02 QX4 replacemet window switch issues

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
TarinasQX4
Car: 2002 QX4 4X4

Just replaced the passenger window switch on my 2002 QX4. After doing so the drivers side window button will not open or close that (passenger) window nor will the new switch lock the doors. However it (the new switch) will roll the window up and down even automatically. Is there some reset to get the switches to work in unison or did I possibly mess something up in unplugging and plugging these two connectors?

Thank you for any and all info.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like you put in a wrong part. If it's the right one then it's probably defective. In systems with Auto on both fronts, the two switches and the BCM have a bit-bang bus for communicating with one another. If that link doesn't work then you get the sort of behavior you're seeing. Did you use the Nissan part number when googling for the part, or shop by MMY?

TarinasQX4

Honestly I did the "oh hey I'm at the local salvage yard I might as well try to get what I can...oh shoot no 2002 qx4's, I'm sure this 2001 pathfinder switch will work since half the other stuff I've got for my Q is from a pathfinder" didn't actually look it up and it looks to be the exact same with neither having markings or part numbers on them of any kind. I will look into this while I'm at work today. Thank you.

TarinasQX4

Well, I tried plugging the old one back in and im getting the same results...I feel like this must be something more electrical like a fuse or relay or something like that.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

What was the original issue?

TarinasQX4

Um...it was faded and the wife wanted one that wasn't as "old" looking...I literally just unplugged the original and plugged in this "cleaner" one from a 2001 pathfinder and thats when the issues started.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I hope you didn't zap something putting a wrong switch in there. The older Pathy switches all look the same but they aren't, you can actually smoke things pretty badly by plugging in a wrong one. Usually it just burns components on the circuit board inside the switch, but I did see one instance years ago where the guy started a fire in his door and destroyed the trim panel.

TarinasQX4

I've got the switch out now and torn apart cleaning it up hoping it might just be a bad connection. Not seeing anything burned on the switch. I will check the drivers side later. Checked all related fuses and fusible links that coincide with this window and door unlock and didn't see anything blown.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If they're both behaving the same way then something has to have gone south in the bit-bang comm line. The switch has its own control of its own window and button, but the door lock and remote window commands have to travel over the bit-bang. Your ride actually has an SEC, prehistoric ancestor of the BCM, but the principle is the same. You can find your wiring diagrams on EL-378 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 2%2FEL.pdf

The Brown wire between the SEC and the two switches is the comm line. You should see something approximating 10~12V on the line with nothing going on, with "blips" of lower voltage when you work the buttons or door lock switches. You should also see a "blip" on the line from the SEC when using the door cylinder to raise and lower the windows. If one of them isn't producing any voltage change then that unit probably has a blown transmitter.

TarinasQX4

Looks like I've got a fun weekend ahead of me, I appreciate the assistance and explanation of what to look for. Fingers crossed this is something I can fix myself.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”