01 Pathy Clock Swap with QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
realitybytes
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder XE AWD

Hi, first time on the forum and first post. Hope you can help me out.

My 01 Pathfinder clock quit so I decided to do a QX4 analog clock swap. After spending a heck of long time prying out the vent (instructions I found were helpful but for some reason mine was hard to get at), I plugged the QX4 clock in to test. It worked, and I was excited. I set the time right away and even tested the illumination with headlights on -- everything was good.

However, I took it for a drive and noticed that the clock won't run, nor would it allow me to set the time. I thought it died or something, but as soon as I turned the ignition off, it worked again. Is there something to do with the wiring with the Pathfinder? I mean is the pinout different than the QX4?

On the back of the QX4 clock, it shows + - and then + - with something that looks like an "L" above them. What does that mean?

Help!

razzlerdazzle08
Car: 01 Pathfinder LE

Probly different pin connections. I dont understand it because the pathfinder clock dose not need power because it dose not illuminate when switch is turned off. But the Infiniti clock dose when the switch is off to keep time and it dosent work when the switch is on hence it needs power all the time. But it only works when the switch is off. Dosent make much sence to me but I would check pin connections first that would be the best bet. Also check to where the wire for the clock connects to.

realitybytes

Thanks for the quick reply razzlerdazzle08. Well, even though there is no illumination when the car is off you will still need to give the Pathfinder's digital clock some power to retain its clock memory.

Hopefully someone who did the same swap would shed some light on this.

Much appreciated!

cantosmith
Car: pathfinder

Did you ever get the clock fixed. I am doing the same exchange and have the same problem. Clock works fine till you turn the key.I'm thinking now that the old clock probably worked as well, just once you turn the key there is no power to light it up. It must be a fuse or loose wire back to the key. It has constant power so the clock works but once you switch over the power is lost. It's driving me crazy.

Let me know if you got it working

realitybytes

Hi, yes I did.

The circuits required between the two clocks are different. On the Pathfinder clock, you have the Power / Accessory / Illumination / Ground. The idea is that you do not want the clock to be on at all times, so by setting an accessory circuit, it turns on when the Pathy is turned to that mode.

With the QX4 on the other hand, being that it's an analog clock, you want that to be running ALL the time. So the leads are Clock Power / Clock Ground / Illumination Power / Illumination Ground.

So what I did was I yanked the Accessory lead (since we don't need that), and spliced the Ground lead and applied it to the "-" and "-" with the L above it -- in this case, "L" meant "light".

Let me know if that works out for you.

cantosmith
Car: pathfinder

worked like a charm

thanks

Landin.Comins
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Good day,

I was about to do this myself. So glad I ran across your post and thankyou for taking the time.

Are these wired diff colors? How will I know which ones to splice and which one not to use?

Thank-you!

Rimouski2
Car: Pathfinder Chilkoot 2003 Manual

Thank you for your solution "realitybytes" it worked very well.
To answer "Landin.Comins", you cut the "Accessory" wire: color "Green/white" (as told by "realitybytes" you don't need it) Now you split (make a Y) with your "Black" wire to this wire above, because you need Ground for the clock all the time. That's it !

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I would love to put a newer QX4 clock into my 98 QX4 without a clock. How hard would that be?

$$$
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hi guys jus recently found a qx4 clock for my pathy can someone confirm.....Let me get this straight as im quite slow lol, u split the black wire to green/white? Am i correct, is that what u mean Rimouski? ("To this wire above") Thx u
Rimouski2 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:04 am
Thank you for your solution "realitybytes" it worked very well.
To answer "Landin.Comins", you cut the "Accessory" wire: color "Green/white" (as told by "realitybytes" you don't need it) Now you split (make a Y) with your "Black" wire to this wire above, because you need Ground for the clock all the time. That's it !

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”