'06 G35 Engine Won't Turn Over

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Suburman
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 AWD Sedan

My nephew bought it from a dealership up North Jersey (against everyone's advice) which is more than 2 hours away. He drove it the 2+ hrs home and it shut off when he arrived at his house. His friend jumped it and it restarted but shut off not very long after. His friend tried jumping it again but it did not turn over. It's been parked ever since and won't start. At this point he called me.

It cranks normally so it's definitely not a battery or starter issue but it won't start.

Two codes:

p0340 Camshaft Position Sensor
P0305 #5 Cylinder Misfire Detected

Installed new Hitachi OE camshaft position sensor and still won't start and both codes are still showing.

Dealer only responded to 1 phone call from my nephew. He walked him through steps to bypass anti-theft over the phone which did not work. Anyone know the proper steps to disable anti-theft for a 2006 G35? I'd like to rule that out 100% before I dig any deeper.

Any other ideas?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it was misfiring the whole length of a 2 hour trip, I hope he didn't overheat and melt the bank1 cat. To kill the alarm on almost anything that vintage, all the BCM wants to see is the key unlocking the driver's door cylinder. You also might want to rule out fuel by squirting some Brakleen down the intake. If it starts and then dies again then it's starving for fuel. Wouldn't be the first time a dealer-lot car had crap in the bottom of the tank.

Suburman

Update:

The boy's father has relieved me of the burden and had it towed to a mechanic's garage. It's only been a few days and I haven't heard any diagnosis yet. I will post a follow up when I hear the outcome.

Suburman

Update:

Good news. The used car dealer agreed to pay the mechanic for all repairs because the car was listed as "Good" condition with 70,000 mileage.

So far I know they replaced the fuel pump, filter and a fuel line. Still don't know why it's pulling the p0340 code after I installed the new OE sensor. I'll have to wait and see what they find with the #5 cylinder misfire. I have seen #5 and #6 misfire codes and #8 misfire codes on 8 cylinders caused by fuel rail leaks and/or fuel line leaks. When this happens the last 1 or 2 cylinders in the firing order can be starved for fuel which generates the code. I didn't smell or see any fuel leaks in the short time I was there changing out the sensor but I can't be 100% sure.

I may not post anymore since the job is out of my hands now. I'll be sure to pass this website onto the kid for future reference.

Cheers

Suburman

OK this one gave me a chuckle.

The tank was empty. The instrument panel showed 1/2 tank of gas but in reality it was empty. New OEM instrument cluster = $1450.00 (part only). Dealership only wants to pay the aftermarket price of about $150.00. To be continued...

wilb3
Car: 2006 G35X

Yes. The instrument panel and fuel tank reading seem to be pretty a common issue on the G35. I wish I had chimed in earlier. Hope you got the issue addressed!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”