05' Altima 3.5 - Best way to access timing components

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
swamper8
Car: 2005 Altima SER

Can someone please recommend the best way to access the timing components on a 2005' Altima 3.5 SER?

I need to replace the timing chain, tensioner and guides on my car. I have read that it's possible to do these repairs without removing the engine, but it's a little more of a PITA. I do not have a lift and do not have the luxury of dropping the whole motor/trans out from under the car.

Can someone reccommend to me tips/tricks to do this without removing the engine. Or confirm that the engine does have to come out. Also, is it 100% necessary to evacuate the A/C system?

Thank you

CPS

It is much easier to drop it, but given your options, here's what I know you have to remove or move:

RF wheelRight engine cover (plastic piece in the fenderwell in front of the belts)BeltsCrank pulleyPS pumpAC compressorFront motor mountUpper plenumValve coversVTC solenoidsLower oil pan

With all of that off or out of the way, you should have full access to removing the front cover and all timing components. It's tight quarters without the motor out of the car though, so be prepared for busted knuckles. It's also a lot of up and down, going above and below the fender. You'll probably need 2 tubes of silicone for reassembly and a couple of magnetic bowls for all those bolts in the timing cover (I think it's around 22 or so). You might as well do a front crank seal while you have it off and maybe even a water pump since it's only 3 more bolts to remove it.

swamper8
Car: 2005 Altima SER

Thanks for your input. I was looking at the car last night. Why do I need to remove the A/C compressor? I'm wondering why I can't just unbolt it and lay it toward the front of the car 3-4 inches. I know there's not a lot of play in the A/C lines but there should be a little. I'm guessing that there are timing cover bolts that are slightly hidden/covered when the A/C pump is fully in place? Or do the upper A/C lines need to be removed in order to get the timing cover out? It appears there's enough room, but I'd hate to get it half apart only to wish I had the system evacuated.

CPS

You may be able to unbolt it and swing it out of the way, but I don't know for sure. The techs at our shop don't even attempt it in the car, so I can't even ask any of them if it will work. They all drop the cradle to do it.

wildman13
Car: 2004 Altima SE 3.5VQ

Hi everyone, I know this is an old posting but I am currently doing the primary timing chain and tentioners on my 04 Altima SE 3.5VQ in my garage. I am able to do this without taking off the intake or valve covers because I am only doing the front primary chain and tentioners. If I was to replace the cam chains (secondary chains) then the above procedures need to be applied. I am also able to do this without having to purge the A/C because I was able to move it off to the side. PS pump was tough to remove but it is laying off to the side as well. I am now taking off the timing cover. Its on there good so I will have to be patient. I'm using wood shims to avoid damage to the soft aluminium. The only possible issue I can forsee is with the stud for the motor mount. It will only leave me about an inch and a half to pull it out. So far I have spent about 9 hrs on this. Having never done a car like this and only minimal tools, I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm not including my countless hours of research. lol
I have taken many pics because I would like to see more people do this on their own. This is an expensive fix at the dealers (Over $1700CAD plus tax) and if you live in a smaller city like I do most local Mechanics have no idea on how much to charge as they have to assume the worst and wont go by the book that says 11.5hrs. I decided to do this on my own with no help and very little experience on Japanese cars. I'm a vintage Chevy guy. lol
I will post again when its done to let you all know how it went.

edjose17
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE
2011 Nissan Rogue SV

Please post an update to your project.
Thank you

Buckshot

You can take the stud on the front motor mount out. You do not have to take the valve covers our platinum off either to do the secondary chains you have to brake the bolts loose before you take the primary chain off. And you can also just take the lower oil Pan off and remove the 2 bolts that goes in front cover makes job alot fast

edjose17
2011 Nissan Rogue SV

Buckshot wrote:You can take the stud on the front motor mount out. You do not have to take the valve covers our platinum off either to do the secondary chains you have to brake the bolts loose before you take the primary chain off. And you can also just take the lower oil Pan off and remove the 2 bolts that goes in front cover makes job alot fast

I´m doing this repair and have removed everything except the stud for the motor mount. Its not possible to remove it completely due to the clearance needed to slide it out. Is it possible to remove the timing chain cover with the stud attached to the engine? Or do I have to lower the engine in order to take the stud out?

Buckshot

If you take the front motor mount bolt out and raise the engine in front can get the stud out do it all the time. Yes you can take it out with the cover also but is kind of a pain

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

You might also think about taking the transmission mount off to tilt the engine back that way.

Importroller
Car: G35 and 07 Altima 3.5 6spd

can you do a write up on the repair with pics?

edjose17
2011 Nissan Rogue SV

Importroller wrote:can you do a write up on the repair with pics?
I´m working on it. I started with a lot of pics but as the job progressed and the fatigue took place less pictures were taken. But I have a good step by step process that I wrote as I did the repair, so I could put back everything in place and in order.
I´ll start a new thread.

06_blkout
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V (Sold)
2003 Nissan Sentra GXE

Just something that might help you guys with VQ's, we have a flywheel holder tool at work that makes life 150x easier. You remove the flywheel cover and insert it's teeth so it locks with the flywheels teeth, and insert it's bolt into the hole that the cover bolt came out of. Totally eliminates the need to hold the cams when you are loosening/tightening.

There's different ones for the VQ35 and VQ40, so make sure you get the right one.

We don't take ours out of the car we do them right in the car. Just remember to take that tool out before you start the engine, I've seen that done before lol

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”