04 Quest 3.5 SE Help!!

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Mattwhite503
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

I'm hoping that somebody here can help me out with some info as to what I'm dealing with. I am relatively new to Nissans. My newly acquired Quest has some issues of the electrical variety. The speedometer, Tachometer, fuel level, temp level, everything that is contained within the whole left side of the radio in the instrument cluster is dead. I've tested the electrical and ground connections at the cluster and it's getting around 12v and a good ground. So I initially assumed that the board for the cluster was bad. But I'm also experiencing other issues. No interior lights, the AC isn't turning on (can't hear AC clutch engage) readout on right side of gauge cluster doesn't indicate and Check Engine Lights, however having just scanned the ECU I see 13 codes.

Does this sound at all like a known problem or has anybody seen this before? I've been looking for about the last hour online and can't find another person who has the same issues as mine does. Any help is appreciated!!

Mattwhite503

Some additional info on this. I neglected to mention in my previous post that it would appear the air bag system is having issues as well. The airbag light is flashing on the indicator on the right side of the gauge cluster.

Could my issues simply be a bad Unified Meter control unit? My ECU is reading codes for the sensors that read vehicle speed, temperature and fuel level, which is all the gauges affected, minus RPM, which there was no code for but still doesn't function. Does anybody know if the cluster reads values directly from the sensors, or does it get it's info from the ECU?

far raf
Car: 2005 Nissan Quest SE (standard? simple? edition - i.e. nothing special)

As this is 04, there is high degree of likelihood that your ECU housing has through corrosion and the mainboard is affected. Start by checking that.
And list the codes you are getting.

Mattwhite503

So the codes I am getting are:

P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
P1614 NATS CHAIN OF IMMU-KEY
U1001 CAN Communication line
P1574 ASCD Vehicle speed sensor Signal malfunction
P0102 Mass air volume air flow circuit low input
P0462 Fuel level sensor A circuit low input
U1001 CAN Communication line (it's repeated on the list, not sure why?)
P1574 ASCD Vehicle speed sensor Signal malfunction (Again, it's repeated)
P0462 Fuel level sensor A circuit low input
P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0430 Catalyst system below threshold bank 2
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit high input
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit high input

That is all the codes per the reader. I will check on the condition of the ECU now and report back what I find. The car seems to run great though. Still has power, shifts fine. idles fine which is why I haven't suspected the ECU thus far, but I will pull it and check it out.

Mattwhite503

I pulled the ECM and it had the typical topical rust, but only on the surface, with a very gentle sanding, the rust totally removes so I doubt that it's made it's way into the unit which appears to be pretty sealed up. I didn't open the unit up though, should I?

far raf

This is good. I would not open it unless necessary. Mine had surface corrosion too, I brushed off the aluminum oxide and put a coat of rustproofing between the case and mounting bracket.
Did you try to re-set the codes? Do they all always come back in the same order as above?
Next I would check the battery, its cables, ground points, grounding cables and the alternator, as you have so many malfunctions that there must be something common to cause that.
For now I would ignore P0420/30 and P0300, they can be dealt with later, but the rest all must have an electric origin, unless all those sensors are simultaneously broken, which is unlikely IMO. If feels like you either have a short or degraded wiring somewhere. A squirrel nest? They chewed on the wiring? Possible.

Mattwhite503

So should I focus my wire checking efforts under the hood you think? I will start testing stuff out. I tested the power and grounds at the connectors that plug into the cluster and it seemed like they checked out.

Mattwhite503

I've checked all the engine bay grounds that I could find (both sides of fender wells). I tested all the grounds in the IPDM per the service manual. I've checked every fuse in the whole van. Still coming up with no changes. The gauges are still dead. :/

far raf

How old is the battery? Is the alternator original? What voltage are you getting with the ignition turned off and with the engine running?
Does the engine start and run Okay? Any misfiring you can feel of?

Mattwhite503

The battery gets 12.7 cold and engine running is just around 14 ish. Idk the age of either but the van runs great. Just no gauges, interior lights, AC, and my airbag light is flashing.

far raf

IDK. It is probably time to d/l the FSM and trace ground and +12V to all those circuits. Check the TSBs and recalls as well, there may be something related. You probably did not spend tons of $$ on this van, so might afford taking it to the dealer just for diagnostics.

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

I was going to suggest the same as far raf. You need to see a steady ~14VDC across the battery leads with the engine at idle. If it dips less, it could be a the alternator or battery. Other than that, maybe there an issue with a chassis ground somewhere?

far raf

Matt,

How are things with your van? Any luck diagnosing?

Mattwhite503

I still wasn’t able to figure out what the issue was. I sorta washed my hands with it but if you guys have any renewed suggestions I’m open to it.

Mattwhite503

I’m also having another issue with this van. The other day I was driving and suddenly the engine lost power and started misfiring. I was only able to use partial throttle or the engine would make a loud drumming noise and the valve train would chatter. It idles just fine though. No issues at idle. Could this be bad coils? What should I start checking?

far raf

Need to pull codes again, it can be MAF (if our engines have it, don't hold me to it) or one of camshaft or crankshaft position sensors.
You can check coils of course, if you knew which cylinders misfired.

Mattwhite503

Well I’ve already set about removing the coils and plugs. It’s all pulled apart (not as bad and people say, but definitely not an easy spark plug change) I’m waiting on my new set to arrive via amazon prime.

Mattwhite503

I think I’ve figured out the issue with the gauge cluster. I have continuity between the terminal post and where this breaks and the other side of the break to the resistor post. So I’m thinking since this is the lead for the constant 12v power supply for the combined meter, this could be my problem. With that being said, does anybody have a pic of a working one for reference?!?

Mattwhite503

Well the mystery for the cluster issue is somewhat solved. Now just going to find a reputable person to do the repairs. Image

far raf

your photobucket is all screwed since they want $$ for 3d party hosting, so none of the images are showing

Mattwhite503

Wow... they were showing yesterday. Regardless I found a broken solder joint on the board Itself and rigged it to test it and it worked great. So I’m having mine repaired. Should have it all buttoned up by Sunday and will be back with another list of repair questions. Cause it’s an 04 Quest.

Mattwhite503

Update: so I changed out my plugs, coils and while I was back there I changed out my pcv valve. Solved the engine cutting out issue.

far raf

Cold solder joints is the gift which keeps on giving, courtesy of RoHS: god bless lead free solder, NOT. Screws up everyone, saves one polar bear in a millennium.

Return to “Quest Forum”