Cost of 91Q Timing Chain Guide Repair

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
QtiePie

Well, guys, we've got three estimates now on replacing the timing chain guides on my Ivory Queen, and none is less than $2,600. I'm in Kirkland (near Seattle), Washington, and got quotes from Dr. Don's, Greg's Japanese Auto and the Kirkland Infiniti dealer.

We're debating what to do. The dealer sounded the most knowledgable about the repair and the most firm on their estimate. Each garage said it could be less depending on what they see when they get in there, but it could also be more. The dealer's parts cost was less than the kit mentioned here in other threads, but the labor - whew!

Not sure at this point whether we will put the dough into her at that price. The suspension is also completely gone and would need to be repaired before too long. I haven't driven the car since reading up on the guide issue here last week, and I won't start it until I figure out which direction we're going to go. She still looks so good sitting out there in my driveway!

So, is there a market for engines of this year with this many miles on them?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I would say not much without the guide repair. The Infiniti of Kirkland labor rates are second only to Silicon Valley and the Bay area. I don't know who the senior tech is there. Charlie is a good service writer who probably would understand the issues.

At 207k, you will discover by reading the posts that there are other items waiting for attention or disaster, like the under plenum hoses, maybe the ABS if the fluid hasn't been kept fresh, maybe the radiator is shot, and how about the transmission?

You're choice is basically do you have $2-$3K now, plus another $2-$3k soon to restore it nearer to as new condition? It will cost what or more than the car is worth to do this. There is no discount on service costs or parts for luxury cars just because they are old. Options are to take the $5-$6K and go the Honda or Kia route, look for a later model with lower miles in better shape (both requiring another $5-$6K for purchase and repairs), or fix yours if it's cherry and enjoy it.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

QtiePie wrote:The dealer's parts cost was less than the kit mentioned here

I would bet dollars to donuts they're quoting fewer parts than the list posted here. Maybe *just* the guides (or 1/2 the guides). I have yet to see a walk-in pay less than "list" price for parts at a dealership.

forecast

Alive your car is worth about $1000 at the junkyard or a specialty shop. You could sell it to some kid who thinks he could fix it himself and ask more than $2000.

The the engine pulled still working maybe worth $1000 - the guide repair is very very easy to do if the engine is being swapped into another car. The market for these engines is rapidly diminishing though since few owners anymore are willing to put $4000 at once into any car of this age.

I have to say, I'm suprised at the $2600 estimate. This is not a *huge* job. It should be in the range of 10 hours if the guides are intact, an extra 10 if and only if the oil pan must be removed to fish out broken bits.

For 2 grand plus parts, I would almost be willing to fly somewhere and do the work in someone's backyard. This isn't a offer, but an observation that at that price I could be looking at $200 an hour.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Qtie - Is hubby up to the task? We have enough knowledge on this board, that he could probably be walked through the job if he was willing...

What a great project - I hope he'd agree to do it, knowing how much you love that car. :D

Q45Viper

You need to be very specific regarding the list of parts. If you have searched this site you may still have the wrong list as many posts started with a list and were corrected by the experts. The most accurate way is to CALL Joe at Scottsdale Infiniti, have him fax you the parts list and prices. Then start calling dealers and talk to service managers about their expertise to do this, ask them if they will allow you to provide the parts or will they MATCH the price, be sure you are talking about the same list of parts. Next find out how many hours are being quoted and at what hourly rate. Next, and very important, find out if they are quoting you based on dropping the pan, which only needs to be done if the chain is broken and the pieces have dropped down. That second stage alone adds $600 approx. You've got to shop this job around to get the best deal, I'm an original owner who had been very happy with my selling dealer till this deal came up. It took a lot of calling and researching but I finally found a dealer at a reasonable price and with expertise. I paid a little over $2000 including oil change and no pan drop. I did NOT try and squeeze the last dollar out. Regarding some of the other issues, don't get too frightened yet as to all the costs need to bring this car up to spec. What you HAVE to do is make a diagnosis of exactly what is needed. The absolute first thing is to have a dealer run the VIN number for a service history, you may be pleasantly surprised. Some of the potential problems....Transmission, I would be willing to bet a significant amount that this is not the original tranny, it's probably been fixed and has the cooling upgrade, for safety you will need to do the complete flush and pan drop and filter procedure, that will solve your second biggest risk after the chains. I bet the radiator is not original either, many times they get damaged by tranny failure, mine was. The AC is another big expense when it goes, but again I bet if it blows cold now it's already been replaced. Yes, you will have to do under the plenum, all the hoses, knock sensor and injectors at some point, but again you are flying blind, how do you know a lot of this stuff has not been done? you really need to find out the history of the car, do you have any service records? Can you get them from the previous owner? Have to ask nicely without indicating there is a problem. Do an analysis on what is actually needed before making a decsion, a lot of this stuff can be budgeted if it's running ok, you can limp along a little before doing the suspension and if it's running ok you don't need to be under the plenum just yet. One common thing here, you keep saying it looks great. Good paint no dings? Good interior, clean, no rips in the seats. If it LOOKS that good it has probably been maintained well. Call this dealer you've been to, have him run the service history, that's your first step.

valleybouy
Car: autos computers stock market

for chain guide replacement in northwest call C Speck Mtrs in Sunnyside Wa 509-837-5501 talk to service writer Angel Casteneda. the technician is Leonard Aliniz, an exellent certified nissan and gm mechanic. Leonard did my 91q 2 years age. I purchased the part at discount from Joe at scottsdale. I had lots of other work done. Like valve cover reseal, plenum hoses etc. Price was thousands less than portland or kirkland dealers. this is less than 200 miles from Seattle area. Vallybouy

QtiePie

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice and perspectives.

We know several years of the service history as the Infiniti dealer ran the VIN and checked the car out thoroughly for us two months ago. Lots on their list to be done - some cosmetic but several major repairs for sure. They advised us not to put any $ into the car, but I wasn't willing to hear that until I read up on things for myself.

Q45Viper - she's not EXACTLY in pristine condition. I tend to be an optimist and overlook things, but it does have some body damage on one panel and the interior wasn't clean or unripped when I got her last year. It's had several owners according to CarFax, and didn't even have the floor mats or owner's manual left in it.

Well I believe we will putting her up for sale on eBay or elsewhere. If I don't get any takers, I'll donate it to a local charity - telling them about the work needed so they don't endanger anyone. It has been a real pleasure and eye-opener driving it even for a year. We put 10,000 miles on it over the past 11 months and I enjoyed driving a truly well-designed car for the first time in my life. Now I'm spoiled! We looked at a Hyundai Sonata last month, but as much as it looks like a luxury car on the outside, it just isn't the same!

Due to our long-term plans, however, I can't be too selfish and spend our cash fixing up an older expensive car like the Q just yet. We'll see what I can find in a year or two - what do you want to bet it will be an Infiniti?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

QtiePie wrote: We'll see what I can find in a year or two - what do you want to bet it will be an Infiniti?
If you conserve your cash, there are still low mileage first generation Q45s out there, but you have to be vigilant and ready to assess and act when one becomes available. Buying new always loses value when you take the title. Buying a good used car with an extended warranty can lose you less money if you look very carefully.

Also, you might consider a second generation Q45, as they are bullet proof if maintained correctly, and they are getting cheaper.

Good luck, and feel free to email or call me personally if y'all need help as I am in Seattle most of the time.__________________Brian1995 Q45 & Q45t

Discover the power of the button!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”