05 Murano - loss of power, flashing check engine light, burnt rubber smell

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
PersephoneJade
Car: Nissan: 06 Titan, 05 Murano, 95 240sx

Hello!

I am back with a new problem after posting here about an engine rattle. Recently (March) we were on our way out of town, heading up a hill with an average 6% grade at 65 mph. We were about a 1/4 of the way up the hill when we started losing speed/power and the check engine light started to flash off and on. We pulled off to the side of the road (did not turn off the vehicle) for a few minutes and the check engine light stayed off. We took the Murano back down the hill, no engine light but there was a burnt rubber smell but no visible smoke and the scent was not overly strong.
We have not yet attempted to take the Murano back up the hill, but regular driving in the valley has not yielded any more check engine lights, no smell, no smoke.

We are looking to head out again this summer and I am looking for ideas on what to have our mechanic check before our trip. Our Murano is an 05 SE AWD, with 93k miles. The power steering hose assembly was replaced earlier this year, if that matters. Regular oil changes and maintenance are also done. If anyone can steer us towards the more probable issue I would be more than thankful. I would rather not rack up a high bill with the mechanic by having him poke around everything/everywhere.

Thank you in advance!

Return to “Murano Forum”