01 QX4/Pathfinder mishap...how screwed am I

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
PokeyGST
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4(just purchased)
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Mildly Modded(gets a break from dd now)

So mind somewhere else plus a bit of distraction plus very poor judgement of height to ground clearance and voila this is the result...

PokeyGST

Nothing else appears damaged other than possibly the steering rack....someone please tell me it's like a subframe or something that is just a huge pain in the arse to replace....

Hawairish
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

Steering rack is probably fine, alignment might be a off with the LCAs drawn in a tiny amount now. The crossmember is part of the subframe...provides attachment points to steering, engine, front differential, and suspension. It'll be a pain to replace, but really just a lot of wrenchwork. An engine support beam from Harbor Freight will help a lot here.

PokeyGST

That's what I was hoping for...so basically unbolt everything that's attached to it and get one from a salvage yard then? Looks like I'll be plenty busy for a week or so...thanks for the info

Hawairish

Pretty much. You'll need to pull the diff down for better access to the nuts on the motor mounts, but many other components can stay attached to the subframe before pulling it down.
Some things will be easier to transfer to the new subframe when both are on the ground and you're not working under the truck. Much of the suspension can stay attached; mainly just need to disconnect the LCAs, tie-rod, and sway bar end links. Steering lines will need to be disconnected, but the rack can stay attached.

Now's also the best time to inspect and replace the motor mounts and steering rack bushings.

Hawairish

...that all said...unless it's affecting driveability or otherwise poses a safety risk, you've got time to plan this work out. If you go to the junkyard, you'll probably see firsthand what work is required (and getting things down without a jack or engine hoist will probably make this effort difficult or dangerous). A buddy of mine needed his subframe replaced and had a shop do the work using a replacement from eBay.

PokeyGST

There is some weird steering thing goin on...like right around center(wheels straight ahead, its like a high point and wants to fall off to one side or the other...if that makes sense. Maybe it's just the weird angle the rack is at now? It still tries to center out of a turn like it should, just when it gets there its not happy about it

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Sounds like toe in is off. If it has toe out it will tend to wander and or be darty.

PokeyGST

So if I get it adjusted I could very well not have to rush and do the swap in the next few days...?

Hawairish

Seems expected. The impact will have drawn the front LCA mounts closer together, which will create toe-out at the wheels. When straight, the truck will try to point one of them straight, but it'll probably act squirrely at times. It's surely alignable to some degree, but an alignment shop probably won't touch it because of the damage, which will probably prevent it from being within spec anyway. If the toe is visibly off, you can adjust the TREs and align it by eyeball.

PokeyGST

Cool, I'll have a look at it shortly ... As for the rest of it, guess it's time for another trip to the salvage yard to see what they have. Fortunately I have an engine hoist, and experience with pulling a subframe(granted it was several years ago on my Talon) but the same general idea...

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

PokeyGST wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 am
So if I get it adjusted I could very well not have to rush and do the swap in the next few days...?
Yes. You can either take it somewhere or DIY in a variety of ways. Easiest and good enough would probably be by wrapping a string around the perimeter of all 4 tires. Then adjust to parallel with the string or slightly towed in. From what I can see from here it doesn't look like a rush job.

PokeyGST

So got the replacement subframe installed, wasn't too bad honestly...as was mentioned it's just a massive amount of wrench time. I searched the FSM as best I could but can't find the torque specs for the subframe mounting bolts/nuts. Anyone know offhand or can direct me to the correct section of the manual?
I'll post pics of the damage after I get it back together, it's crazy how bad it looks off the vehicle.

Thanks for the help, definitely a good bunch here!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”