03 350Z Radio Harness Confusion...

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

03 350Z Performance Edition

I bought this car a few months ago and it still had the factory radio installed. After removing the door panel to fix a bad window motor I found that it has Bose speakers. Behind the drivers seat there is a piece of sheet metal with a large hole and tapped holes to accommodate a subwoofer, but there is no subwoofer. In that hole I noticed an RCA cable and blue wire which I think could be a remote wire to an amp, hooked to nothing, so I assumed the previous owner possibly removed the stock sub and added an aftermarket sub/amp.

Today I remove the stock radio to install a Kenwood I have and can't figure out what I found. There were two harness plugs connected to the radio. There are three more just laying back there hooked to nothing.

The radio I removed has a REMANUFACTURED sticker on top, and is made by Clarion.

The two large plugs that were unhooked say METRA, which I have read make harnesses for those who would like to replace a factory Bose radio with non Bose and bypass the amp.

My questions are:
1. If my car has Bose door speakers and a hole for a subwoofer, did it come with a Bose system? Or do they come with the door speakers and need the Bose radio/amp/sub to be a true Bose system?
2. Why are there 4 plugs for the radio? The METRA harnesses lead me to believe it was at one time a Bose radio but I was switched out for the cheaper stock unit. But did Nissan put the plugs for the Bose and non-Bose in all cars?
3. What is the smaller plug on the right with orange and black wires for?

I can hook my new head unit to the harness the factory radio was hooked to, I just want to figure out why there are so many plugs and what the harnesses were spliced on for. Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Most likely the metra harness was put in because whoever put in an aftermarket radio just hacked it into the factory wiring. The factory radios were made by clarion, and a lot of the bose radios had issues with intermittent speaker issues that was in the deck, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch that it was replaced under warranty. You most likely would have had the full bose system in there with the sub, but it's also in a convenient place to put an amp, so that's probably what happened.

The smaller plug could have been for a ton of different things like a satellite radio or something similar.

Grimreefer721
Car: 1991 240sx s13
*KA24DET

2014 Altima S

Hey man I was tryin to reply to your message in regards to your reply. But apparently I dont have messaging privileges? Dont get that but either way I'm located in Oklahoma

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”