00' X-Terra: Pull the Intake Manifold off to get to Plug #6???

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
srdrifter
Car: 1996 240sx se

I have a 2000 X-Terra V6 4x4. This has really been pissing me off. I can do a frickin motor swap on a 240 but can't change out spark plugs!?! Obviously exaggerating, but do i need to pull the intake manifold off to get to the #6 plug that sits up against the Firewall? The Chilton's book is useless and this Q has never been asked here. Anyone have the answer?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

In the nissan FSM it doesnt say you have to remove the intake manifold..... I doubt they would have you remove the intake manifold for that anyway.

I looked around in the FSM and I cant really find anything to help, sorry.. I would try using a swivel head socket.. ALSO if you get me a picture of the area i could probably make some sort of recommendaiton.

rbuck282
Car: 2001 Xterra

I basically had to put two 6" extensions together ( I would tape them together to prevent separation !), along with a u-joint. Make sure the spark plug socket will hold on the plug firmly! Once you start nosing the socket towards the plug it almost guides right in. A little tricky, but it can be done.

srdrifter

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try!

NISTECH

starting from the plug and working to the rachet.I use a swivel sparkplug socket attached to a 6 inch extension attached to a universal attacher to a 3 inch extention attached to a rachet. When getting on the plug I have the 6 in extension attached to the swivel socket. once set on the plug I attach the universal to the 6 in extension. As said above when lining up with the socket it almost falls on the plug.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Nope. There is a great write-up at http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/plugs/plug.asp

srdrifter

That's an awesome write up. it's got pics and everything. This link should be posted somewhere in the Technical forums! Thanks a lot for the help

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Those back 2 plugs have got to be the most ignorant things on the 3.0 and 3.3 series engines. One thing which can be a common problem with the Left Bank spark plugs, is the area around the spark plug nut can fill with dust, silt. The heat from the engine will of course bake it rock hard preventing you from getting a spark plug socket on the plug at all. I found that a jet of water from a garden hose aimed at the areas will rinse that crust out allowing you to get in there. Of course you should blow it out with compressed air as well.

By doing this it also has the added benefit of preventing that crud from falling into the threads which could cause you to gall threads or worse cross thread the new spark plug.

That would bite having to pull the plennum and the Head just to fix it.

srdrifter

Thanks for the heads up on the gunk. I'll be sure to do that just in case. Anybody that has a chance check out XterraVerse's link to the pics - those are sweet!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”