03 Frontier- no tail lights or running lights

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Nicofrontier
Car: '03 Nissan Frontier

Hi, I have a 03 Frontier and my 15amp fuse (Taillight) under the hood keeps blowing. I removed my LED Light bulbs from the license plate (and the wire that runs to the license plate) and front running light that are above the signal bulbs and the fuse keeps blowing. I also removed the stereo and the fuse still blew. The dash board lights are also out including the lights for the A/c head unit. The lights that are working are headlights, cab light, cargo lamp, brakes and turn signals. Is anyone able to help me out with this. I’m frustrated with the truck already and i drive early in the morning and is dangerous for me and other motorists.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Dash lights and tail lights are on the same fuse circuit, so the same fuse. I think it's a 15a fuse, so be sure you're putting a large enough fuse in it. Beyond that, look for chafing on wires. You said you messed with the license plate wiring, so I'd start there when looking for shorts. Also consider pulling your tail lights to see if any wires are getting chafed against the body there and grounding out. I blew that fuse a couple times in my old D22, so it's a relatively common issue.

Nicofrontier
Car: '03 Nissan Frontier

Thanks for the reply. The person that owned the truck before me did some half a** work on an alarm system and started making a short and had chafing wires touching behind the cluster. After I removed the alarm system wires and put new wire for the dash dimmer, the fuse stopped blowing. So, I now have running lights, dash and license lights.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

cool! Glad you got it fixed

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”