04 G Coupe 120K Control Arm & Compression Rod

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Question....
G has 120K miles on her.
Nissan Advisor told me about a year ago that my Compression Rods would probably be next to go and I need to think about replacing them.
Fast forward to today.
I checked my suspension the other week and noticed that the Control Arm bushings were blown on both sides, so I took it to my buddy who is a master car/truck mechanic to have him check it out. He gave it a good look over and checked all of the ball joints.
His recommendation is to replace only the Control Arms due to the blown bushings.
Is there any reason to change the Compression Rods if he says all looks good??
Does a Nissan Advisor know something that we don't?? Or is he just guessing.
Advisor made it sound like the 'bad' Compression Rods' caused the Control Arm bushings to blow out.......
I have both the Control Arms & Compression Rods, but plan on taking the Compression Rods back for $$$
THANKS!!! :)

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I think if the ball joints were bad in the CRs, that could cause wear in the bushings. I have read about others who get these older cars and they have to go through replacing much of the suspension. You have a buddy to help and he already did an inspection. I suppose he could inspect a little further while installing the other bits. If he says yours are fine after an actual installation, the send 'em back for refund! If he thinks the new CRs are needed, you have them on hand.

SVTCOBRA

Thanks, I did take the compression rods back. Drives much better now too!!!!

JustAnotherG35
Car: 2017 Majestic White Q50S Premium Plus

It's common. Bought my 06 coupe with 130k, first thing I had to do was replace front lower control arms as the bushings were destoryed, causing the front wheels to toe in and eating up the inner tire tread. I took mine to an Infiniti dealer to look it over, but I didn't use them for service (was quoted $1300 all in) they informed me that my ball joints were fine and din't need to be touched.

SVTCOBRA

My cost was $466....which included 2 lower control arms, 2 tie rods, new grease gun, grease, alignment, Bass Pro Shop gift card and dinner out for my buddy (and wife) that helped me. :dblthumb:

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”