06 engine into 03z, what does it take?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
esr
Car: 03 track version

Hi guys,I have an 03 track Z, w/o motor, I just got a 2005 aniversary short block, I am told this is basically the o6 motor, it has the 2 rear cam senosors as well as the 2 front cam facers, my 03 did not have the front cam facers.Can I make this engine run in the 03 with the stock ecu and harness?

Please share info.Rafael

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I'm not sure about the harness but you'll need the correct ECU. Two immediate things come to mind...

The Rev-Up version of the VQ from the '06 (and '05 Track and 35th Anniversary model) has variable cam timing on both exhaust and intake where the standard VQ35 is only on the intake side. It also has a higher redline, 7000 rpm vs 6500 (hence the term Rev-Up).

The physical act of the swap should be straightforward, the electronics are what will most likely give you the problems. I suppose you could always go for with some aftermarket engine management. Post back with what you find out about the harness.

What happened to the original engine in your Z?

esr
Car: 03 track version

it is in mint shape 40k freeway miles, sitting on my garage, while the rest of the car is stripped down to make into a race car, in the mean time I was given a used 05 anniversary engine of unkown origin, I procceded to rebuild it and know I would like to see it run. If it turns out to be too much hassel I may want to sell it and find another 03 to rebuild for fun.

The solenoids on the variable cam timming look identical on both cars, oil passages is provably what is different.

Thanks for the info

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”