Options for S13 redtop valve cover T?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

Here's a pic of the way I have it set up right now. The right side goes down to the block and the left side goes to the intake, that's stock. How do you guys have yours set up? Can I put a breather filter on the left side (and plug intake hole) and have the right side to a catch can and then the block?

otterman

CMG wrote:Can I put a breather filter on the left side (and plug intake hole) and have the right side to a catch can and then the block?
Yes you can. If you already have a port on your intake I dont see a reason to block it and put a breather on the T. You need to get a catch can though.
Modified by otterman at 4:27 PM 9/12/2007

efrain240sx
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx HB

I would have the left side run to one of the nipples on a catch can, and the oder nipple on the catch can I would put a breather on it. Then I would have the one on the right go down to the block.

CMG

Both of you guys have a good point. I think I'll leave the right side the way it is and put a catch can on the left side. For now I think I'll put the hose off the can to the intake.

otterman

CMG wrote:Both of you guys have a good point. I think I'll leave the right side the way it is and put a catch can on the left side. For now I think I'll put the hose off the can to the intake.
I think it's better to put the catch can between the t and the block. At least that's where the stock catch can is.

fc3sdrifter121

I have a catch can, one end on that hose-catch can, and the other end tapped into the turbo inlet pipe for teh suckshion

Emperor_Tha

yea same here, but i never seen any oil on the hose since i had it runningfor 2 months

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

Quick question CMG, is that foil on your hose on the right?

CMG

Yeah. I put that on cuz I used to have a plain tubular manifold, and it was real hot. I'm thinking that it would make more sense to have the can on the intake side, cuz it's fine if the oil drains down to the block rather than into the intake right?

otterman

Well the oil blows from the block to the intake. I don't know if it's bad to have the oil blowing into the T breather on the valve cover or not so I dont know why it has the catch can before that while stock. Maybe because it just fits nice in that area?

CMG

otterman wrote:Well the oil blows from the block to the intake. I don't know if it's bad to have the oil blowing into the T breather on the valve cover or not so I dont know why it has the catch can before that while stock. Maybe because it just fits nice in that area?
Yeah, I think I'll see if I can find a reason to have the stock catch can on the right, otherwise I'll put it on the left. I definitely wouldn't want oil getting sucked in to the intake.

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

crankcase blow by travels from the block to your intake.

There are two ways that it can travel from the block to your intake.

#1: You are not boosting and part throttle. This will create vacuum in the intake mani (after throttle body) causing the PCV valve to open and bring in the crankcase blow by from the block to the intake manifold.

#2: You are boosting. This closes the PCV valve but there is that T that will see the vacuum created by the turbo inlet. Crankcase blow by will travel from the block to your turbo inlet.

As you can see, in both cases, crankcase blow by travels from the block. This is precisely why they put the oil catch can where it is. Close to the block so that in both scenarios, it is catching the oil in the blow by gas.

By the way, you want to have both PCV and turbo inlet connected otherwise your engine is not getting rid of its crankcase blow by well. You have to account for both no-boost and boost situation and provide some mechanism of vacuum in both cases.

otterman

ILikeMy240sx wrote:crankcase blow by travels from the block to your intake.

There are two ways that it can travel from the block to your intake.

#1: You are not boosting and part throttle. This will create vacuum in the intake mani (after throttle body) causing the PCV valve to open and bring in the crankcase blow by from the block to the intake manifold.

#2: You are boosting. This closes the PCV valve but there is that T that will see the vacuum created by the turbo inlet. Crankcase blow by will travel from the block to your turbo inlet.

As you can see, in both cases, crankcase blow by travels from the block. This is precisely why they put the oil catch can where it is. Close to the block so that in both scenarios, it is catching the oil in the blow by gas.

By the way, you want to have both PCV and turbo inlet connected otherwise your engine is not getting rid of its crankcase blow by well. You have to account for both no-boost and boost situation and provide some mechanism of vacuum in both cases.
So does it matter if the catch can is after the T valve on the exhaust side of the valve cover?

silvia tech
Car: s13, s13, sentra, ford truck

yes the catch can between the the block and the T junction is so it will catch oil while the vapor will seperate and some will re-enter the valve cover while the rest will continue throught the T to the intake. This will help alieviate crankcase pressure. The reason the other side of the T is put into the intake stream is when the throttle opens more it will pull crankcase pressure at a greater rate. It keeps the crankcase pressure in check with engine speed. Every catch can I have run I ran from block to Catch can, aftermarket or obviously stock, the to the T. I then run the other side of the T to the intake. The other way to look at it is... Nissan spent billions of dollars paying a bunch of retarded smart engineers to develop the SR motor and that is the way they decided to route it. I am not saying those guys do everything as well as it could be but I am saying they might know something that I dont.

CMG

Thanks guys, it makes sense now. I was thinking about oil coming from the valve cover, I never even though about oil coming from the block to the intake.

natguerrero
Car: 240sx sr20det

<center></center>

this is how mine is .

ILikeMy240sx

^ That's the kind of PCV setup you WANT to avoid.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

ILikeMy240sx wrote:^ That's the kind of PCV setup you WANT to avoid.
but I heard tiny color matched cone filters add like 20 wheel camel power

I dont care what you say, Im going to go do it right now.

natguerrero

thats the way it was when i brought it ! but why should i avoid it ???

IanS

the lack of vacuum inside the crankcase under hard acceleration causes extra sludge buildup. There also a few other bad things that it causes but Im not sure, ILikeMy240SX would be more able to answer your question thoroughly.

ILikeMy240sx

natguerrero wrote:thats the way it was when i brought it ! but why should i avoid it ???
Like I said in my previous post, when you boost, your PCV valve closes so you need another source of vacuum to scavenge the crank case blow by. Stock system uses the turbo inlet as the source. Turbo inlet always sees vacuum so this would be an ideal place for crank case blow by to go to when you are boosting.

If you dont have that... crankcase blow by doesnt get scavenged effectively because of no suction. You are just venting to the ATM.

efrain240sx
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx HB

Ok what if you have it like this. Off the T, right side to a hose going down to block. Left side to a hose going to a catch can, catch can to a hose going down to intake pipe? keep in mind that I'm trying to keep out as much oil as I can from my intercooler piping.

natguerrero

alright thats some thing i need to fix do you have any pics of it ?

thanks a lot !

steeda763
Car: '91 S13 SR-Coupe, '96 BMW M3, '95 525iT

efrain240sx wrote:Ok what if you have it like this. Off the T, right side to a hose going down to block. Left side to a hose going to a catch can, catch can to a hose going down to intake pipe? keep in mind that I'm trying to keep out as much oil as I can from my intercooler piping.
I just set mine up this way. I had small amounts of oil firing from the BOV when I had the T routed directly back to the intake pipe. Adding a catch can in between cleared it right up.

supreamS14
Car: 96 240sx S13-blacktop Sr20deT

Could I use 2 aftermarket catch cans, 1 on each side for boosting and non-boosting?

supreamS14
Car: 96 240sx S13-blacktop Sr20deT

I put an aftermarket catch can between the intake side of the T. I left the stock can where it is on the other side of the T runs to the new can than to the intake. I tried before the maf and its not putting the power down to the ground. Should It go after the maf? I dident want to throw off the A/F-R by adding unmesured air after the maf or will that be alright?

Before or after the maf?

CMG

Huh?!? after the MAF, but there should be no need for two cans anyway...that's what we were discussing in the thread.

IanS

It is not unmetered air, it is supposed to go in after the MAFs, plus that oily air will cause the MAFs to become dirty very fast.

B-TownSX
Car: 91 240sx in middle of SR swap

Does this "T" thing only apply on redtops? I remember seeing pics of cars running w/out the T. I already took mine off thinking I don't need it, but my sr is also not running right now. Trying to find out why. I have a Type X blacktop.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Some S13 SRs have had that T broken off and removed. Which is a bad thing.

S14 and S15s don't run a catch can. Instead they have two hoses going into the valve cover. One routes to the intake hose, the other to the block. From what I can gather, there's a mesh insert in the block right under the hose inlet that helps condense oil vapor and cause it to drain back into the block. Much like the stock S13 catch can does

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”