EMANCE/Jason review NEGATIVE!!! *Partial*

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

Cliff notes: I got a effed up tune FOUR times from JASON, then another tuner got it right FIRST shot.
kouki_hmongster wrote:Our advice to all nico members should be " if you want a reliable tune then go full standalone and get it dyno tune, PERIOD."
E-Mance Fuel Map for my T3/T4/N62/550cc injectors

E-Mance Timing map

I bought an emance tune for my ka-t setup back in Feb, and since then I have been trying to get my car running right,

Jason helped somewhat by offering new chips to FIX the 9-10:1 AFR's my car had. 4 revisions and NO improvment.

I switched from blow-thru to suck thru maf, top feed low imp injectors to sidefeed high imp- nothing helped the car at all. Jason recommended the injector changes AFTER telling me he could tune them, WTF?!

Almost 8 months of downtime or trying and testing as many things as I could, I eventually sought out a local tuner.

First tune- BAM, my new tuner cracks out 15:1 AFR's same type rom tune for MY setup.

I also have access to Jason's maps, which when I looked at, even the untrained eye could see that it was a very unstable map, no smooth transitions to timing of fuel... I will not post up the maps though unless approved by a mod.

I sent Jason an email asking for a refund, I was not happy with his tune and after going thru 16 spark plugs (all fouled totally black), 2 synthetic oil changes (SEVERE fuel dillution), and months and months of downtime, I thought it was the least he could do was refund me the measly 125 for a crap tune. Of course I even said I'd pay to ship his crap back to him.

He responded arguing that I had no proof of a crap tune, that he looked at it and it was fine...

I showed him a logworks log showing the stupid richness and he still argued saying
Jason wrote:
How is the map disappointing? That map produces 270whp at 10psi how is that disappointing? I also have the dyno charts to back that up. I am looking at your tune right now and I call this BS. Go ahead and do a review or whatever you’d like to do it just really aggravates me when someone tells me my tune is ‘unsatisfactory’ without backing that claim up. Who was your tuner? I’d love to talk to them.

email #2What did your tuner change on your tune then? Did it have something to do with the fuel injector trim? Because that has nothing to do with the maps you came telling me my timing and fuel maps were unsatisfactory which is not true.
He seriously asked how the car was tuned to run better.... WTF?!?!?!?!?!

He hasn't responed since, and af far as I know, I'm out of money and alot of time.

Live and learn...

I just hope I can save a few from all the headaches, go with a real tuner who actually tunes.

I assume Jason has a few good tunes he "copied" from someone and they work well, however if you can't change idle AFR in 4 tries, then another tuner gets it perfect first try, then somethings wrong.

I gave it my best to have his tune work, I really did. Even asking for my refund I was polite and still respected his work and thought, "maybe my setup just wasn't for him"

My setup:Stock 93 KA24DET3/T4 50 trim on a JGS mnaiTial 38mm WG at 11 psi2.5" to 3" downpipe (open exhaust)Deatschwerks 550cc injectorsZ32 MAF suck thruEvo9 BOV (recirc'd)Ebay big FMICNGK 7 plugsMK1 FPR @ 43psiWalbro 255

All in all I am very dissapointed in his work.I tried it because 1 person I knew had good results, and I should've just gone with someone tried and true from the get go. Lesson Learned.

Sorry for the super long read, and if a mod closes this thread please email @ [email protected] so we can speak.

Thanks for reading.

Modified by GTR PrYdE at 11:30 PM 10/21/2008

Modified by GTR PrYdE at 5:58 PM 10/26/2008
Modified by GTR PrYdE at 5:58 PM 10/26/2008

Brandon93240
Car: 1993 240sx

I live in spring, is the shop you used around houston or south off? Just curious good tuners come in handy.

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Wow 8 months? Dude..

That, and the fact he said he would give you a refund and didnt is pretty awful. Did he get you for a working Ka ecu too? Or did you just send the board/chips to him.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

What did the new tuner do? new board? possibility of loose connection? don't know how jason makes his chips/boards

sunnys14
Car: S14

Ofcourse getting a mail order tune is going to be different from a dyno tune which IS what you got instead right?

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

sunnys14 wrote:Ofcourse getting a mail order tune is going to be different from a dyno tune which IS what you got instead right?
I did not get a dyno tune, I got a new daughterboard/tune, and so far it's been installed and the AFR's have been verified via Innovate LM-1.
Florida240sx wrote:What did the new tuner do? new board? possibility of loose connection? don't know how jason makes his chips/boards
New tuner had new board/chips. I had a spare ecu I gave to him as a core, and he supplied a ready/chipped ecu. I checked ecu connection several times and reinstalled the same ecu several times, no change at all.
480sx wrote:Wow 8 months? Dude.. That, and the fact he said he would give you a refund and didnt is pretty awful. Did he get you for a working Ka ecu too? Or did you just send the board/chips to him.
HAHA funny you mentioned that, I forgot to add- When my tune didn't work the first time, he said, "send me your ecu, I'll diagnose it for $40+ship but send me ANOTHER ecu incase yours is messed up. (I had already had my stock ecu chipped locally with his parts). Sure enough, my ecu "was bad" and he swapped it into the spare ecu, and ended up keeping my original ecu. I asked him to ship it back to me afterwards, but only got the run-around.
Brandon93240 wrote: I live in spring, is the shop you used around houston or south off? Just curious good tuners come in handy.
http://www.Q-Garage.com, I've yet to see a complaint in the 3 years i've known about him.

kouki_hmongster
Car: Want 97 kouki

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37080

You're not the only one, so many people have been Fucccckedd by this guy. honestly "you get what you pay for" .

Never cheap out on the tune, i notice that most of the new ka-t are going cheap on tune and blowing engines like crazy, this is a good example!

Jason need to explain everything on the forum instead of hiding.

Enthalpy and JWT are the ones that will gaurantee good reliable tune, because everyone that have them are still running the same tune.

shimizu_17

My friend got a emance tune and the air/fuel was pretty off. Cruising and WOT was lean. Also emance's customer service sucked. My friend had a very hard time getting a hold of him for retunes and all his tunes were no good.

cruising and idle were 18WOT - anywhere from 13-15

DevilMB3017

I'm not defending Emance by any means, but I will say that someone that cheaps out on a tune probably cheaped out somewhere else as well. This isn't the OPs case so I suppose it is more Jason's fault then anything.

There is a reason why JWT and Enthalpy tunes are so much more money...

And you can't really beat getting a car dyno tuned locally. I'm currently using an Enthalpy ECU but once my car runs well for a while I'm probably either going to switch to a ROM tune on a dyno or possibly a stand alone.

mistamacadamian
Car: s13

thats funny, well my 1st 240 ran fine on his ecu....ran hard as hell noproblems

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

My first tune from him ran flawless. Ran mid 12's in the quarter with a GT28RS.

Then I figured I would upgrade my turbo and get a new tune...... bad idea.

He's sent two tunes. One via e-mail because I have a burner now, and burned it myself.Both tunes were poo. The car ran better with the very first tune, with 110 octane, with the bigger turbo.

I'm wrapping a few things up on the car due to swapping BOV's and changing I/C piping. But as soon as that's done, I'm looking to get another one out of him.

This fiasco, just as others have mentioned, has forced me to learn myself how to do this stuff. I have a chip programmer, the software, consult cable; everything needed to do this stuff. I don't mind helping others out if they need help. Just give me a buzz. My contact info is in my profile. Soon as my cable gets here, "kouki_hmongster" is going to have a new revised tune. Hopefully he can get his car going, and vouch for me. I don't charge, either. ^_^ Ask WD, I'm eazy..

DevilMB3017

Eric, you are the man.

This is why I love the KA-T community. We help each other instead of being fanbois

I really want to go standalone so its easy for me to change maps a lot, but ROM tuning is looking like an option too.

madd ocx
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

damn that sucks man! when i was searching for a tune i was real close to getting the emance.. but there was to many mixed reviews on him.. enthalpy had nothing but good feedback, jwt had good feedback as well but he said it would take 5-6 weeks to get my ecu tuned.. so i coughed up the 5 bills and went with enthalpy. with tuning you gotta be real careful.. not saying anything bad about emance but he seems to wishy washy

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

yeah i had SO many problems myself as well. i went about 3 months back and forth with him retune after retune, oil change after oil change, spark plug after spark plug, and then he told me to change to different injectors........ i thought to myself what kind of tuner would make you change your setup after telling you that he could tune for it???

then i changed my setup and it runs and drives but won't idle on cold starts unless you hold the gas and won't idle on it's own until it's warmed up. Also at wot it goes to 10 on my uego and that's where the uego stops reading for richness. And i contacted him at least 3 times through email about getting a retune because of how insanely rich i was at wot and like so many others i've gotten NO response at all.

needless to say i'm not doing business with him anymore. I had to lean it out with my safc at wot and it was a HUGE improvement in power. I didn't bother asking for reimbursement for all those ngk plugs that were fouled because of his tune, and those oil changes because of all the fuel in my oil because of his tune..... i knew he wouldn't refund it as many others have already tried.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I'm not sure what the problem is, Emance tunes, improperly installed chips or any combination there of. BUT...there does seem to be an alarming rate of complaints piling on Eric and his company Emance.

I guess we should consider this an official buyer beware notification.

I haven't heard of this many issues or even close from Enthalpy or JWT. However, both lack in customer service. The product seems to be quality though.

I'm not sure where the failure is these days. Customer Service is the first thing you should perfect because the product shouldn't even be sold unless it's of decent quality.

As far as Easy goes...he's a lazy SOB

This message is approved by the White Devil

480sx

I would love to get a cheap alternative for tuning that didnt suck. Easy man you should lead the way. Just sell a few tunes, like a 370cc injector stock maf, 550cc injector z32 maf and a 850 injector z32 maf. Youd make bank. You dont need to install the boards yourself, anyone can take their ECU to a CPU repair store or a TV repair shop and get it done for under 20 bucks. That way you just send them your daughter board and they are good to go. An enthalpy sized board would work great, they screw into the ECU like it was made to be there with screws you can get for a few bucks at a local hardware store.

The tunes dont have to be 100 percent original really, this is the age of the freaken internet where so very little content is original. They just have to work heh.

neverlift

lolsky

thread = why I diy rom tune

WDRacing

480sx wrote:

I would love to get a cheap alternative for tuning that didnt suck.
Fuel nozzles, variable controller and the MSD BTM...done and done.

Definitly what I'm going with

DevilMB3017

If you can get the car to a dyno, local guys don't charge too much to tune really. I have a guy here with will do a full race tune for a grand. He takes your car for three days.

For a couple hundred he'll get you running.

The only problem is getting your car there. This is why I went Enthalpy...

WDRacing

Uhaul...or tow truck. Most tow's are about 85 bucks depending on distance.

I stand by my fuel nozzle / msd combo FTMFW

shimizu_17

I run a JWT ecu and it runs good. I wouldn't have any complaints if i had to take it on a road trip. It took freakin forever to get my ecu tune from JWT but I never called or pressured them to hurry up but Im glad I shelled out the money for it.

Few friends have run enthalpy chips with good results. But so far emance hasn't looked good overall.

eazye2000

The tuning, once you get a 'basic' understanding of it, is SUPER easy.I called Blong, "kouki_hmongster", on the phone and e-mailed him a few tunes that I had. I explained to him what each tune was. And had him download Tuner Pro. Then had him open each tune in the Tuner Pro, then use the 'compare' feature in the program.It shows you every difference you want to see. You can even run a 'report' style 'what is changed' gimmick and it runs it down for you.

I bet, almost all of you "DIY" guys, can download the free program, look at the tunes, compare, and be like "OH SNAP, THAT'S WHAT/WHY THAT DOES THIS/THAT!!!".

I'm at a standstill right now because I received a Willem PCB 5.0 instead of the 4.5 I'm used to. So I need a new cable. But once I'm back up and running, I will help anyone with whatever they need. I don't have much time on my hands, and the home life isn't doing so well, but I will do what I can. Honestly, I don't know 'that' much about the tuning, but I understand how it all works. Nobody is showing me how, I'm kinda learning on my own. There is a good post I will link to, from a local forum and buddy, that shows a bit and explains a good amount of how everything works.WD, If you want to make a new thread, have at it. My apologies.This is my buddy's website. He's a car guy, not a forum moderator or creator. Just doing what he can to help, like myself. http://ne240sx.forums-free.com....html

For the books, this is the programmer I 'wanted' to get. I got the wrong one. But nonetheless, this one burns MANY, many things. http://www.sivava.com/EPROM_Programmer_4.html Any package will work. Just the cheap one gets you what you need. Software and such. And you can even burn chips to get yourself some 'acquired' satellite TV...

Tuner Pro is the program you use to tear apart the .BIN's, or tuning files. That can be googled for an easy, free download.

Then hit up hybridka.com for some of the .XDF files you will need to help you 'look' into the tunes, and direct you to what you want.

I'm sure a few guys on here know how to do this, so speak up and help out if you can. I understand it's valuable information and some don't like to just 'give' it away. But with so many people getting ripped off now, I don't mind taking a hit to help out. Not to mention, I have like, a 5k motor that I keep bolting 1.2k turbo's to and changing my mind. lol So not an investment I want to give up on, yet.

Hope I didn't bore you, and check out that link if you have time. It comes as a rush at first. But once it clicks, man you will be wanting to learn more.

~Eric

WDRacing

DUDE...YOU make a new thread and explain / share ALL you know. .......................Or Ban

kouki_hmongster
Car: Want 97 kouki

ERIC you the SHIIITTT bro. i'm still learning, but school is killing me at the moment.

1sikS13
Car: 1992 S13 240sx

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

post up this guy's ****ty tune so we can learn from it. you don't need permission from a moderator to do that.

DevilMB3017

I'm really, really thinking about checking out my Enthalpy tune and start messing with it.

I'm just really, really afraid of blowing my money by blowing my motor. I guess small slow changes can't be a bad thing, right?

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

if you don't know what you're doing, you'll be doing more harm than good.

480sx

Better leaving that alone and using a SAFC to fine tune it. SAFC + Enthalpy tune ftw.

eazye2000

480sx wrote: SAFC + Enthalpy tune ftw.

If you don't want to mess with the tuning aspect of it, and you already have the Enthalpy tune and an SAFC, then call it good. Just fine tune it with the SAFC.If you want to run more boost, put like 10 points higher octane in your car for every 2-3psi you want to go over your tune.Just some random info that I have actually done first hand without harm.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”