02 Pathfinder Code P1167 and Code P0159

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
murphd02
Car: 2002 Pathfinder

Check engine light just came on. Engine is running fine. About 121,000 miles. Went to a few local auto parts stores and had them read the codes. They said it could be an oxygen sensor ($90) or a fuel injector ($130) or both. They didn't sound too confident to me. Not sure what to do. Should I just take it to a dealer? Any recommendations?

Thanks,Dave

body80

I just had the same exact problem.

Replace your drive side rear O2 sensor. It'll be the O2 with the red cord. Get an exact fit from the auto part store ($90). Take a long flat head screw driver and POP (break) the holders on the old sensor cable off with it. Pull it down and unscrew it from the exhaust. Now drop a string down the back of the engine around the same place the old cable ran down the engine and tie it to the new sensor's plug, pull it up and run it through the same path of the old O2 cable, plug it in, and push in all the new cable holders. Now go back under the truck and twist the sensor counter-clockwise about 3-4 times and screw it into the exhaust. Done.

Mine was stuck at a voltage of .240 and the ECU didn't like it so it spit out the same codes.

slownslurious

My 57k 02 SE is throwing just P1167. I had it erased and it came back on. The previous owner said the service engine soon light came on a while ago and he had a shop replace the right rear 02 sensor and he said he had driven it for quite some time and the light never came back on.

Seems like 1167 is for the driver's side rear (bank 2 sensor 2)?

The sensors are about $90 each so I'm putting off replacing it until I confirm that it is the problem. Is there a way to test those things? From searching the codes and such online, it seems like pathfinder owners are having a lot of trouble with their 02 sensors throwing codes that are difficult to get rid of. someone told me if you take it to a dealer for an "ECU reset" after changing the sensors, that they should stay off. any truth?

my pathfinder still seems to drive well with no problems anywhere, but i just got it and i want that light off for good (and the car running like a swiss watch).

please advise.

gcjazz12
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

What was the solution for these two codes?

Out of the blue today got these two codes simultaneously...

Also if this is from the oxygen sensor that's closest to the rear of the qx4 on the drivers side, that is the one at I have a non fouler on due to catalyst below efficiency threshold ... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

It's probably just the O2 sensor's heater malfunctioning. A new aftermarket Bosch direct-fit sensor is relatively inexpensive; $55 after discount code A124 from Advance Auto Parts if you order online and pick-up in store. I'd replace the sensor.

gcjazz12

Thanks TownCivilian. I replaced the O2 sensor today and drove up and down the highway a few times keeping MPH above 48 for more than 2 minutes. The P0159 and pending p1167 disappeared. The P1167 is still there... Should I reset or will it go away on it own?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Wait a few more drive cycles, it may clear on its own. If it doesn't, try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few moments to clear the ECU's memory. If it reappears after that, there's still a problem and we'll have to do some more diagnosis procedures.

gcjazz12

I couldn't take looking at CEL on Sunday so I reset it with the OBD II reader. I've probably gone 100-150 miles since w some highway driving and no code or pending codes coming up on scan. It looks like we got it on the first try. Now I'm back to life again without the CEL. Thanks again TownCivilian!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”