2002 3.5 need advice cats and exh manifolds removal

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RastB
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

Well my codes came back so am going to install the new cats. I got shields off on right side, but the upper (6?) bolts are being stubborn, broke one and one is rounded off. So with that, seems I'm committed to removing (at least) the right ex manifold? What about that x-over pipe? I thought that required trans removal to remove it, does that pipe need to be removed completely to get the manifold out? Would it be a better idea to deal with the broken bolts on the manifold while it's still in place? Something like drill them out and use pass through bolts? Thanks.

RastB

20230115_222931.jpg
Sorry should have done more research before asking. Anyway i get it, easy- less than 30 days ill have it finished 🙄

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

Remove the exhaust manifold with the cat, and unbolt the cat at the three bolts that meet the exhaust. Have a muffler shop remove the manifold or buy a used one. You'll need to remove the coolant tubes at the right side of the engine bay to get the manifold/cat out.

RastB

rgk wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:30 am
Remove the exhaust manifold with the cat, and unbolt the cat at the three bolts that meet the exhaust. Have a muffler shop remove the manifold or buy a used one. You'll need to remove the coolant tubes at the right side of the engine bay to get the manifold/cat out.
Thanks and sorry for late reply. All went semi smoothly, cut my down pipes and the pass side man/cat seemed to most easily drop out from the bottom, drivers side was easy either way. Got great deals by lots of searching for cats, Walker CA certified (felt they were more likely to last) direct fit for 250$? and 350$ from Rock Auto and one from Amazon, should have been 800-1000$ each. Worked out fine no more codes, but then had to replace my water control valve, good excuse to do tons of neglected things at the same time. Now for some things that are more fun, OME springs/shocks/struts on the way.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”