03 m45 faults..? (purchase inquiry)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Rookieca18det
Car: 93 hatchback (ca18det)

So I am looking for a second car, something that is not so "racer kid". I'm starting a new business and still work full time, so I am looking for something that is not going turn away potential clients or investors. I have liked the styling of the 03 m45 since I first saw it, but this is the first time I could really afford it. After doing some shopping around I have found that one could be had for under 23k with about 35,xxx miles on it. I guess what I am concerned about is the couple of issues I have read about them online. For instance, burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and delays in shift points in the tranny. I have a Ca18det powered 240 which I love and will be keeping but I would like something I can drive to and from work in luxury and comfort. My next choice would be a G35, I am just afraid I would want to pour money into it. Well thanks and I didn't mean to rant on like that. Please tell me any problems you may have ran into with your car, and if none then that's great because I would really love to buy this car in clear conscience.

Richard

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, Richard.

There are a number of posts and thread along this lines - some fairly recent ones too! So, I would also recommend doing a search of the posts here in this forum.

As a summary, the one major issue is the engine oil consumption. Another (relatively minor compared to the oil) issue - since it seems to be occurring to more people recently - are the trunk struts weakness. They seem to fail after some time. Mine were just replaced under warranty for example.

The delays in the shift points is a simple TSB application that reprograms the transmission for better results. You can also turn the VDC off for best results when you need it too!

The transmission is "adaptive" and "learns" the driver's habits - whenever I get the car back from my wife after she drives it, I have to be quite aggressive the first 10 to 20 minutes to get it familiar with my driving habits again. These result in better and faster shift points again.

Everything else can probably be characterized into "some people will have this problem" situations. At least one issue has been costly for one person reporting here (had to replace the LCD and Navigation system after warranty had expired).

In general, other than the oil and trunk struts, I would say that the 2003 and 2004 M45 have been fairly trouble-free for most people.

Note that the thread here about reporting trouble is unfilled for these model years though, because not enough people have reported on these years yet ...

My advice would be to get a 100k mile extended warranty and go for the car.

Note that the M45 is not going to compare to a small sports car in feel and handling - what you are looking at here is a large V-8 inside a large sedan. But, what you get has its own enjoyable behavior! Lots of torque, lots of acceleration and lots of high-speed driving capability, and a reasonably luxurious interior too.

Summary: the 2003 and 2004 M45 have a nice balance of sportiness and luxury - at an affordable price.

Hope this helps!

Z

Rookieca18det

Thanks very much. I am going to test drive one this friday and see how i like it. The interior looks incredible from some of the pics I saw. Hopefully you will be getting a new member to this section of the forums. Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Richard

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

Rookieca18det wrote: I am going to test drive one this friday and see how i like it. Richard
Drive it like you stole it for at least 10 miles. With 35,000 miles on the car, make sure that the 30K service was completed in full.

Rookieca18det

Thanks for the heads up. I will put the motor through its paces. It will be nice to drive to work and not have someone try to race me. Your car looks reall clean by the way. Do you have any other pics? I really hope everything works out and I can pick it up on saturday.

Rookieca18det

One more thing, besides blue smoke on start up is there anything else I should look out for..?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”