04 infiniti G35X

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
lovingforty
Car: 04 infiniti G35X

Love this car. It has 97,000 miles on it and am wandering about the timing chain. I have heard (from guy friends of mine) it needs to be replaced but when I called the dealership, the mechanic stated it is a "no service item" and they did not replace them.
I searched the forum but am still unclear. Does it need changing? If so, when?
I have owned the car for three years. It had 47,000 when I bought it from my brother. I have recently given it to my 16 year old son.
The mechanic did want me to bring it in for service....which I have never done.
Do you all recommend this? 600 was the charge. I recentlty bought new tires and had the oil changed, but my son says it is not idling properly...meaning it cuts out sometimes when he trys to start it.
Can you help me sort this out?...please

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hi there,

I am a little confused by the direction of your post but I will try to see what I can do. :1

The engine in the 04 G has a silent lifetime timing chain. There should not (under normal circumstances) be any reason to "maintain" this chain. I have only seen a small handful of these taken apart and I have been there since most of these were new. If a mechanic wants to sell you such a service I would seriously question their ability to service your car, when they are either unsure of the construction of your engine or see $ at the thought of an unknowing owner.

At the very least follow the maintenance schedule in the back of the owners manual. If you do not have a copy check the link below.
http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/techpubs
2006 is the oldest listed but it is still a good reference guide to follow.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”