03 Frontier no reverse

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
36racin
Car: 2003 Nissan Frontier

Sons truck threw a PO-732 code last week. Two of the possible problems was a bad knock sensor and bad TB positioner(according to Autozone scanner). Was able to relocate knock sensor to top of intake as seen on multiple videos. Disconnected battery and code cleared. Truck runs great. Problem is it now has NO reverse. All this happened at same time. No other transmission issues or warning. Could there be an internal code or something holding the transmission in a safe mode by the computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI fluid and filter need replacing. Will do if I can fix simple or cheap. No need to waste money at this point.

03 Frontier v6 automatic 183000 miles

Todd

36racin

Brought truck to Nissan dealer this earlier. Had them put truck on computer to see if any codes were there and not throwing a check engine light. PO-732 and PO-733 came up. Talked to the tech and he said in his experience the reverse gear is out. And a new or replacement transmission would be needed. Didnt ask him but could a bad reverse solenoid hold out the fluid pressure to the reverse system somehow? Dealer price for a trans is approximately $4100. Truck probably isnt worth that much.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Tranny codes don't all light the MIL, so that isn't unusual. P0732 and P0733 are never caused by electrical issues, they're always hydraulic or mechanical. Chances are the dealer is right and that tranny is shot.

36racin

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:06 pm
Tranny codes don't all light the MIL, so that isn't unusual. P0732 and P0733 are never caused by electrical issues, they're always hydraulic or mechanical. Chances are the dealer is right and that tranny is shot.
Yeah that's what I am thinking. There were no check engine light on when driving to the dealership. Truck runs great. Fluid/filter does need changing but was waiting until i figured out this no reverse issue. Funny all this happened at the same time.

Thanks for the reply,
Todd

36racin

Havent fooled with the TPS. But did take truck to two trans shops today. One scanned it. PO-732 and 733 codes were there. But also a 00 initial start code. Not sure what that is or if its related. Lady that did scan had never seen that code before. Dealer on Saturday also mentioned something like that. And the second shop just called back. Looks like I'm getting a new or replacement trans

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”