06 Altima 3.5se engine swap?

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Dopery
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5Spd

Hey guys i had a couple questions regarding engine swapping my VQ35DE, i have a 5 spd manual and was wondering if the engine i replace mine with needs to be out of a manual trans car as well? Anyone have experience with buying used VQ35DE's?! My car will start up fine but once it gets warm it wont rev past 3000rpm's and wants to die, bank 2 cat is clogged according to my mechanic. My engine has consumed damn near 1.5qts of oil every 1000-1500 miles since ive owned it. (7 months or so) and ive got some lifter tick on cold start, along with rod knock now ever since ive had this RPM issue due to clogged cats. I already troubleshot my MAF being a problem(which sounded like it could be the issue due to reading other forum posts) and my MAF is working as intended. My plan here is to get rid of the precats while im in the proccess of swapping this engine out. Any insight/advice/places to start would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Dopery
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5Spd

Also; When im looking at different engines online im noticing some are specifying they are 4spd/5spd. Little confused by this, does a 4spd trans vq35de not work with a manual trans 5spd vq35de?

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Never swapped a 3.5 engine. I think going from a manual transmission engine to an automatic transmission engine the bolt pattern on the crank shaft for the flywheel might be different. One way to find out is to search the part number for a crank shaft and see if it matters. Maybe the harmonic ballancer as well?

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”