04' QX56 Rear Hatch Locking Issue

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

Hello all,
I just experienced an issue with my 2004 QX56 yesterday while driving it. The power locks to the rear hatch door unlocked the rear window on its own, which triggered an alarm on my display. I thought I just had not closed the door completely so I pulled over, got out, and tried to lift the entire door manually and it wouldn't budge so it was indeed already closed. Ithen lifted the rear window manually (which opened right up so this is what had unlocked) and closed it and everything seemed normal after that. When I left work yesterday evening, the same thing happened but this time the rear door lock made a clicking sound for several seconds, almost as if the lock was locking and unlocking back and forth. Clearly something is wrong. Anyone had this problem and if so, is this something I can order a part for and fix myself or is this a dealer repair only issue? I tried searching on this forum and another forum for key words to this problem but found nothing.

Thanks!
Steve

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

Well, I figured this problem out. This seems to be a problem with either my 04' or the 04s in general as I found out this same part failed about 3 years ago (just before I bought the truck) and the dealer fixed it per a service invoice that was in my glovebox. The Rear Hatch Switch Assembly crapped out, as described in Service Bulletin ITB07-017. I ordered the new part from Infiniti Parts USA out of Scottsdale ($137, Switch Assembly Back Door, Part No. 25384-ZH60A) and followed the service manual on getting to the old part. You have to remove the lower trim on the liftgate from the inside and remove the part from that vantage point. I originally thought I could go through the license plate lamp finisher on the outside of the truck but no go on that idea. It was a bit tricky for not having removed the lower trim piece before but once I got the trim piece off, access to the part was fairly obvious. It took about 10 min. to swap old part for new, although the entire job took me ~3.5 hours since I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I did make a mistake which I will need to correct at some point when I have a spare hour. The part that I had to replace contains the rubber boots for the release buttons to operate the liftgate and glass window. I inadvertently installed the boot that opens the liftgate upside down so if anyone is reading this b/c of the same issue, make sure you install the rubber boot in the correct orientation. I think I may replace the entire license plate lamp finisher part b/c I noticed about 5 cracks in it from possibly the first time it was removed for the same problem. Also, the INFINITI emblem came off and as I looked it at closely, the legs on the backside that hold it in place broke off and appeared to be glued in some some weak adhesive. The entire license plate lamp finisher part is expensive ...I think $450 or so but since mine is cracked in multiple spots, I might install a new one and at that point, I'll correct the orientation of the liftgate open button. But all is well now ...the problem is gone. My liftgate locks are operating as normal and I probably saved a few hundred in dealer labor. :chuckle:

overdalimit
Car: 04 QX56

Same problem with mine.... BURNED my hide until I figured it out. Got tired of running to the back to open and close the glass on the hatch until I found it that it was a bad switch... I don't even use the friggin glass access...

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Good catch....

I remember when those where new we were so confused as to why you could stand near the truck and unlock it and the rear window would open. That was a real head scrather.

Pretty easy fix now though.

renyshap
Car: Infiniti QX56

I just purchased an '04 QX56 and a few days later I started to have issues with the rear glass opening by itself. I thank everyone for their input in this forum because it allowed me to replace the switch which was badly corroded. I saved a ton doing the labor myself and even received a discount on an OEM part because I am a member of this site. I appreciate it guys!!! :dblthumb:

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

That is really great news!!!

Congrats and welcome to NICO.

Enjoy the newish QX.

jchrist24
Car: 2004 qx56

can you just take out the old part since i never use it?

TonyGqx56
Car: 2010 QX56 Late Model

Hi All,
I have replaced that switch twice now and now it doesn't work at all. The dealer says it's the body module and that it must be programmed to the vehicle it's going on. Also the rear door won't open by itself any more unless you pull on the handle a little. It seems to stick and then closes itself again. I can use the key or the switch inside and it opens fine. Ideas? I already have the body control module, I just need to see if it's something I can program or if it's a dealer only issue. As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Fiddysix

I have a 2007 and have noticed the warning liftgate open image on the screen when I'm driving. I have also heard the rear hatch lock and unlock like crazy on it's own sometimes it's back to back for at least 5 times. Its always the glass that unlocks. I have looked at the latch while its locking and unlocking but it doesnt look like its latching all the way, it barely moves. I think I will try swapping the switch out hopefully it works. My liftgate also does was Tontgqx56 is taking about, I'll press the button it beeps, will start to open maybe and inch or two then immediately closes. This happens at least 3 times in a row before it finally opens but I have hear it kind of shuddering as its opening. Will the window latch fix this also?

shawn19
Car: 2005 qx56

I have the same problem on my 05 with the rear glass open by itself i have replace the the latch lock now it does not work at all so i just leave it alone. if it not a big deal you can disconnect it and it wont work that what i should of done.

Doc_Charles_KY
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56

Hi. Has anyone who has had trouble with the rear glass unlocking/opening itself tried just disconnecting the lock mechanism? If so - did that cause any other problems? I’m having the same problem with mine and never use the hatch anyways.

leadsledqx56
Car: 2005 QX56 172k miles+

I electrically disconnected my rear actuator motor electrical connector this week. Mine is having this exact problem. I am about to take my push button release switch off and see if I have corrosion inside that can be cleaned out. I have electrically tested my actuator/ motor for the release and it works perfectly. I am simply not getting power to the actuator. I've checked my harness from the actuator motor up the harness to the top of the hatch and into the chassis and it appears perfectly fine. I am hoping its the release button and not the body module computer.

Nathanniice1
Car: 2005 Infiniti QX56
2007 Infiniti G35x

i have a rear hatch locking issue...i hit a pothole really hard on a cold day with bad air shocks. the window glass did not break however the 2 screws at the top of the rear window glass broke off completely and the bolts on the lock at the bottom of the window, one is missing now and the other is loose. i am having difficulty finding a solution to this as the window replacement company doesn't know what to do to fix this and i can't seem to find the parts online anywhere. i am about to take to the dealership but i'd rather not. any suggestions?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

InfinitiPartsDeal shows all the hatch glass parts still available (but pricey). Not sure exactly what you need:
Lock Assy - 90330-7S600
Striker - 90332-7S000
Hinges - 90320-7S000
Hinge Nuts - 01225-0012U
Hinge Bolts - 90398-ZQ000

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”