Aftermarket backup sensor

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

After driving the Rogue for a few days, I am seriously considering a backup sensor.

http://www.bypasskit.com/produ...tid=8

The hatch window is rather high from the ground making it difficult judge distances when reversing. Besides my fiancee is fearful of backing up and I would hate to get the dreaded phine call. The issue will be sensor location. It would be ideal somewhere around the license plate since all of the wiring could be contained in the rear hatch. However you need access to the hatch release and not block the plate illumination.

The rest would be easy as the LED/beeper module gets mounted in a visible location inside the hatch and power is from the reverse lights located on the hatch as well.

I have not purchased yet, but if I decide to do it, I'll post photos and my impressions.

got.me.a.rogue
Car: 08 rogue sl awd

found some additional information on the different types of backup warning devices available

Below is a partial list of aftermarket options to address the blind zone behind a motor vehicle. KIDSANDCARS.ORG does not endorse any particular product but rather offers this information in order to educate drivers. Consumers can also find additional products at local after market dealers and on the Internet. KIDSANDCARS.ORG assumes no liability or responsibility for use of such devices.

http://www.kidsandcars.org/avo....html

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I looked into the sensor at the website link. Looks promising!

It gets turned on when the car is in reverse. The backup lights are in the rear hatch door, so that works out.

As for a place to mount a light/beeper, there is a good spot on the little "hump" at the back inside where the rear wiper arm is. Unless you have something big in the back. It may even be easy enough to pull off the entire rear inside panel and mount it on the top of the rear hatch on the inside.

As for the sensors, I would get the two sensor model and mount them on either side of the license plate or even out on the sides of the rear hatch outside of the license plate recess.

I am excellent with my mirrors, but have driven vehicles with backup alarms, and they really work well. Sensor location is key.

I'm going to call the website and get some more info.

philipa_240sx

Actually I was planning on using a single sensor mounted to the centre of the license plate. I may change that now that I am planning to get a trailer hitch (for my bike rack) and mount it to the hitch instead. It would be far easier than trying to get wiring through the hatch.

Superdave54

I have ended up ordering the single sensor kit. I will have it next week and post the results when I have it installed.

I would like to know the best way to remove the interior rear hatch panel for the installation.

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

Superdave54 wrote:I have ended up ordering the single sensor kit. I will have it next week and post the results when I have it installed.

I would like to know the best way to remove the interior rear hatch panel for the installation.
Check this topic for information on how to get a Service Manual for $20.

zerothread/317179

philipa_240sx

I just recieved mine. I'm have nixed the plate mount idea as the wire may be difficult to run via the existing wiring located near the plate illumination/hatch release button. I'm favoring 2 other mounting locations:

1) On the lower edge of the hatch, below license plate. There is a drain hole on the inside edge of the hatch which would make wire routing easy.

2) On the trailer hitch (which I don't have). This would be the least conspicuous install but the proximity of the sensor to the ground may be an issue.

I am planning on doing several tests with the sensor taped in place in several locations before finalizing the install.

Which reminds me, I should get my trailer light wiring done at the same time.

Superdave54

I would like to know how it goes for you. Especially when it comes to the best loacation to mouunt the sensor. I hope you find a good spot on the rear hatch (door).

Doesn't the sensor come with a plug on the end of the wire, and it cannot be cut according to the instructions on the website? I would think the drain hole would be to small for the plug.

As for mounting the sensor anywhere but in the rear hatch, the power needs to come from the backup light, which is in the rear hatch and comes in on top. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble to run the wiring.

I was thinking of pulling off the hatch rear interior panel to look for places to run the wiring out.

I did download the manual. Thanks for the tips on this. Enjoy your posts.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

One caution on mounting it on the lower edge of the hatch. I mounted the sensor on our other car on the lower edge of the hatch. People kept assuming it was a hand hold to close the hatch. Twice it was pulled out of alignment . I watch it very closely when others close the hatch.

philipa_240sx

cdmuile wrote:One caution on mounting it on the lower edge of the hatch. I mounted the sensor on our other car on the lower edge of the hatch. People kept assuming it was a hand hold to close the hatch. Twice it was pulled out of alignment . I watch it very closely when others close the hatch.
Thanks for the tip.

I have just received the backup sensor. I checked and the harness plug WILL fit through the drain hole. I am pleased since this will greatly simplify the install and avoid drilling holes. Once we get some decent weather, I'll do the install and post a brief writeup.

cdmuile

I purchased my 4 sensor wireless unit on Ebay last December. $15 including postage!!!!! Just checked and it's not now listed on Ebay. Anyone needing help with a similar unit? I'll tell you how I did it. It's not easy, but it works great.....much better than I expected.

Superdave54

I'd like to know where you mounted your sensors, and if you powered it with the backup light circuit in the rear hatch door.

cdmuile

The 4 sensors are mounted 12 inches apart. I started from the exact center of the rear bumper. This is from the hatch latch dead center. The really important thing is that you mount them exactly 25 and a forth inches(dead center) from ground level. There is a large metal beam behind the rear bumper cladding and that's why it's important to drill above it (the beam) at 25 and a quarter inches. From underneath the car, you can see the four wire leads as you feed them through the holes you've drilled. The two inner sensors will be drilled through some kind or styrofoam material. No problem, nothing damaged. Enlarge the styrofoam holes using a screw driver and feed the wires through the foam. I brought the wires up the passenger side of the car between the plastic cladding and the trunk metal. I entered the trunk by drilling a hole, I used a step drill bit, about a half inch in diameter about 18 inches above the bumper. This would be through the metal where the cladding ends and the metal body begins. This would be on the outside of the liftgate rubber seal on the body. Then, from inside the trunk, drill another half inch hole, horizontally, close to the hole you've drilled outside the trunk. You're in!! From there you're on your own. Look at the bumper carefully and you'll notice that it has a very pronounced curve. This means that the outer sensors will pick up objects slightly to the side of the car. My wife freaked out backing out of the garage.....not to worry! The thing is working as intended. Good luck. It's a lot of work, but given the limited view out the back, it"s worth it. I powered it up from the reversing light wiring on the hatch. Follow instructions in the Rogue's manual. You have to pry a little bit, but being careful not to scratch the paint, the light assembly comes out. Remember there are three nuts to be removed.

boooey

I saw a backup camera/monitor at Costco the other day for like $70

wondering if that would be a better option

cdmuile

I would be sure it also has an audio feature. Most do but some inexpensive units don't. The two dimentional camera and tiny monitor just wouldn't do it for me.

Superdave54

Agreed. I saw the same system at Costco, and I pictured myself trying to look at that little screen instead of out the back window or the side view mirrors.

My thought was the audio "beeping" letting me know the proximity, in conjuction with looking out the back and in the mirrors for cars and pedestrians approaching from the sides, was the way to go.

I have been driving Ford trucks at work with the backup beeper system, and do just this with good results.

I have only ordered the single sensor unit. I must admit that the guy who installed the four sensor wireless system really did it right. I feel kind of lazy compared to him.

Superdave54

Installed my system. Mounted the sensor on my license plate at the bottom center, angled down. The indicator/beeper is on the bottom of the rear window behind the wiper facing the front. All is contained in the rear hatch door.

All my testing has shown good function, and the single sensor has surprising side angle indication.

Haven't had a chance to test it driving. Just snowed a foot here in Bellingham, Washington. Very unusual to get snow this late. Must be global warming.

philipa_240sx

I haven't gotten around to mine yet. License plate... how did you route your wiring? Via the license plate light wiring? I am interested to know.

Superdave54

Removed rear interior hatch panel, and connected up power wiring to left backup light and temporarily taped the monitor module to the inside of the rear window. The provided power connectors did not work at first, and I had to really squeeze the blades into the connectors.

Sensor Mounting and wiring: First I started with a drill bit just big enough to let the sensor plug through. I drilled a hole in the license plate center bottom as low as I could so I still had a flat spot to stick the sensor with the wire on the bottom.

I then went to the local hardware store with my license plate (but you may have to go to an auto parts store) and bought two rubber grommets just the right size to fill the hole and let the wire feed through the center. When I got home, I took a razor blade and cut half-way through the grommets so I could open each up and put it over the wire.

I then mounted the sensor on the license plate, fed the plug and wire through the license plate, and installed the rubber grommet to protect the wire. I then drilled the same size hole in the hatch centered between the license plate bolt holders and about an inch below a line drawn between them. I then put the plug, wire and grommet through that hole and covered it with clear silicone caulk and screwed on the license plate.

Then I just ran the sensor wire (had to bundle up the extra) to the module, installed the interior trim and mounted the sensor.

Got to try it out this afternoon. So far it is working perfectly. I intentionally backed up to items directly centered behind me and even a little to the side and it always sensed them. People probably thought I was a little crazy, backing around the parking lots.

Sorry, no pics. I don't want to pay.

cdmuile

Pay? Say what? Why would anyone pay to post a picture? The forums I am familiar with, Jaguar and Azera, don't require you to pay anything to post pictures. That's the way it should be! Poleeze!!!

philipa_240sx

NICO like many forums does not allow you to upload photos... you can only post external links to photos. To post a photo, you must upload to another site (ie. personal web page, or photo/file sharing site). If you are looking for a free photo upload site, try Flickr or Photobucket.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Anybody else install one of these? I'd really like to have one, especially since the 2010 Rogue's offer it as an option now!! I'd like to get it installed by someone else I think, let them have the liability in case something gets screwed up. I just don't want to spend 500+ dollars to achieve this, and there are far too many online to properly evaluate which one will be effective......any thoughts?

philipa_240sx

Kerrton,

Mine is still sitting in a box in my desk... brand new. I'm just not interested in installing it anymore. It's yours if you can pay for the postage (About $10 to AB).

silverboy

Hello guys, I just join the forum and I already got lots of info.

philipa_240sx, IMO, the backup sensor install in the bumper is much easier than removing the panel in the door.Also, before I forget, the cable you can use for power the backup sensor or camera, is the Green/silver dots. It took me a while to find it.

I have installed many backup sensors on all our SUVs(CRV/Element/MDX)

The camera from Costco takes a long time to come on. You place the car in Reverse and then you have to wait almost three seconds to see the pic.I think it is an option to leave the LCD screen always on. I didn't like it.

Also, I rather have the sensors than the camera. One split second and I won't see a kid behind a bumper. I trust the sensors a little more, just my opinion.

I just installed a backup sensors, the type that you don't have to drill holes, it is a tape that goes across the bumper(inside). I removed the bumper and installed them. Don't like them!

So I ordered a diff sensors, I mean different.I got them in the mail yesterday and got them from Fleabay.They flip open when you place the car in rev and closes when you take it off.The quality is amazing, and it comes with four sensors. They only sell the sensors in black color(NO PROBLEM) but I'll paint the in Silver color(I done in the past and there is no problem).

I'll install them on Monda and post pics.BTW, when I removed the rear bumper, there is marks already there for the backup sensors.

Here is a pic of the ones I will be using. I paid like $70 shipped.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Philip, thank you so much for the kind offer, I really appreciate it. But I'm not quite at the point where I'm comfortable with this install myself, and still not sure what model to go with since I have no experience with this stuff and there are a lot of different options. Maybe after I tackle the trailer hitch wiring this weekend I'll be more confident, but for now I don't want to waste your time until I'm sure I'm ready to move ahead with this. But again, thanks a lot for offering to help.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:Kerrton,

Mine is still sitting in a box in my desk... brand new. I'm just not interested in installing it anymore. It's yours if you can pay for the postage (About $10 to AB).
If Kerrton is not interested, I am.I noticed my wife doesn't use anymore her back up camera I installed on her Odyssey, probably because of the sometimes faulty wireless transmission and the cables running around on the dashboard.But, I am not secured with so many young children in the neighborhood running around a so big car with so poor visibility.

Let me know.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl, check your e-mail.

Topper1
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S

Where do you mount the display monitor? Is it held on with 2way tape. What is the measurement of display monitor? Would like to see pictures of installation and display. Where do you mount sensors, can they be placed on the black area below the bumper. thanks for information. It looks great. Also is it voice.

silverboy

Topper1 wrote:Where do you mount the display monitor? Is it held on with 2way tape. What is the measurement of display monitor? Would like to see pictures of installation and display. Where do you mount sensors, can they be placed on the black area below the bumper. thanks for information. It looks great. Also is it voice.
I'll mount the display monitor on the left side/front.The LCD in the monitor is almost 2".I'll mount the sensors in the top area of the bumper. I removed the bumper the other day and there is a mark for the location on where to drill.

The quality of the sensors is really good.I'll not install them in the bacl area, it'll pick the ground(sensor).

The sensors have a up side to do the install.

I'll post pics and I will do the Home Depot mod as well if I have the time.

Can anyone direct me on how to removed the front bumper?

Thanks

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

silverboy wrote:
I'll mount the display monitor on the left side/front.The LCD in the monitor is almost 2".I'll mount the sensors in the top area of the bumper. I removed the bumper the other day and there is a mark for the location on where to drill.

The quality of the sensors is really good.I'll not install them in the bacl area, it'll pick the ground(sensor).

The sensors have a up side to do the install.

I'll post pics and I will do the Home Depot mod as well if I have the time.

Can anyone direct me on how to removed the front bumper?

Thanks
how hard was it to remove the rear bumper? sorry to be off topic. there is a small dent i made when i back up into a license plates. i can really notice it now in the sun.

Return to “Rogue Forum”