03 M45 Electrical gremlin [SOLVED - brake switch]

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
whitee01
Car: 2003 M45

I've searched through a lot of previous posts and could not find a similar issue, so here it goes. No previous issues whatsoever, driving around 50 mph, my ABS, VDC, and slip lights came on in the dash. I also got ABS and VDC warnings. It will no longer accelerate above 55, in manual mode the transmission seems to shift fine through first and second gears but will not go above 2000 - 2500 RPM through remaining gears. The problem that makes no sense is that now my brake lights will not turn off, I need to disconnect the battery every time I park now. I've had absolutely no work done in the last 15,000 miles besides oil changes. If anybody had any clue, please let me know. Thanks guys.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

Good clue you gave...I would check the brake light relay(s), Consult the FSM & read up on them & confirm location & which one is for the stop lights.
Good Luck!

EdBwoy

Or the brake switch behind the pedal. I believe that has an RPM limiter as well, but I would need to read the FSM to confirm.
Also, do you feel/ hear your ABS system pulsate/run when you start the car?

whitee01

I haven't noticed the ABS pulsating when I start the car, but I will look at the brake switch and relay when I get off work. If it was a rev limiter wouldn't it happen all the time? The transmission shifts fine through first and second.

EdBwoy

In my head, the logic is: what is the speed of each wheel, what speed is the transmission turning, what gear is it in, what is the crankshaft speed... and why is the brake switch asking for the car to be stopped? Cut fuel

I asked about the ABS system, because a blown fuse, relay or bad module will cause those lights to come on. However, I don't think anything short of an engaged switch or electric short will turn on your brake light.

The qualifier is that I have to go and read up on it again.

whitee01

Well, I looked under my dash and it ended up being the brake pedal switch bumper. I never thought a 12 dollar part could cause so much trouble. Thanks for the advice, glad it was a simple fix.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

EdBwoy wrote:Or the brake switch behind the pedal........
Ah-Ha!
Another successful diagnosis from EdBwoy.......and Ed, you didn't even have to refer back to the manual!

EdBwoy

steve_c wrote:
EdBwoy wrote:Or the brake switch behind the pedal........
Ah-Ha!
Another successful diagnosis from EdBwoy.......and Ed, you didn't even have to refer back to the manual!
:dblthumb:
People helping people, that's where it's at, right Steve?
It's a plus when the OP is very descriptive with the problem and symptoms as that helps us get to a solution quickly.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”