04 G35x binding/bucking feeling when turning from a stop.... please help

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
totchan55
Car: 2004 G35x

I have a 2004 G35x. It feels like the front wheel hubs are binding when I turn the wheel. I mostly feel it when I turn the wheel and then try to accelerate. The car feels like it is binding/bucking. I just got the car, and 3 weeks ago, the Infiniti dealer replaced the front left wheel bearing under warranty, as well as the compression rods. I was only driving the car for 5 days before that, so I'm not sure if it was there before the dealer worked on it. I've felt this before on some 4x4 vehicles when turning, but I thought that the G35x didn't throw power to the front wheels unless necessary, so I didn't know that the hubs would engage without reason. Anyone have any experience with this? Any reply's would be appreciated.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Welcome to NICO.

I'm going to take a few stabs in the dark here. Maybe Steve or one of the other techs can chime in with a more educated analysis.

First try to drive the car in circles (sounds like a joke, I know). If the symptom persists beyond the initial "buck" then I'd say it was transaxle related. If the symptom only happens once, then you're able to drive in a circle without it happening again, I'd say it was a suspension issue and might be something like a shock/spring bearing/sleeve (I haven't looked into how the front suspension is setup on our Gs).

Are you possibly driving in snow mode? I think snow mode automatically starts with a 50:50 torque distribution, then the computer adjust accordingly.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Is it only doing it at heavy acceleration or all kind of? Do you see your slip light blinking when it does it?

This are important questions to see better. It could be too many thing. Could be just worn tires or summer tires and VDC kicks in all the time. Could have been tire pressure. Are you running same size tires all around? Is it only doing it when you turn left or right?

zozo

awdjdmtalon
Car: 04 G35 Coupe, Diamond Grafite Metalic, Aero package, 6MT

It is called torqe bind. AWD cars will have this if the center diff is not slipping like it is supposed to. Something is keeping it engauged. I replace the valve in Suby auto trans all the time for this proplem.

It is something that needs to be corrected before you damage the center diff.

totchan55
Car: 2004 G35x

Thank you all for your replies. Here are the answers to your replies. Maybe you can get a better idea. Sentientbydesign - It persists beyond the initial buck. I actually just checked the receipt. They replaced the hub and the bearing. When I picked it up from the dealer, I felt the bucking. Then I noticed that the snow light was on. I turned it off when I realized it. Never correlated the two. zozoka1212 - The bucking it at acceleration of any kind. Whether I am turning the wheel while doing a K-Turn, or turning out of a driveway. Once or twice the slip light went on. As far as your other questions. Tires are all new. Air pressure was set when the tire pressure light came on, and it does it regardless of whether I turn right or left. (Left hub & bearing replaced)awdjdmtalon - Here's the thing. My bumper - bumper warranty expired 11/30/08. I dropped the car off at the dealer for the compression rods and hub and bearing on 11/28. I am trying to see whether or not this is computer related, or equipment related. If it is drivetrain related, the car is still under the Infiniti drivetrain warranty. But I can't afford to bring it into the dealer to find out if is not covered under warranty and be charged a diagnostic fee. I want to use the information I gather here and make a decision on whether or not it is drivetrain related. I honestly thank all of you for your input. It is definitely greatly appreciated.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Welcome to the Group

The way the ATTESSA system works is when wheel speed variance it engages the elctro-magnetic clutch inside the transfer case.

Under normal driving conditions and accelerating at ~<1/4-1/2 throttle application (depending on input from the steering angle,decel/G, and numerous other sensors) all the torque is applied to the rear wheels and no current is applied to the magnet. Once a variance of somewhere around 2-3 mph between any of the wheels, current is increased to the magnet in accordance to what is needed to regain traction. Most of the time the VDC will momentarily cut throttle control and fuel injector pulse to assist your G in regaining traction.

If your front wheels are turning when they are not supposed to be you may have an issue. This is one of those things you may have to bite the bullet on, having it properly diagnosed will give you the piece of mind knowing that it's running the way it should be. Depending on what if anything is wrong it may be covered under warranty, hopefully it is for your sake.

You should have gone for an extended warranty, these cars (when out of warranty) are not cheap to fix, general component failure is not common even with crazy mileage. Some things do wear over time and there are countless electronic devices that have serviceable lives. You might want to think about putting some cash aside to cover incidentals that may pop up.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

You have a factory 7-year powertrain warranty...Take it to the dealer!

SANDERSMETALS
Car: g35x

did you ver find out what this problem was,,i have the exactttttt same issue that i cant figure out, im thinking diff front or the transfer case

ntcine
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35x

I believe I am having a similar issue. Not sure how to describe the feeling but I think binding would be a good word. My 04 G35x seems to struggle doing hard turns from a standstill. It’s more pronounced in reverse for some reason. Car runs smoothly and handles turns well but seems to bind up when turning the wheels all the way to one direction and pressing the throttle (like when doing a u-turn or reversing into a parking spot). Interestingly if I go through the motions faster it’s doesn’t seems to struggle. So it seems to be related to slower speeds (0-10mph). Not sure of a solution but I believe I have similar symptoms to this thread. This car came to me as a fixer-up so I don’t if this is normal behavior or specific to my vehicle.

Some additional related info:
- Transmission, Transfer case, and both Differentials have had fluids drained and filled.
- Replaced front propeller shaft
- Replaced front wheel bearings, cv axles, and compression rods
- Car has 190,000 miles with all the above work done recently

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”