CAI or SRI

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Red93coupe
Car: 1993 CA powered Coupe-sold 1996 Maxima 5spd all black, 1992 300zx all black 2+2 soon to be TT

Alright I've been trying to decide which way I should go..... I've been talking o a guy in Canada that builds S13's with SR20's in them and he said every one he has done he puts a CAI on, with no problems....I've also read that if you have a CAI and it rains the turbo will suck it up...On the flip side I've heard that even with a shielded air filter you are still victim to some heat soak with a SRI, Can someone please clear this up...I want to do a CAI but it wont be anywhere near the ground so I dont know I guess!!!!

The_Chosen_One
Car: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Just dont go fast in puddles and if the puddle is deep dont let the filter get submerged in it. '

Here are pics of my setup. I custom made it myself.

Indecisive
Car: 1987 200sx Turbo

you've gotta be driving through a flood or in a swimming pool to suck up enough water to hydrolock your engine with a CAI.

Red93coupe
Car: 1993 CA powered Coupe-sold 1996 Maxima 5spd all black, 1992 300zx all black 2+2 soon to be TT

Yeah I saw your setup before thats basically what I wanted to do with mine....Thanks for the advice...Is that an sr t25?

The_Chosen_One

GTi-R T28 Brand New

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I essentially have the same setup and have driven in the rain PLENTY of times with no damage at all. Just don't be a dumbass and you'll be fine.

The_Chosen_One

If you ask if its worth it?

OHHHH Yes I saw a decrease in intake temps of about 10-20*F

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

you always hear the debate - "cold airs dont help much on turbo cars since the intake air gets heated anyway by the turbo"

I guess the counter debate is the lower temp the air starts off as the lower it will be post turbo?

greensx
Car: 93 240sx hatchback

So where did you buy the piping to do the cai at? Very interested in doing this also

Red93coupe

You can see if a local muffler shop will bend you up some, or you can buy exhaust elbows, I know where I work (O'Reilly Auto Parts) we sometimes get in mandrel bent exhaust, you might have to look in back, th brand name is Walker Exhaust!!!

mbmbmb23

What's SRI stand for?

Red93coupe

Your kidding right?

The_Chosen_One

I got mine through a performance shop. I picked up 3" aluminum tubing and cut to specs.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

mbmbmb23 wrote:What's SRI stand for?
Red93coupe wrote:Your kidding right?
I don't know either.

ragenasian
Car: AE86 w/CA18DET

I hope you are kidding too TMS I hate to do this but

short ram intake

OR

SRI Sacrum Romanum Imperium (Latin: Sacred Roman Empire, codices and manuscripts) SRI Safety Related Instrumentation SRI Sasquatch Research Initiative SRI Scripps Research Institute SRI Selective Retention Indicator SRI Self-Report Inventory SRI Send Routing Information (cellular) SRI Sensory Research Institute SRI Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor SRI Serviciul Roman de Informatii (Romanian Intelligence Service) SRI Siena Research Institute SRI Signal Related Information (Signals Intelligence) SRI Silsoe Research Institute (UK) SRI SIP Relay Interface SRI Snowy River Institute (Australia) SRI Socially Responsible Investing SRI Software Reuse Initiative SRI Software Risk Item (software quality assurance) SRI Soils Research Institute (Ghana) SRI Source Route Indicator SRI Southern Research Institute (University of Alabama at Birmingham) SRI Southern Rizal Institute (Pateros, Metro Manila, Philippines) SRI Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, Texas) SRI Space Research Institute SRI Special Reporting Item SRI Standard/Standing Request for Information SRI Standby Request for Information SRI Stanford Research Institute (now called SRI International) SRI Steady Receive Indication SRI Steel Recycling Institute SRI Storeroom Item SRI Student Radio Initiative SRI Supplier Registration Information SRI Supply Requisition Inquiry SRI surveillance, reconnaissance, and intelligence (US Marine Corps) SRI Swiss Radio International SRI System Reliability Institute SRI System Rice Intensification SRI Systems Research Inc.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I'm the guy who cuts a hole in his hood to shoot fire over my roof. A little cold air intake is a toy to me by comparison thus my lack of caring about the terminology. Hey, I got that fenderpole you wanted.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

ragenasian....um.....wow...I'm almost interested in how long it took you to come up with all of that....almost

TMS, I'm lmao! Fenderpole, that's classic.

progman

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that just because you have a turbo (that is going to heat the air anyways) doesn't mean you want hotter air to start with!

Turbo or not the cooler the air the better.

I was talking to a Honda guy and he showed me his setup in which he had his air filter was inches from his header and he said "I have an inter cooler so that doesn't matter" what a dumb ***.

Having a turbo or inter cooler does not defy physics.

Is there any argument at all to that "since it's turbo charged it doesn't matter that the air is hotter?"

Also if your running a MAF you want it at least 12 inches from the turbo. I've read a few places that if it's too close it will cause the hot wire to see turbulence and it won't be as accurate as it can be. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

The_Chosen_One, I really like your setup it's awesome.

ragenasian
Car: AE86 w/CA18DET

I was just messing with TMS I cut and pasted that from a quick google search.

By the way my wife has a bumper pole on her Honda but one of these military jerkoffs decided they were going to snap it off so I asked Mr. TMS to see if he could get me a new one.

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

themadscientist wrote:I'm the guy who cuts a hole in his hood to shoot fire over my roof.
That sounds familiar. Was there a video?

mbmbmb23

Nah, never heard "SRI" before....maybe it's a popular "everything but a 240sx" buzzword-acronym because I've been on FA and Zilvia since 2001 and have never seen "SRI" before.....only CAI (Injen for the 240sx....with or without the "extension"...which I guess is the extra peice that makes it an SRI or whatever). Anyhow...you learn something new everyday (YLSNE).

-M

Two-Fortee
Car: 180sx.

Anyone know where to get a Cold Air Intake for a CA18DET ? I'm having huge issues lol

The_Chosen_One

Build your own, if you want to copy my design, just get 1 3" 45* aluminum, 1 3" 90* bend aluminum, 1 3" coupler, 1 2.5" to 3" Reducer coupler. 1 3" Air Filter.

Heres my cost.

KN Filter $303" 45* Pipe $243" 90* Bend Pipe $253" to 2.5" Reducer Coupler $193" Coupler $ 9

Total comes to $107

This doesnt include MAF attachments because I use Megasquirt which is a MAP system.

mmm240
94 Toyota Pickup
03 Toyota Matrix XR

The_Chosen_One wrote:I use Megasquirt which is a MAP system.
What does MAP stand for? I'm thinking about going megasquirt down the road and trying to learn as much as possible about it.

And I'm probably gonna steal your intake design

greensx
Car: 93 240sx hatchback

The_Chosen_One wrote:Build your own, if you want to copy my design, just get 1 3" 45* aluminum, 1 3" 90* bend aluminum, 1 3" coupler, 1 2.5" to 3" Reducer coupler. 1 3" Air Filter.

Heres my cost.

KN Filter $303" 45* Pipe $243" 90* Bend Pipe $253" to 2.5" Reducer Coupler $193" Coupler $ 9

Total comes to $107

This doesnt include MAF attachments because I use Megasquirt which is a MAP system.
thanks for the info will now make my own intake now

The_Chosen_One

mmm240 wrote:
What does MAP stand for? I'm thinking about going megasquirt down the road and trying to learn as much as possible about it.

And I'm probably gonna steal your intake design
MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure. The system gets readings from the intake manifold instead of in the intake tract like a MAF system. Also it measures pressure instead of airflow.

both systems have pros and cons.

MAP is usually refered to Speed density.

mmm240
94 Toyota Pickup
03 Toyota Matrix XR

So where is the sensor located to gather the info?

The_Chosen_One

mmm240 wrote:So where is the sensor located to gather the info?
The IAT (Intake Air Temp sensor) is located right before the throttle body.

The MAP sensor depending on the ecu system usually has a seperate sensor near the manifold. Mine is inside my ecu and I have a vacuum hose from the intake manifold running to the ecu.

Notice the clear hose.

biosehnsucht

I needs take picture of my ghetto cold air box.

I have a 'short' intake pipe from the turbo into the area behind the left headlight, where I have a HKS 200mm Super Mega Flow mounted. I made a partial box out of sheet aluminum cut to fit in the area and wall it off (not a whole box, just walls and top basically) so air is primarily sucked from behind the headlight and from the fender below/past the SMIC piping.

This made a HUGE difference over the same setup without the ghetto box. This is not a filter in the wheel well, this is still up behind the light. It never heat soaks anymore, cold air box > warm air intake, and safer than a CAI as well as having less piping.

mbmbmb23

biosehnsucht wrote:I needs take picture of my ghetto cold air box.

I have a 'short' intake pipe from the turbo into the area behind the left headlight, where I have a HKS 200mm Super Mega Flow mounted. I made a partial box out of sheet aluminum cut to fit in the area and wall it off (not a whole box, just walls and top basically) so air is primarily sucked from behind the headlight and from the fender below/past the SMIC piping.

This made a HUGE difference over the same setup without the ghetto box. This is not a filter in the wheel well, this is still up behind the light. It never heat soaks anymore, cold air box > warm air intake, and safer than a CAI as well as having less piping.
Sounds nice....I'm hoping to build something similar using the OEM resonator hole (which i will enlarge to accompany the fmic hotpipe as well) and running a pipe up to the vent under the blinker. Basically a ram-air box encapsulating my power intake filter.

-m

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”