'01 Pathfinder Clunk in Front

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
pathycostarica
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 4wd LE 3.5

Hoping someone has the magic answer.
2001 Pathfinder. 85k miles but last 20k on rough dirt roads. Has heavy clunking sound from up front, sounds like both sides when going over dirt roads. Even at 3 mph on a washboard dirt road the clunk is there. No problem on smooth pavement. Most of my driving is rough dirt roads here in Costa Rica. No clunking when turning the wheel although there is the smallest play in the rack, like less than 1/16".
Just put in new Poly control arm bushings, new stabilizer link connecting rods. I checked stabilizer bushings and they are soft and look like new. Ball joints tight.
When I rock the car like crazy, jump up and down on running boards, front bumper, back bumper I cant make it clunk. Jack it up and yank on the wheel there is no play or clunk. But I drive 5 feet over rocky road and it clunks like crazy.
So please give me any thoughts at all. I have read I think all of the threads on this and I saw some changed the struts and top mounts and it fixed it. I would do that even now just to try but to get good parts I have to get someone to bring them in a suitcase from the USA and its a huge ordeal, just to find out it wasn't that.
Any ideas on how to know or check it is the struts or top mounts??
Any ideas at all I am so open to.
Thank you

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

Did you replace the front inner control arm bush with poly? Usually, if it's this bad, you can see the rubber torn up around the top nut of the strut, and move it around with a wrench.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

worn ball joints are known to clunk when going over bumps

pathycostarica

Hi AlanAz,
I am not sure what you mean by "front inner" control arm bushing? there are 2 bushings on each front arm forward and rear, both changed. And the stabilizer links changed with a standard no name brand(all I could get).

when you say:
" Usually, if it's this bad, you can see the rubber torn up around the top nut of the strut, and move it around with a wrench.
Top"
do you mean the top strut mount? I can check from under the hood? pop off the little cap and I'll see top bearing torn up?
Thank you

pathycostarica

04pathse wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 pm
worn ball joints are known to clunk when going over bumps
the ball joints really seem tight and fine with no play.
thanks

pathycostarica

The rubber inside the the strut mount looks like new, smooth and soft.
Thanks for the suggestions, just cant figure out how to troubleshoot the source of the clunk. I think I am going to ride sitting on the motor with the hood leaning on me as someone drives over the bumps.
I am so so open to any ideas at all if anyone has one.

Rockwood
Car: 2002 QX4

Since it is a "heavy" clunk, take a look at the front diff mounts. They have bushings in them and sometimes the bushings fail. Pics and part numbers here:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... nting.html

54730 and 54710M. Thats all I can think of given all the things you have checked.

pathycostarica

Thanks Rockwood
I will get under it and see if I can see any issues in diff mounts. may even just pull one off to be sure.
I havent read anywhere whether the strut mounts can be completely visually confirmed good. I ealize if they are all chewed up they are bad but can a good looking one that doesnt clunk when rocking the car turn out to be bad??

pathycostarica

I just crawled under there and for sure at least one of the front diff mount bushing is bad. Just quickly I was able to push up on the diff and the bushing had play in it. I could even feel the rubber seemed torn up.
Can this bushing be replaced and would it be a common size an auto parts may have? I am in the jungle of Costa Rica and if is dealer only thats ok but I will have to have someone bring it from the USA.
So please advise,
I am happy to find this blown and hope its the culprit of the clunk.
You think it would clunk even without using the 4wd?
Great call Rockwood !!!!

Rockwood
Car: 2002 QX4

I did not think those bushings were available separately, but I checked Ebay and they are available as Nissan part number 54730-0W002. See this listing on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arm-Bushing-Di ... :rk:2:pf:0

Those bushings have an elastomeric material bonded to the metal, which pulls off the metal when they fail. Since your front end is clunking, you will need to check all four. The only way to really check them is to pull the diff mounting bracket off and look at it to see how bad it is. But I would guess you need to replace all four.

Go to febestparts.com - they are the manufacturer of the part and their part number is FEBEST NAB-332. Looks like they may ship direct to you.

pathycostarica

thank you Rockwood,
I stumbled on the Febest also.
I am going to try and find them here by part # before I pull it apart.
Shipping to here is a nightmare with tariffs and delays and never arrive that always make an issue, but I will look into it if I have to. I may just be better waiting for factory bracket and install will just be better.
AZhitman suggested poly urethane bushings might be available but I couldnt find them listed anywhere online for the front diff.
Thanks again for your help and invaluable troubleshoot from 3,000 miles away.

pathycostarica

I ordered the oem brackets and will have them in 2 weeks and let you know how i made out
Thanks again to all

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”