02 Maxima; still sputtering ???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
JennyMax02
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE , 6 speed

Greetings Forum Gurus,

Have been ill since my last post, thanks to all those for your help.

Cleaned T/B & MAF , then preformed relearn. When I started ; a Head gasket code popped up. Checked again; Then used Blue Devil Permenant sealant. Completed , installed new thermostat, refilled & vehicle set while I recovered. Charged battery & started yesterday; and still have a yellow light.

NOW 3 new codes ??? ( Still popping under load as it warms , no power, & not driveable ).

NEW CODES ARE : POO11 : IVT Bank 1 failure , PO021 : IVT Bank 2 failure, PO300 : Random cylinder misfire.

Any idea what combination of codes means ; (after repairs performed above). Where should I start ??
HELP PLEASE !!!!

Best regards,
JennyMax02

macgiver

mac , what was the exact Head gasket code number you said you got ?

JennyMax02

Sorry , don't know lost that info due to illness.

No oil in water, No overheating, Bubbles observed in overflow tank (exhaust) ?

macgiver

mac , I have a vehicle now needing head gasket showed bubble in overflow , coolant got into oil , NO oil got to coolant. The order of what LIKELY gets into what is exh. bubbles to overflow (highest pressures) , then coolant into oil (med. pressure + easy opportunity) LASTLY oil into coolant (med. pressure BUT less opportunistic passage generally) . I feel bad to say in my opinion - gotta tear down for a head gasket job/post mortem ( say you just added a can of liquid chemical sealer right?) If say a head or block is cracked you don't want to spend a lot chasing a real tough mystery , although I can appreciate if you HOPE to find a SIMPLE FIX to running problem - NOW get the greenlight for the"Headjob" ?? I get that strategy too ,I hope the best for you and getting over your illness , respect G.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

There is no such thing as a head gasket code.

A simple pressure leak can cause constant boiling in the coolant system to act like an exhaust leak.

Compression test to find any head gasket leak. If so you yank the head at a minimum to fix it.

The product used there is garbage, I used to sell it. There is no such thing as well as a fix in a bottle that can fix all head gasket leaks.

The 11 and 31 codes are for camshaft timing being off.

JennyMax02

Greetings Mac, AMC49, & Guru's,
Don't give up on her yet , please ! This is a real challenge / learning experience !!! Let me explain. Light still on , got help from a local / mobile guy , not a shop. (Head gasket was determined by local shade tree mechanic, may have been a scam). He is in the abyss now !

I changed oil & filter. (All normal; no water). Changed thermostat & anti-freeze (All normal; no oil) . Replaced Bank 2 (front) 3- plugs & 3- Ign. coils. Cleared codes. Restarted & drove ; flickering light then on steady again . Code P0300 random misfire. ?? Cleared code & drove again ; still puttering & now NO light ??? Argh ? Next step ??? Replace rear plugs & coils; or Intake valve timing control performance bank 2 ??? I am $$ challenged , but I can replace exterior parts , so have to exhaust all options ; prior to DEALER / Shop. HELP PLS !!
Best regards
JennyMax02

macgiver

mac ,OK Let's find out how many miles in this 2002 ? First post has I believe IVT Bank 1&2 "situation".Runs sputtering.I won'tpretend to be familiar with this engine , so I will try to focus an area , for I believe your "shotgun approach" is not fruitful,as you also say $$ an issue ,as it is for lots of us. Maybe "situation" with valve timing , T-chain ,guides,crank to cam "error" affecting as "sputtering". a clue , IF IT IS SAFE to do with your engine (my VG30DE can unplug cam solenoid to diagnose "things" ) Try to unplug the "IVT" solenoids , after a "code clearing",and note sputtering , codes , and even take to road for very brief "running assessment". I hate to suggest something on a motor I don't own and I'm leaving other EXPERTS such as amc , or like EdBwoy who seem to have vast knowledge if disabling IVT's in order to diagnose ANYTHING is appropriate , wise, or most important detrimental to your motor -which I believe you should post your eng. designation here for those who may be able to better help you.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

What exactly happened to make people go to a head gasket as the problem? Did car overheat?

Need to inspect old plugs coming out for evidence as to which may be misfiring.

The cam sensors will show codes if the electrical to them is faulty. Check the harnesses.

JennyMax02

Greetings Mac,

THE STORY, from the beginning.

Lost power & stalled on highway exit ramp. Pushed off; temp gauge W/O engine rotation during push off spiked above 200. Let cool , checked fluids; & for leaks . Started & drove home sputtering & W/O yellow fault code.. (141 K on well maintained 2002 6 spd).

Confused no light / codes ; I checked basics: fuel, air, & spark. Now what ???

1st Post. ^^ Cleaned MAF & TB. Light out. Post & go to sleep.

Next day light flickering. Called neighborhood mobile mechanic.

Add ABM posted repairs & :

TODAY I THINK I FOUND THE CULPRIT: THE Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve / Solenoid is broken ? It does NOT have OUT vacuum; during any cycle: turn on, start up , run , accelerate, or turn off. Ordered an new one; let U know ASAP !!

Best regards,
JennyMax02

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”