grommet in, and pulled the wire through:

Not pictured but I also ran speaker wires under the front seat for if and when I install Aura Bass Shakers to compliment the sub.

So far, really happy with the sound improvement. The Kenwood really woke up the Infinitys (no real surprise there going from maybe 20 watts to 50 watts/channel. They put out a LOT more bass now even with the 20hz subsonic filter on.

Let me know if you have any questions.

DeanM45

"Finished" pictures:

Wiring at battery:

Amp in trunk. Mounted it on the floor for now as I am still doing a few things and adjustments are far easier here, either from the trunk or through the passthrough:

PlatinumM35
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35
Tein H-Tech Springs
Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors
Wagner Ceramic Brakes
22x9 Status Wheels
Rear Entertainment Aftermarket
15'' RE Audio Subwoofer
Infinity Reference Door Speakers

Do you still have working bluetooth and other features after adding the Kenwood?

DeanM45

Yep, all functions are still there, volume lowers when voice command is used, nav and blue tooth. Only difference is the marked difference in sound output and quality.

Minus (-)
Car: 08 M35x

was the removal and putting back of the rear seats easy?? i'm dying to put my system in my car myself...just need to ALL the right info

DeanM45

Back seat is super easy, two clips that you pull out on the lower cushion (every car I have ever seen is like this) then 4 14MM bolts on the bottom of the seat back. Lift the bottom of the seat back while pulling towards the front of the car. Super simple.

MercMan007
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35

Subscribed!

EDIT: If I can figure out how!? :crazy:

DeanM45

OK, I've noticed even when stock that sometimes the front speakers rattle(others have complained about this as well). I Dynamatted the inside of the metal door panel so I figured that the rattle (which I thought the new speakers would fix but did not) could not be comming from the door. Pulled off the door panel, again, and went ahead and dynamatted the panel.

Picture shows the panel as removed

Picture shows panel with the "map pocket" removed (it is just held on with screws).

Last picture shows the panel dynamtted, without the map pocket reinstalled. I dynamatted both sides of the map pocket and screwed it back on.

Rattles are now gone. Turns out that the majority of the rattle comes from the map pocket which is just super thin plastic that acts like a little resonance chamber.

Minus (-)

what color is the remote wire on the factory amp?? i want to quick splice there for my turn on

DeanM45

First post:

The remote for the Kenwood is on the far right connector, brown wire (only brown wire) on the far right.

Minus (-)

ok thanx...i took the entire car apart yesterday and CAN NOT get thru the firewall....i tried to poke a hole in the grommet where that black circle is....did u go thru the circle thats on the bottom of the grommet or did u just poke a whole thru the grommet?? im soooo close....the little hole i did poke thru, i couldnt manage to get a wire hanger to show under the glove department....any more tips on getting thru that grommet??

DeanM45

The grommet behind the battery -- where the main harness goes through. Poke a hole in the grommet just to the side of the harness, poke all the way through. I used a long screwdriver. Then feed a stiff wire through the hole to the point that you can find it in the cabin, behind the glovebox. Attach your power wire to the end (in the engine bay) and then pull the stiff wire with the power wire attached into the cabin. I suppose it would help if you had another person to help you guide the wire topside but it can be done with just you.

DeanM45

Went ahead and installed the same speakers in the rear doors today. Picked up some FatMat which is a much cheaper version of Dynamat. Did the rear doors and back seat area. Really cut down on road noise. The rear speakers added a good fill over the stock speakers which I had running off of the stock amp---all door speakers are now on the Kenwood. It is really amazing how good the Infinity speakers are over the stock Bose/Infiniti speakers.Very happy with the way things are progressing.

Minus (-)

DeanM45 wrote:The grommet behind the battery -- where the main harness goes through. Poke a hole in the grommet just to the side of the harness, poke all the way through. I used a long screwdriver. Then feed a stiff wire through the hole to the point that you can find it in the cabin, behind the glovebox. Attach your power wire to the end (in the engine bay) and then pull the stiff wire with the power wire attached into the cabin. I suppose it would help if you had another person to help you guide the wire topside but it can be done with just you.
i did everything...but i cant find that remote wire...i have a 08 m35x...here is a pic of the harness to the far right...i dont see a brown wire....also which are the negative and positive colors for the oem subwoofer ?? (my car has a black one with silver dashes and a brown one with silver dashes)...

DeanM45

08+ is a different amp and wiring. I'll look around for a wiring diagram but I have not seen one yet for the 08+ cars.

Minus (-)

i found this http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2008/AV.pdf but still cant quite figure it out

DeanM45

Minus (-) wrote:i found this http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2008/AV.pdf but still cant quite figure it out
Do you have NAV, base or 14 speaker sound system?

Minus (-)

i have nav...no dvd player...no 14 spkr...i believe its 8?

DeanM45

Minus (-) wrote:i have nav...no dvd player...no 14 spkr...i believe its 8?
Odd, I can not get the wiring diagram to align with that connector. Just so you know, the stock amp just uses an acc feed to power on (it is always on when the ignition is in acc or run mode). You can back probe each pin until you find a positive voltage, turn ignition off and see if the voltage drops to zero. You can use that for your remote turn on.

On the sub, the black with silver should be negative.

Minus (-)

DeanM45 wrote:
Minus (-) wrote:i have nav...no dvd player...no 14 spkr...i believe its 8?
Odd, I can not get the wiring diagram to align with that connector. Just so you know, the stock amp just uses an acc feed to power on (it is always on when the ignition is in acc or run mode). You can back probe each pin until you find a positive voltage, turn ignition off and see if the voltage drops to zero. You can use that for your remote turn on.

On the sub, the black with silver should be negative.

thanx for everything.....i also figured the chart out....when your matching numbers and colors from the diagram....it connects into the actual amp UPSIDE DOWN!!!! so whatever it on the bottom ON PAPER, its actually on the top IN THE CAR.... i stayed up all night tryna figure it out...just found out a hour ago...will update on progress

so for a 2008 m35x w/ nav (8 speakers)....the BROWN WIRE on THE MIDDLE BROWN HARNESS(Top row) is the ACC feed to hook up your remote wire for your aftermarket amp....as stated on PAGE 276-278 ( http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2008/AV.pdf )

hahakenny
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

Such great information here! Thumbs Up!

mr_luv

Ok how about throwing this monkey wrench into the situation, can you guys compare the harnesses between the 06/07 model years to the 08/10 model years, I am interested in possibly upgrading my dash to the revised mid model year refreshed blue and music box option. Or are we that lucky that it is plug and play.

DeanM45

Gauge cluster should be plug and play from what I have seen. Adding the hardrive music is a different issue because I am pretty sure you would need the "radio" from an 08+ as well as the hard drive and IPOD control "box".

Minus (-)

Night Shot

Before Clean Up

Done

DeanM45

Minus (-) wrote:Night Shot

Before Clean Up

Done

And???!!!

How does it sound, any rattles?

Minus (-)

lol coulda swore i wrote more.....sounds great to me....i didnt get all fancy and dynmat it out...but those are 2 orion xtr 10s....powered by a ppi black ice 650.1 d class putting out 650 rms @ 1 ohm...there were rattles in my carbon fiber license plate frame but some 3M double sided tape took care of that...Still breakin the subs in tho, so i didnt crank it all the way, but the rearview shakes...quality is def an improvement compared from the bose sub....i'll eventually do the doors

DeanM45

Cool deal.
Do you still have the stock sub in place?

What are the box specs and did you build it or buy it off the shelf? I've had Orions in the past and sounded good in a sealed box but ported they were WAY too boomy for me. That size of box might work for me as well.

Minus (-)

yes the stock sub is still there.....i bought it as package(sub,box and amp)...i paid pennies for it...some dude owned an audio shop that went out of business..his whole crib looked like the store....i was thinking about unplugging the stock sub to see how it sounds...but im very happy with...i do wish the box was ported tho

DeanM45

I was asking about the stock sub because if you remove it you will have a better pass through for the sound pressure into the cabin. Had to do that on my GS and it made a world of difference. Good find on the "kit".

Minus (-)

O I C.....i did that to my Avalon...it did actually have a lil more boom...and i was only running one 12....i might remove it...i have to go thru the trunk again...i had a buddy helping me and i see he didn't line up the trunk liners properly....i can't put my net back in....so after i adjust that...i'll see how tough a job that is

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”