05 Titan Do not want to condemn Trans yet P1716

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
jlibed

I have a 2005 Titan LE 2WD Automatic 130-135K. I noticed my Trans temp was getting high. The last time I had this problem I had a hose leaked which I fixed on the side of the road and problem solved (had about 75K). Fast forward to now, I found no leaks so I decided to drain, fill, replace filter on the transmission. I did not see anything out of the ordinary looking at the trans fluid. Trans temp still runs high, but now has a hard time going from 4th to 5th engine revs and it shifts hard, and notice the check eng light. I pulled a P1716 code. Looking at the FSM its a Turbine Rev S/CIRC. I did take it to a garage and they said I needed a new Transmission. I don't want to condemn the trans yet especially since its only at 135K took me 15 years to get it that high. I know sometimes the Titan trans acts squirley when something is not right especially the high temp (last time it was a leaking hose, and yes the trans acted the same way when that happened). I cant seem to figure out where this Turbine Rev Sensor is and when I look up parts the only sensor that comes close is called SENSOR ASSY-REVOLUTION- #31935-90X02. Looking at past posts someone had posted a picture of a "speed sensor" located on the outside passenger side trans bell housing. But that was referring to an 06 Titan. Oh and by the way that part is discontinued. Does anyone know what replacement part I can use once I find the location of the Turbine Revolutin Sensor?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

P1716 often sets if the trans is slipping, which jives with your excess heat. The tranny shop probably isn't lying.

jlibed

I am hoping that’s not the case. That will run at least 3-6k. Maybe I am grasping for other options. That’s a lot of money and probably not worth it. Would like to keep it still a good truck. I can turn a wrench here and there but dripping and replacing a trans is beyond my capability. Hoping to start with the small inexpensive thing first before I chalk up the loss. If replacing the part that the code is throwing will give it a couple more years I would rather go that route...... ughh......

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

jlibed wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 pm
I am hoping that’s not the case. That will run at least 3-6k. Maybe I am grasping for other options. That’s a lot of money and probably not worth it. Would like to keep it still a good truck. I can turn a wrench here and there but dripping and replacing a trans is beyond my capability. Hoping to start with the small inexpensive thing first before I chalk up the loss. If replacing the part that the code is throwing will give it a couple more years I would rather go that route...... ughh......
Can you give us an update? :naughty:

jlibed

Went with a trans re-build. Didn’t think it was worth the money to replace w/ brand new one. Ran about 1k vice the 4K for a new one. Runs great and hope it will last another 15 years

PalmerWMD

jlibed wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:29 am
Went with a trans re-build. Didn’t think it was worth the money to replace w/ brand new one. Ran about 1k vice the 4K for a new one. Runs great and hope it will last another 15 years
I am happy to hear it! :yesnod
Only 1k?
What did they all replace?
Valve body, clutch packs ?

jlibed

Not sure what a re-build entails on a titan. But looking at the parts for it. Looked like a re build kit for the trans.

PalmerWMD

To do it for that price they likely rebuilt the transmission valve body with new gaskets, rather than replaced it (which is fine) probably cleaned the pump and gears.

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”