03 Altima Transmission Filter question

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
cblazer
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

I was getting ready to purchase a transmission filter for my wife 03 altima 2.5

I saw a footnote next to the part I was prepared to purchase from NAPA that saids that valve body has to be removed before installing new automatic transmission filter.Has anyone changed their transmission filter so you can share you experience. Wondering if this is someting I need to stay away from or if others have done it at home.

Thanks

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

yes, the control valve assembly sits right after the oil pan.

cblazer

180fan wrote:yes, the control valve assembly sits right after the oil pan.
I do not understand what yes means. Do you know if that valve body has to be removed in order to change the transmission filter?If it has to be removed is that something that is easily done or real complex.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Sam in Raleigh.

zer...ote=1#http://forums.nicoclub.com/zer...ote=1#

180fan

doh. Maybe this will help with your install.

cblazer

180fan wrote:doh. Maybe this will help with your install.
It does but what bothers me now is the text that saids "Do not re-use the bolts". Why? Are they such a soft metal that they are unable to hold torque specs if reused?The other thing that is confusing for me being someone who has never done this on this vehicle but others...is the illustration that shows removing the snap ring from the stud protruding from the terminal body. Will the transmission filter then come out from the body meaning it is held in place by the snap ring?

MAN I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. I was totally surprised and please to see the diagram you posted. Just one more question (above) and I should then have a full understanding of the procedure.Thanks again.

Sam in Raleigh.

180fan

probably stretch type bolts just like the bolts for the head on your engine. You probably could reuse them, only if you measure em. I'm not too sure of the specs on the bolt lengths though. So to play it safe, I'd probably just cough up the couple bucks for bolts at the dealer for some peace of mind.

the snap ring is probably there to keep the assembly from just flying off or bending as the last couple bolts are coming off.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”