rb20det Silvert build thread.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
glitched
Car: 1992 240sx se

Well the RB20det, silvia front, door swap, and paint are already done, so whats left?I'll just post some teaser shots of all of the recently acquired parts, Post if you want to see the build thread continue, i guess.

I'm working to get it ready for the first lapping day at BlackHawk Farms memorial day weekend.

Wheels

Roll bar

Halman Boost controller

Fender rolling

unique (???) Brake swap

RUCAs

Real CF grille

OMP 330 90mm deep dish suede race wheel

Aluminum driveshaft

Coilovers

Braille racing battery

seats

And a few more projects like seatbelt relocation, custom short shifter & non-nissan shift knob, sound deadening removal, replace leaky BOV, install catchcan, alignment, etc, and yes it i will also be corner weighing it.

Lots to do in only a matter of weeks.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Nice collection of parts you've got there! And you're the one with Eikon's vert aren't you?

Isthis going on that or the hatch in your sig? Be sure to keep us updated!

S13xCrazy
Car: 1993 240sx Vert, 1993 BMW 325i, 1993 Honda CBR F2, 1998 Infiniti Q45,

FINALLY.

About damn time this showed up, I was waiting for it.

glitched

Yeah, this is all for the convertible, eikon's old car.

The hatch should hopefully be sold this weekend.

Some more information:Will also be putting in new carpet and door panels.got to get the super blue racing fluid flushed in there, gah, i keep thinking of things i need to do before it's race ready!

BTW, quite a bit of modifications are required to get the wheels and tires to fit.

225/50 potenza re-11, bridgestone's incredible new autocross tires, on 16x8 0 offset wheels all around.

Some will probably call me a fool for ordering name brand wheels that I know wouldnt fit without a lot of work, especially when there are knockoffs to be had that will fit better and be cheaper. The wheels are brand new genuine light weight aluminum RS Watanabe (I'm a watanabe fanboy ) The knockoffs cant touch the lightness of these wheels.

But the stock s13 brakes dont fit with these wheels! I'll have pics and a write up on how i worked this issue out, as well as the rubbing issues when i get it all finished.

I will be re-wiring the battery trunk re-location for a cleaner and safer install (fuse and circuit breaker)

Will be doing a mini write up on my seatbelt relocation (the vert guys will understand)

glitched

Oh, I've posted this before, but might as well get it in here:

here is the base line corner weighing readouts before i did anything at all.

glitched

Alright lots of progress today.

Thanks to a local forum member who I borrowed the heat gun and fender roller and this NICO walkthrough;zerothread/206183 the fender's are now rolled and slightly pulled.

So now, what do i mean by the wheels not fitting with stock s13 brakes?well take a look here:

the brakes clear teh spokes no problem, but notice how large the diameter is of the center disk?

The mount bracket interferes with this wide disk.

This was temporarily solved with a 5mm spacer

Here you can see where the spacer sits on the wheel to get another idea of how wide the disk is, and some slight scratches at the edge of the spkes where the caliper bracket hit when test fitting the wheels without spacers.

well lets put the spacers back on, get the wheels and tires mounted and see how it sits for now.

Not bad in the back, fronts are still need lots of work, including getting the spacers out of there, and getting the camber and suspension settings set:

glitched

So, instead of giving up on the wheels/tire combo, I decide to move forward with Nissan's parts bin to try and "resolve" the brake issue.

Let's try a mounting bracket from a Maxima thanks to Napa:

Well this bracket moves away from the center of hte wheel far enough to clear the center wheel disk, however, with no spacer, the bracket hits the spokes now. ordered a 3mm spacer to see if that will be enough and it is, well 3mm is better than 5mm...

But i really dont want to use ANY spacer.

Next up are bracket/caliper combo from a 2003 sentra SE-R.

The bracket is the same dimensions, but it's actually a little bit thinner!well, it may just be the manufacturer, not sure, but no more spacers needed!

First maxima bracket at 90.90mm wide from mounting point:

Now Sentra bracket at 88.8mm wide from mounting point

Thats enough to clear the spokes.

So after the wait for the sentra brembo slotted rotors and hawk racing pads to come in: Sentra rotors and pads make a nice upgrade compared to s13 rotors and pads.

And tonight, everything finished installed!

and also got the brake fluid flushed tonight as well. (note nipple on driverside rear caliper is broken, just leaks out the threads.)

You'll also notice the hallman boost controller there in that pic. super easy to install. mostly got it for the response and better control of stock level boost side benefits for now.

Car has been sitting without a driveshaft for days now, and i also got the aluminum one installed tonight. however, i used an older crappier camera while i was under the car, cant seem to find the cable to unload those yet.

Next i'm waiting to receive replacement bottom mounts for my front coilovers. I had drilled out the holes to accept the thicker s14 spindles/bolts from the 5lug conversion on the hatch, and now i need the default mounts... waiting for those to ship.

rob912
Car: 91 240 rb20

gonna be nice when its done good luck

s13beast
Car: 94 5-speed silvert s14 sr, 91 hatchback dd.

nice silvert. Yours is way cleaner than mine jeez good luck

ZX88
Car: s13

i actually like it alot. where did you order those wheels from?

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Wow.. Clearly the car is in very good hands! Nice work!

It looks badass with those wheels on it.

crap.. I just realized I need a new avatar. lol

the vert
Car: 93 240sx vert

ok so are those calipers 300zx? cause im a little confused on the brake swap you did. Looks really clean.

glitched

the vert wrote:ok so are those calipers 300zx? cause im a little confused on the brake swap you did. Looks really clean.

they're 4 lug so not 300zx

its a sentra swap. rotors, & calipers

basically when i ordered all the parts new, i just entered in that I had a 2003 sentra 2.5l (not spec V) and all the parts bolted right on.

PHeller
Car: 1998 Ford ZX2 (wrecked) now 1989 Coupe

the whole way around or just the fronts?

Looking at different rear brake options.

Whats this setup for? Auto-X? Solo? I can't tell, but it looks like that red hatch is doing one of those two types of racing.

PHeller

Sentra rear brakes on an S13?

glitched

PHeller wrote:Sentra rear brakes on an S13?
Not sure on the rear brakes actually.

PHeller

the fronts just bolted right up as long as you used the Sentra rotor, correct?

240pav
Car: 1991 240sx sr20det redtop

BY GOD ! That is the sexiest vert ive ever seen. awesome fender job. I love it.

glitched

So it's about time for a post-memorial day weekend update.

I had been rushing around getting things ready for the car's first track day event memorial day weekend.

Sadly the track day did not go well:zerothread?id=427458

Since last time I got the following installedBraille battery and redo of wiringNew carpetcoiloversRUCAsrollbar & padding5 point simpson harnesssteering wheel inshift knob (but needs to be redone)

I mounted the braille battery right next to the top pump so it would be close to the fuse and out of the way for race day supplies that need to go in trunk (gazebo )

Turns out i dont really like this location because it's hard to get to, so I'm gonna move it.

And because the previous battery relocation didnt have a fuse or circuit breaker, I redid the wiring with Both

It looks kinda ghetto with all the elctrical tape, but tech inspection likes it all to be covered, so i just went crazy with the electrical tape.

Some new carpet and rollbar install pics:

for the shift knob, i wanted the same setup that the previous owner did to my hatch.

it's a classic hurst white ball shifter. so of course it doesnt come in the correct size.So what you do is go to the hardware store and find a bolt that does fit it.take your shifter out. cut off the top and weld the bolt on.

So i got this done at the same time as the roll bar, but I need to cut off some more and re-weld it back on to make it as short as my last car. it feels really good that way.

First, heres a couple pics from the hatch to get an idea how it's done:

and you can see the simpson harness and OMP 90mm deep dish 330mm suede steering wheel. I love this thing!

I recieved the replacment front bottom mounts for the coilovers at the very last minute last week on Thursday. So i was able to get the coils and RUCAS installed that night (up till 2am) Didnt get any pictures of the install because of the rush but heres a pic of the replacment mount on the left the mount i drilled out for the s14 spindles and the new ones on the right. Anybody want to buy the old ones?

good news. Car weighs less now with rollbar and full tank of gas than when i first got it and half tank of gas! (still havent taken the time to actually do the corner weighing adjustments and even the spec alignment)

And now i've got a nice tuck in the rear with the coils, RUCA's, fender roll and slight pull. (again wheels are 16x8 0 offset with 225 tires) It actually even tucks better now after everything has settled. But i still need to go get a spec alignment, my shop couldnt get me in before the race since it was such short notice

and some pics that you've probably been waiting for:

Modified by glitched at 11:18 PM 5/28/2009

s13beast

top still close?

glitched

s13beast wrote:top still close?
Yup. although it's a tight fit with the padding on there, it still closes just fine.

s13beast

Awesome. Im trying to get my cousin to put a cage in mine.

glitched

ZX88 wrote:i actually like it alot. where did you order those wheels from?
Takumi project is a US importer/reseller of RS-Watanabe Wheels.

glitched

PHeller wrote:the whole way around or just the fronts?

Looking at different rear brake options.

Whats this setup for? Auto-X? Solo? I can't tell, but it looks like that red hatch is doing one of those two types of racing.
It's setup for fun, auto-x and time attack. I'm not following any scca auto-x rulebook for a particular class or anything like that, well except for the safety equipment for open top cars.

Midwest council is more common around here than scca, and they use a different ruleset that allows me to do different kinds of things. teh only events i go to that follow scca classing rules is WAI events, and basically i just go in Rear wheel drive street tire class on index.

the red hatch in my sig is a pic from a lapping day at Black Hawk Farms road course in Beloit IL. from memorial day weekend 2008. That's where i was at this weekend with the convertible and had issues and got towed off the track.

glitched

PHeller wrote:the fronts just bolted right up as long as you used the Sentra rotor, correct?
Yup the fronts bolted right up with the sentra rotor. however if you are going to do this, be warned that when it is bolted up, it moves the caliper and pads further away from the center by a couple milimeters, which for my case was what i needed to fit the wheels.

glitched

s13beast wrote:Awesome. Im trying to get my cousin to put a cage in mine.
Mine is the pre-fab from FRSport.com

zerothread?id=219029

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Those meaty tires give it a badass look.

Looks good.

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

nice vert

SR24DET
Car: RMS13

Very nice car. Cool to see a project like this soo close to me. Are you part of ClubFR?

glitched

SR24DET wrote:Very nice car. Cool to see a project like this soo close to me. Are you part of ClubFR?
nope. Not a drifter.

Midwest council, WAI, Madison Sports car club & Autocross, and madison street cars are local organizations/sites i mostly associate with.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”