02 QX4 Transmission Jerk when coming to stop

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Slice of Life
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 - Silver

Hey All,

So I’ve got an 02 QX4 with 163k miles. I’m the second owner and have been quite diligent when it comes to keeping up with all maintenance items. I’ve recently noticed that whenever coming to a stop in traffic (only on flat surfaces, not hills) that my car feels like it sleeps into a locked mode where it won’t move forward when you let off the break, like you would expect it to when it’s in drive, at least on a flat surface. Anyways, after coming to a stop, I let off the break and it won’t move forward until I hit the gas then it’s a slight jerk forward and then I’m back to cruising and shifting just fine. There’s no slipping no transmission flare, nothing else out of the ordinary, it’s shifts just fine on the highway and around town. I’m somewhat puzzled by what this could be, I’m wondering if it’s simply my rear differential? The stuck feeling comes from the back of the car almost like it’s the transmission control module or speed sensor aren’t communicating correctly. I have no problems with going into auto or high 4WD or in reverse. I’m stumped at the moment and any help or advice is much appreciated. The cars in great shape and I am planning on running it until it blows up, but I just didn’t expect the tranny to have issues before the engine.

Thanks in advance gents!

born2lse

What's your idle rpms?

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

My 03 has so little idle creep I posted about it early in my ownership. I actually prefer it to the norm, but it did concern me a little bit. 3 years later no issues. However no jerk like you mentioned. My first step on pretty much any A/T problem is to change the fluid, at least once, and maybe every oil change for a while. Cheap and easy to do since Nissan uses regular fluid not the magic juice some of my BMWs have used. Also a jerk while starting out can simply be low on fluid, I'm assuming you have checked it?

Slice of Life

Unfortunately, I started noticing this about two days ago and I’ve had the flu ever since. I did notice while I was changing my oil about a week ago that there is fluid leak where the drive shaft connects to the tranny. I’m gonna chug a bunch of DayQuil and get out there and check my levels. I would assume the leak has caused my levels to drop and I just need to add some temporarily until I’ve replaced the seal. Not sure how much that is gonna cost labor wise. I’d prefer to use Nissan Matic-D or Royal Purple when I do change fluid and fix seal. In the mean time what should I put in there to raise the levels until I get seal fixed, assuming that’s the problem. Also is it worth using sea foam treatment on it prior to. I’ve actually already got a fresh tranny filter and gasket I ordered awhile back ready to go. Would you recommend a pan drop for replacement of filter? I don’t plan on doing flush just change.

Oh and idle rpms are completely normal.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

I'd just use Dextron III especially just for a top off, but remember it's supposed to be checked when warm. The owners manual even says Dextron III is ok. Personally I'd hold off on Seafoam until after a change and even then only if it's still a problem. With 163K on it, I do think a filter is a good idea. Trannys vary, but doing a drain of course does not change all of it, not by a long shot. But if you do it 3 times, say with oil changes it typically gives you a 90% change, and I do agree with you on just doing a change and not a flush.

Slice of Life

So I got a chance to check my levels and they were just fine and the fluid still nice and pink. I have a new filter and gasket as I mentioned and I’m going to schedule a quick tranny fluid change over to royal purple and see if that helps. I bought the car at 115k and I’m at 163k and I haven’t changed differentials or transfer case yet, I’m assuming I should get those changed as well as that could potentially help eliminate it being in those areas or a result of bad fluids in one of said areas?

It’s weird too, this only started happening after I got my front calipers and rotors replaced and they emptied the system and refilled it. Front brakes work great, rear still need to be replaced bad. I’m wondering if the rear brakes are sticking causing the jerking feeling every so often. It’s not everytime now, it’s very weird.

I appreciate your insight and feedback.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

My first thought when I started reading this post from the beginning was a possible badly worn out and/or way out of adjusted loose brake shoe and then you ended with the same thought. I have installed new shoes in the past and failed badly to adjust the brakes after I put it all back together, which made one or both of the shoes bind up in the drum. When adjusted right, the parking brake should pull up 6 to 8 clicks when fully engaged. If yours pulls up like 12 or so that might be a problem there.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”