chain guides/oil pump cover

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
edfishjr

Doing my chains and guides and thought you guys might find this interesting: The driver's side chain has cut the wall down from .247 to .080" on the oil pump cover boss.

Question: Where can you attach a hoist or other support to the engine topside to allow removal of the pan? I've got some big pieces of guide in there somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Edwardo

forecast

You have two options

1. Do the overhead hoist method. This is safer, but the hoist gets bothersome since the legs will occupy your workspace.

2. Put a block and jack under the tranny bell, and let the engine hang "rebuild stand" style. This requires a concrete floor and a vow never to get physically under the engine.

All Q's have hoist point in the top rear RH side. The front LH side point almost never has the hoist point. Get a long bolt equivalent in size and thread to the AC compressor to bracket bolts and bolt a chain to the LH head on the side, above the exahust, about where the power steering tube descends from the resivoir. At that point there is two side by side holes in the head. The rear one will have a bolt and a grounding strap already in it.

You'll be pulling the AC compressor anyway, but I'd recommend against using one of those bolts to bolt a chain to head because of the risk of bending it.

edfishjr

Thanks, Forecast. I have in mind designing a frame from 4 x 4's to span over the top of the engine with short pieces of chain down to the support points. I don't have room to bring an engine hoist in from the front where the car is now and I have reservations, as you state, about supporting it from below.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

They make a special metal support to hold the engine [something like a cross] which has legs that rest on the body outside the shock towers and across the top of the plenum from firewall to front xcoss member and bolts to secure the chains.

The supprt from the tranny alone is not safe unless you use another screw jack to support the damper via a wooden block.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”