06 m35x - drive without front propeller shaft connected?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
hellabuck
Car: 2006 Infiniti m35x

U joint started clicking on my front driveshaft so I removed it, a new one is ordered, but i really need to drive and am wondering if im risking anything if I cap /seal off the input holes where the front driveshaft is inserted, remove the awd fuse, and drive it until the part comes.

I figure it should be alright since its a mainly rwd platform?

EdBwoy

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

One caution I have is if you intend to drive the car with the front CV axles connected.
If so,that means your final drive case gears will now be driven by your front axles.
They are not engineered to be driven by the axles. They are designed to drive the axles.
I cannot say if you will or will not ruin anything, but under unusual circumstances were this practice is applied on gears, (reversing the load flow) some damage usually does occur.

Cases in point:
That is why in practice you should never rear tow a front wheel drive vehicle.

There is a limit on how far and how fast you can do a front tow even on a standard rear drive hypoid / ring gear setup.

The gears in these systems are designed to either drive or be driven.

macgiver

It's like the "duty cycle" the mechanical parts/ gears were designed for. Picture for example in an open-diff if you were to weld one axle so it won't turn ( think wheel in deep rut? ) - NOW the spider gears will be spinning at a fantastic speed , one they wer'nt designed to do, for they have NO BEARINGS like the side gears have and the pinion which are allowed AND able to turn extremely fast.

Spider gears turn probly at a 3-5% duty as compared to the pinion on back. And why as you goto a posi-diff having uneven tire diameters begins to be a factor where the clutches are moving , ever so slightly but ALL OF THE TIME = 100% duty.

Comes down to - If you cause gears and components to spin in a way and as continuous that they wer'nt designed and conversely If you cause some components to NOT spin the way they were designed along with their consummate connected components , beyond whether they have proper bearings to handle the potential destruction being imparted on them due to your radical modification .

macgiver

......... same as steve_c started to say ..........

EdBwoy

steve_c wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 pm
...if you intend to drive the car with the front CV axles connected.
If so,that means your final drive case gears will now be driven by your front axles.
They are not engineered to be driven by the axles. They are designed to drive the axles.
Valid concerns in some applications.
However, consider that the AWD system in these cars is "AWD only when needed". The car is a 100% RWD system unless it notices slip between the front and rear wheels, where it could deliver up to 50% of torque to the front.
That means that for most of the car's life outside of:
1. Winter conditions
2. Tight cornering
3. Hard launches/drag racing
...the front axles are indeed driving the front final drive/ front differential and the front propeller shaft is just free-spinning like an AC compressor pulley waiting for the clutch to engage.

The towing issue is more related to lubrication & overheating, but I wanted to address only the matter of the AWD propshaft in this discussion.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”