06 M35x steering rack replacement. Which to buy?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Arlo
Car: 2006 M35x

Hello all,
I have 188k on my M35x and the rack has begun to show its age. My mechanic spotted fluid leaking from the rack no too long ago and I've begun to kinda "constantly correct" the wheel to stay straight.

I'm on RockAUto and am looking at a few racks. I'm assuming I want one with a new EVO installed. So that limits me to ...

$336.79 - A-1 CARDONE 263048E {#49001EH110, 49001EH11A, 49001EH11B}
$343.79 - AAE 3657V {#49001EH11B, 49200EH11B} Remanufactured WITH SENSOR, i can only assume that "sensor" is the EVO
$468.79 - ACDELCO 36R0824 {#19320922} Professional; Remanufactured With EVO

I'm tempted to go with lowest price technically acceptable but am unfamiliar with shopping for racks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EdBwoy

Hmm, interesting name for that EVO. I always just referred to it as a power steering solenoid. I think Nissan's term in the FSM is EPS solenoid valve.
Anyway, it's replaceable. Are you planning to do the work yourself? If so, it just adds 2 nuts to remove/install and 2 O-rings to watch out for.

With regards to racks, I have bought from a different vendor because they were cheap and I found them on eBay, but I've always heard good things about Detroit axle. The one in the link seems to include everything, and they say so, but it might be worth calling to confirm that and the terms of their lifetime warranty.
https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/steeri ... i-m35-awd/ - $285

There's another smaller name company that I knew from when I owned Maximas, but that escapes me now. For the most part, I think it's a cut and dry process to rebuild a rack and most big name vendors will do good by you.

Arlo
Car: 2006 M35x

Nah i'm paying someone to do it and Holy Smokes!
Dude you just saved me a ton of loot. Thank you sooo much. Next time you're in DC shoot me a pm I owe you a round of beers.

EdBwoy

You're welcome. Please keep us updated on how your replacement goes.

And don't you think I won't show up for some drinks... one day. Haha. I've got family in MD, within 45 minutes of DC and I find myself in the area at least once a year.

CLAMMER
Car: infiniti m35

Did u ever get that Detroit axle rack? How did it work out ? I'm in need of one and looking for recommendations

MOWellsinVA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport (Obsidian Black w/ Graphite interior)

I had been told that I needed a new steering rack, and for months put it off and just kept the steering fluid topped off. This summer, however, the steering and handling of the car was getting bad, and the car felt unsafe to drive. I ordered a rack from Detroit Axle along with the upper control arms, and found the lower control arms from another source (by this point I had replaced all the other bushings in the car) and took the car and parts to a shop I have used many times. They called me to tell me that the rack was the wrong size! With the car on the lift with the old rack pulled off, the mechanic messaged me a photo of the two racks, obviously different sizes, and I told him to find a rack in town to install. Detroit Axle did refund my money, but the new rack was about twice what Detroit Axle’s price was. But the important thing was that the repair, combined with new Continentals, made the car drive like new. I was ready to trade the car in just to get rid of it, but I’m glad I didn’t. I’d be a bit leery of buying a rack from Detroit Axle after that experience.

midnightclub619
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm
Hmm, interesting name for that EVO. I always just referred to it as a power steering solenoid. I think Nissan's term in the FSM is EPS solenoid valve.
Anyway, it's replaceable. Are you planning to do the work yourself? If so, it just adds 2 nuts to remove/install and 2 O-rings to watch out for.

With regards to racks, I have bought from a different vendor because they were cheap and I found them on eBay, but I've always heard good things about Detroit axle. The one in the link seems to include everything, and they say so, but it might be worth calling to confirm that and the terms of their lifetime warranty.
https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/steeri ... i-m35-awd/ - $285

There's another smaller name company that I knew from when I owned Maximas, but that escapes me now. For the most part, I think it's a cut and dry process to rebuild a rack and most big name vendors will do good by you.
dammnnn.... this rack and pinion assembly is now $400!! i should've got this back then!! uugghhh

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

Has anyone here bought from rackdoctor.com? 06-10 RWD m35 rack is $375.

https://shop.rackdoctor.net/2006-2010-I ... 64-M35.htm

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

MOWellsinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:59 pm
I had been told that I needed a new steering rack, and for months put it off and just kept the steering fluid topped off. This summer, however, the steering and handling of the car was getting bad, and the car felt unsafe to drive. I ordered a rack from Detroit Axle along with the upper control arms, and found the lower control arms from another source (by this point I had replaced all the other bushings in the car) and took the car and parts to a shop I have used many times. They called me to tell me that the rack was the wrong size! With the car on the lift with the old rack pulled off, the mechanic messaged me a photo of the two racks, obviously different sizes, and I told him to find a rack in town to install. Detroit Axle did refund my money, but the new rack was about twice what Detroit Axle’s price was. But the important thing was that the repair, combined with new Continentals, made the car drive like new. I was ready to trade the car in just to get rid of it, but I’m glad I didn’t. I’d be a bit leery of buying a rack from Detroit Axle after that experience.
The steering rack specifically mentions the M35x model, and it says in the specs submodel is the x. I assume the M45 must just have a much different layout than the x due to not having a whole other differential and such setup that the AWD needs.

CarGuy87 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:31 am
Has anyone here bought from rackdoctor.com? 06-10 RWD m35 rack is $375.

https://shop.rackdoctor.net/2006-2010-I ... 64-M35.htm
That one will probably work as it says it is for the RWD M35 like your account says you have.

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

I always told Detroit Axle that I would slam them on any forum where I was given the chance. I bought a rack from them for my 1988 Civic. It lasted 98 days and starred to slip. Their warranty was 90 days and they wouldn’t replace it. They said there was no way it was “slipping,” and that it had to be something else. I replaced it with an OEM unit that I rebuilt and have had no issues in 4 years. Do not buy from Detroit Axle.! They suck!

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 am

That one will probably work as it says it is for the RWD M35 like your account says you have.
I wasn't looking for confirmation just posting it as another option for informational purposes for those who may need it now or when searching.

Rich709
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Im looking for Power Steering Rack & Pinion Solenoid 2006 for Infiniti M35 . Can anyone help me out ? Thx

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”